i wanna build a 4.3 chevy boat and i got some questions

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
greasemonkeymotors
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

i wanna build a 4.3 chevy boat and i got some questions

Post by greasemonkeymotors » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:15 pm

ok i have a 220 gpu boat now that i love but i want to build another boat something only a 2 seater that i can run when i feel like letting my 220 take a break. im really thinking i wanna build a 4.3 chevy motor assuming it would be better on gas then a 350 and its simple to work on also i can pick one up for next to nothing and it should be lighter then the 350. anyone on here have any experance with these motors on a boat? will a 350's gear box fit on of not who can i get a gear box from for it also whats a good size hull and prop for a set up like this. im not worried about speed at all but i defently wanna climb a hill and run dry with no trouble. please any info and leads to parts would be great.

whynot
Southern Airboat Member

Re: i wanna build a 4.3 chevy boat and i got some questions

Post by whynot » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm

We had a 4.3 vortec on a 12-6 apache. It did good running in the water but on land you had to be a little picky a to where you went. We then had it on the same hull with a rotator on it and it was turning an 2 blade 80" Master Blaster prop from Whirlwind and it had no problem running up to the oak head when it was dry and it would climb any of the dikes we needed to. Granted it really needed to have a smaller prop but had that one free at that moment. You can get the rotators at Classic airboats and a few other shops.

mudkat
Southern Airboat Member

Re: i wanna build a 4.3 chevy boat and i got some questions

Post by mudkat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:33 pm

I would bet a 350 with alum heads would end up lighter than the iron 4.3,you can get alum heads for the 4.3 but they are way more money than the SBC and are pretty hard to find.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”