amp gadge help??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

amp gadge help??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by JAMES » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:05 pm

hooked the new amp gadge up no redeing and the wires got hot as hell :roll: its on a 500 caddie i belive i hooked it up right but lets see what you all come up with pos+ on gadge to ?????????? neg - on gadge to ??????????? thanks :blackeye:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: amp gadge help??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by airduds » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Nothing to ground!!

Splice it into the wire going from the alternator to the battery. Negative on gauge to positive on battery. Positive to alternator.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:39 pm

:roll: u got me on that one i really dont understand :roll:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:07 pm

Ammeter measures current. Volt meter measures voltage. Volt meter wires positive to positive side of battery and negative to a ground. Volt meter can use small wire since no current passes through the meter. It's only measuring a difference in potential.

On the other hand, to measure current, the ammeter has to be a part of the circuit you're measuring. The positive goes to the "most positive" part of the circuit which is the output of the alternator. The negative is actually "less positive" and goes to the positive side of the battery.

In the image below there is a normally open circuit inside the starter solenoid.

Another good demonstration:

http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/inde ... ID=DCE3902
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:21 pm

more understanable thanks buddy :lol:

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 am

Nice Post'in Airdud's. :thumbup:

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by T-REX » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 am

great diagram airduds!

can any of the more intelligent folks out there tell me how or why a amp gauge would be better than a volt gauge? i personally have always stuck with the voltmeter-always seemed like the better way to go. since theres no load....thanks in advance.Tom

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:38 am

Get a volt meter! Lot easier to read and definately easier to wire positive ot positive and negative to negative!! they will for the most part tell you if everything is ok. I have rarely seen a alternater put out volts but no amps but it is very rare.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:39 am

:shock:
Last edited by MYDIXIEWRECKED on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

GWTW-000
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GWTW-000 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:39 am

To me an amp meter shows that the system is charging. Amps is what you need to crank. You can have 12 volts and little cranking amperage.

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by T-REX » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 am

if you have a bad battery- or cells in the battery-you can have 12.6v when engine off but once you give it a load it will drop....how does the amp gauge do this better?

when a charging system is working properly it should be in the mid 13v to 14.4v range- if running a bunch of acc. like big lights etc-mid 13's is ok.....what does the amp gauge read?

i thought it only tells you load through it? so if there are no acc. on does it say 0 ? what would itsay if no acc. on -but the alternator took a dump? 0? -1amp or whatever the ignition system is using?

and if lights are on does it say +15amps or whatever?

thanks guys i appreciate the input.

another question- why is it whenever trouble shooting a charging system(automotive) with a meter its always in volts?
i think the only time i've used it to check the load it was inline ( so i had to cut the circuit to interrupt it) but i was looking for a draw when vehicle was off. like a trunk light staying lit and killing a battery over night.

thanks again everyone. :)

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:53 pm

Ok, dont get all worked up about these silly gages. BOTH do EXACTLY the same thing. There is only ONE type of gage between Ammeter and Volts. It is a DeArsonval meter movement ( analog) and it is ALWAYS in series with what it is reading.

To "infer" voltage" from the meter a small resister is placed in Parallel with the load and the meter is placed in series with this resister. The ratio lets the meter while reading amps, actually DISPLAY volts. But both meters ONLY will read in a series circuit. That series circuit may be placed in parallel with the load to give a voltage reading but it is still and forever reading amps.

Sooooo it makes absolutely ZERO difference which way you read it. Amperage and Voltage are tied together in the physical world and are inseperable.

Scotty :)
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by airduds » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Scotty, everything you said is true in fact and detail, but in application they behave differently.

For instance, put a voltmeter across a car battery and then put an ammeter across it. Big difference.

And while the resistor in the volt meter is physically small, it has a very high resistance.

Old (now) Navy ET/Nuke here.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:49 pm

You can not put an ammeter ACROSS a battery unless you want an explosion. See my above explanation.

You are interpretiung them differently, they behave exactly the same because they are the same.

You can read a low battery with either voltmeter or ammeter, you can read a fully charged battery and tell the difference with either as well. At least I can. I caution anyone against thinking what you see is different. it isn't, this can get you into trouble with explosions, fires and burned off fingers :) It can also provide simple answers when none are obvious.

I'm just trying to keep it basic so were not going over the heads of others in the thread.

Old Navy ET here with 35 years in the industry since then. We talked before but I think you were an Airdale? I was a Bubblehead. Fleet Boats (Diesel Electric). OMG was it really that far back ! ! !??? HAhahahahahah OMG it sure was ! I got out of Uncle Sams Canoe Club in '73. Damn might as well start shoveling dirt on me now. The world sure has changed since then.

Anyway, Im not paid to change anyones mind here, just trying to help out. Have fun and be careful.

Scotty :)
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:35 pm

LOTS OF EXPLAINING HERE THANKS GUYS
1 MORE ??????????????????? I HAVE 2 WIRES FROM THE TOP OF THE ALT. AND 1 ON THE BACK THAT SAYS BATT. I UNDERSTAND I HOOK THE ONE ON THE ALT THAT READS BATT. TO THE BATT IN THE DIAGRAM SHOWS GADGE + TO ALT DO I HOOK IT TO THE ONE THAT SAYS BATT. OR ONE OF THE OTHER WIRES THAT COME FROM THE TO OF THE ALT.

I SAY THAT BEACUSE THE DIAGRAM SHOWS GADGE + TO MOST + ON ALT WHICH WOULD BE BATT. AND GADGE- TO THE BATT ALSO :roll:

Return to “Automotive Power Only”