chevy 350 problem

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

chevy 350 problem

Post by Canes350 »

I have had my boat for about 3 months ran it on the weekends. And when i had to buy a new prop i knew my boat would be down for a little while so i decided to take it apart and port and polish the heads and advance the cam. i got it all back together and the boat started up we ran it adjusted the valves the boat ran fine. now 2 weeks later i try to start it and it will barely turn over. checked the battery checked the grounds checked the starter checked the timing and i just primed the oil still barely turns over. any suggestions?
It might not be pretty, but it's paid for

lanny haff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: chevy 350 problem

Post by lanny haff »

how hard is it to turn by hand /
Lanny

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

i can barely turn it :x
it's a struggle to inch it that is just by the fly wheel

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

Did you take the crank out? Sounds like you spun a bearing,if not ,pull the plugs and make sure your not getting water in one or more cyls making it hard to turn over.
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

no the crank has not been out and yes the plugs are out now

lanny haff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lanny haff »

How far did you go into the motor did you change the timing set? how did you adjust the valves? did the lifters still have oil in them or were they dry ?
Lanny

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

i only went in to the top end. took the heads off and advanced the cam to the 4 degree setting. and i did get oil pressure back up with an old distributer and a drill. the only thing that gets me is the motor ran after i got it all back together now it dont

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

Gaulded piston(s)

Cut your oil filter apart and look inside to see if she is making lots of metal. A hack saw works quite well.

Cut the crimped end off about an 1/8" below the crimp. Pull the accordion looking filter element apart and look in between the rows.

More air requires more fuel. I have a 4K set of heads that required an increase of 18 jet sizes square to get the EGT's to an acceptable range at governed RPM.

If you were able to get the heads to flow better??? There is a possibility you experienced a lean condition. Lean condition causing extreme cylinder temperature-

Still might be worth cutting your oil filter apart.
Last edited by flying fish on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

i havent dont it yet but if i see metal it pretty much means i have a spun bearing huh

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

You have eliminated the possibility of hydraulicing fluid when you removed the spark plugs.

Having read what you did to your motor and now she appears to be trying to seize up, I would guess a lean condition.
Last edited by flying fish on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

i cut the filter open i did have some metal shavings in there but i dont know if the filter had been changed since it was rebuilt

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

the really crappy part about it is my prop came in friday and i really want to see what she will do with a composite prop now i run into this :x

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

If this is a reduction drive type power plant, make sure your reduction unit is not causing your problem. If she is a direct drive, make sure the starter bendix is not locked against the flywheel and starter causing the problem.

This next bit of BS is something I would strongly suggest. However, just a suggestion.

I think one could have changed the oil in this engine as soon as she was aquired and the filter also could have been cut apart at the time of aquiring the engine.

Also, you had this engine open to the element. Engine oil and filter could have been changed before firing her up after completion of camshaft change and head work. Then, after getting her up to operating temperature, engine oil could have been dropped again and filter changed. I see the need to have changed engine oil 3 times just because. Have no idea as to the time she was ran. Cleanliness is a must in keeping her happy-

Not saying this is how you have to do oil changes, but, I guarantee this is how I would have done it and strongly preach the same.

czech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by czech »

Same happened to me.I bought a boat man claiming that all is well.It ran fine when I went check it out.Launched the boat on the river gave it the gas and it started to slow down.I mean I had just started off.I shut the engine down,drifted back in.Went home,drop pan and there is was...not but 4 spun bearings.It was hard to turn by hand,,,,,even the battery would not turn it.Two possiblities maybe three.Crank;cylinders or fuel contaminated by foriegn substances from someone.
When it gets to tough for everybody else,that's when its just right for me.15 X 7.5 Duckmaster,330 hp 350,79 3 bld whisper tip....and that's enough for me.

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

well thanks for all the info even though i didnt want to really here that kind i guese i will be pulling it apart tomorrow when i get off work to see inside of her but i just have a sick feeling that is probably a spun bearing

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

well before i went ahead and started taking the motor apart i took my starter to my buddiesand tried it on his boat. turns out the starter is bad even after i took it to two different places and they said it was good. I havent bought a new one yet i have to do a little bit of mods to the motor mounts to fit one of those big discount starters in there. and get mine rebuilt. so hopefully this will be the end of this little problem :lol:

Champ18ft
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Champ18ft »

Well, just curious. After you removed the starter did the motor turn?
13-5' Gilleo Lazer 0-540 A/V 74" Q
ImageImage

COCOAAIRBOAT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by COCOAAIRBOAT »

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR MINI HIGH TORQUE REBUILT CHEAPER THAN BUYING A NEW STARTER,
REAL AIRBOATERS DONT CARE WHAT THEIR FRIENDS RUN AS LONG AS THEY ARE OUT THERE RUNNING WITH THEM !!!

Canes350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Canes350 »

yes the motor would turn. i took the starter over to my buddies and put it on his boat and it wouldn't turn it over either. So i droppeed the starter off at the local auto electric shop. Hopefully that will be the end of this little problem :lol:

COCOAAIRBOAT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by COCOAAIRBOAT »

WELL IM GLADE TO HERE YOU DIDNT INTERNALY GRANADE A NEW ENGINE.
REAL AIRBOATERS DONT CARE WHAT THEIR FRIENDS RUN AS LONG AS THEY ARE OUT THERE RUNNING WITH THEM !!!

Return to “Automotive Power Only”