1st Time Caddy Build

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
AirPat
Southern Airboat Member

1st Time Caddy Build

Post by AirPat » Fri May 01, 2009 9:20 am

I am finally picking my motor up from the machine shop today after a long wait. I am going to start to assemble the motor tomorrow. I have never built a motor before so I am looking for any pointers you guys have. I have bought about every book there is to buy on this motor and have read countless post on here about the cad motor. Here is a short run down of what I have:
Motor was a 472.
New 500 crank ground and polished.
.30 over
New Potter DD cam and springs
Silvia (sp??) pistons
New valves
Cloyes chain
New edlebrock intake
All machine work done.
Basically the only parts I kept from the original motor was the piston rods and the push rods. I know I am leaving things out. Looking for some pointers if anyone has any. The boat is a 15X8 fiberglass DD.

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: 1st Time Caddy Build

Post by Ruagatr » Fri May 01, 2009 9:25 am

This is a tough engine for your first build because they are unforgiving on tolerances. IGNORE the factory tolerances for this use. Your crankshaft main bearings need to be at least .001 oer inch of bearing or .00325. The rod side clearances MUST be at least 25 thousands if not 30. Mine are 35 in some of my engines. If the clearances are less, return the engine to the machine shop and get it done right. Your Silvolite pistons should be fine, as will the stock rods. Use the ARP bolts! and you MUST have the rods resized if you use these bolts. Use a FACTORY aluminum oil pump, NOT the mellings pumps--they are junk. Feel free to call me for help as you go--you will thank yourslef for spending two extra weeks doing this right rather than burning it up and starting over...Charles (954) 444-three 189

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Fri May 01, 2009 11:48 am

WHAT KINDA BEARINGS DID U BUY??? AND FOR GASKETS SOME OF THE CHEAPER GASKETS TEND TO HAVE WEAK REAR MAINS ALSO I SEE U BOUGHT POTTERS D/D CAM DID U GET THE ACC.CAP FOR THE END OF THE CAM BECAUSE THE STOCK CAP WILL RUB ALL THEM WILL DO THAT FROM THE CAM WALKING A LIL BIT. BUT IF U NEED TO U CAN USE POTTERS (ROLLER CAM BUTTON) IT WILL STOP THE WALKIN WHEN MINE DID IT IT LIKE DUG INTO THE TIMING COVER. AND I TAKE IT YOUR USING THE 493 HEADS 120CC U SAID NEW VALVES DID U BUY THE 1 PIECE SS STOCK SZ OR OE VALVES

GOOD LUCK
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

fatboy0054
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fatboy0054 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:09 pm

The phone call to Clarles will be the best thing you could do !And will save you more wallett than you will ever know !Just plain fact !Wasnt going to there but i guess i allready did !Dam it ,hate when that happen ! :lol:
(Disclaimer )! Which means ! Dont try to sue me for your own stupidity !
http://www.mymudspace.com/fatboy0054
http://www.myspace.com/fatboy0054

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater » Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Do not drive your crank timming gear with a hammer.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

bob500
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bob500 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:37 pm

I have learned that Ruagtr has forgotten more about Caddy motors than most know. He is a wealth of knowledge. If he says it, count on it. He and Bondsman are most generous with accurate information. Having the sense enough to listen can be a challenge for some. Both have been exceptional resources for my build that is almost done.

Bob

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler » Tue May 05, 2009 10:39 am

bob500 wrote:I have learned that Ruagtr has forgotten more about Caddy motors than most know. He is a wealth of knowledge. If he says it, count on it. He and Bondsman are most generous with accurate information. Having the sense enough to listen can be a challenge for some. Both have been exceptional resources for my build that is almost done.

Bob
I 2nd that :D :D :D

AirPat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AirPat » Thu May 07, 2009 10:54 am

I appreciate all the info. I was unable to start the build becuase the rod bearings I recieved with the crank are damaged. The company is sending over another set.
James,
The gaskets are Fellpro. I am not sure what you are talking about on the cam. I had the machine shop call Potter for any special instructions and he said I should be fine. The valves are one piece. The heads are 76cc. Rings and bearings are from Federal Mogal ? I bought a kit with all the parts and this is what it said on the box.

Ruagatr,
Thank you for the offer. I am sure I will take you up on it.

Thanks again,
Pat

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by T-REX » Thu May 07, 2009 7:41 pm

make sure you use a cloyes roller timing chain. PERIOD. :)
not stock replacement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AirPat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AirPat » Fri May 08, 2009 8:20 am

10-4 on the Cloyes. That is what I have.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”