Newbie - first post

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Newbie - first post

Post by NotAGuide »

Justed wanted to introduce my self to the world of Southern Airboaters. I live in Waco, Tx and am new to airboating in general. After hunting on the coast for several years as a passenger, I've decided to take the drivers seat by purchasing a 18ft. boat. Its a '89 American hull with aluminum cage and stand, running a '73up 454 with CH3 2:1 reduction and 3-blade Whirlwind. I'll post pics as soon as I can find my camera.

The boats a little on the rough side at the moment but runs pretty strong on green grass. I've got most everything pulled from the hull accept the engine stand and motor. I'll be replacing the drive-belt, tuning the engine, repair accelerator pump leak, repairing a few welds, painting the hull and cage, replacing all the gages and wiring, along with new seat covers. It just needs a little TLC and should be a pretty nice rig. I've been lurking around the site for over two years and am excited to finally join in. Thanks in advance for all the great knowledge and help this site provides.
Professional JB Welder
Old 18' American hull, 470CID S&S, Ch3 2:1, 3-blade Whirlwind Whisper Tip
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Newbie - first post

Post by Waterthunder »

Get ready for a good time. Hope all goes well for ya! Your at the right site if ya need any help!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316
YELLOWHAMMER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by YELLOWHAMMER »

i have friends an family in texas welcome to southernairboat
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Welcome to Southern Airboat ! Were glad ya found us, were all here to help eachother so anything you wonder about, don't be afraid to ask up. Likely most of us have seen it or experienced it at one time or another.

Welcome aboard

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.
HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

Welcome and have fun :D :D :D :D
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA
John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

Welcome aboard.
NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

Thanks for the welcome!

Here's my first question. The radiator is currently hanging form the cage above the motor. From what I've seen, most are attached below on the engine stand. Seems to be plenty of room for it be relocated below. Any reason it would have been placed above the engine? The boat was used for bowfishing mostly.
Professional JB Welder
Old 18' American hull, 470CID S&S, Ch3 2:1, 3-blade Whirlwind Whisper Tip
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Yeh up there these monster radiators add a bit of nippiness to the boat. Also it is easy to fill them as your filling from the top of the system.

There are lots of folks here with bottom radiators. Maybe Waterthunder or someone else will chime in how to set it up down low. I know it has to be filled from up top though. I have seen posts on this but just don't remember right now. You also might peruse the Automotive section about it, I'd bet theres a description about how its done there.

Hey you should introduce yourself out in Airboat Talk as well, don't hide in here. We get along with carmotor folks too ya know :)
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.
kneeboarder
Southern Airboat Member

Post by kneeboarder »

welcome along brother. i think you'll have some of the best and wildest time out on your boat i know i have
yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

Welcome aboard, TONS of good info on here. As far as your radiator set up, do a search in the automotive section and youll find more than a few threads on the matter! I used to live in ft worth and i know theres some guys on here from your area!
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.
Lonewolf9029
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Lonewolf9029 »

Hello Notaguide: welcome to SA. There are quite a few Texans on here. Lots of good info gets passed around here all the time. They've put up with me so I know they can put up with you. Welcome. Don
TAA-426 15' x 7' Panther>>>350>>>2.68 Rotator gearbox>>.Sensenich 3bld 80" "R" series

Return to “Automotive Power Only”