Coates Rotary Heads

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

Coates Rotary Heads

Post by STINGER477 »

I stumbled on to this site looking for something else, Any one ever heard of Coates International?
They seem to specialize in a rotary head design for alot of different engines that replaces the common poppet style valve train, uses no cam shaft, and claiming crazy high RPM's. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm very curious.

Look-up Coates International LTD. for the website.
BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Coates Rotary Heads

Post by BigJakesrq »

They're pretty cool and claim to flow 319 cfm fully open, but my first thought was sense the motor is always spinning that means the valves would always be turning. So I would think the you cfm's would be going up and down all the time never really fully open except for a millisecond. The faster your turning the motor the faster they would have to spin too, obviously. The concept is pretty cool. Though I have my doubts about there claims. I'm wonder what they ride on to seal and how well does it seal? Does it ware out? If they're as good as they claim why wouldn't on of the big manufactures pick them up? To many if's for me, but cool none the less.
lanny haff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Coates Rotary Heads

Post by lanny haff »

There used to be a motorcycle made in Demark called a Nimbus. It had a4cyl. inline engine. They had problems with it sealing when it got hot the clearances closed up + the valve partialy seized because there was too much expansion on the seals.
Lanny

Return to “Automotive Power Only”