1100 cui aluminum ford v-8

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

1100 cui aluminum ford v-8

Post by Bdriller » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Ive been away from airboating for quite awhile am thinking about building another boat, ive read alot of threads on these forums did not realise there were so many new and different things available if yall could bear with me for some questions please. What is the best polymer to run these days? I read a thread on this forum that the white cracks up and maybe the black dont? Also belt drive verses gear drive? Are the graphite props reversible for the gear drive? Are there any cadillac motors left in the world? Aer they recasting aluminum heads for the caddys? What is max tip speed that these new graphite props can stand before trouble? My last boat was a 20x8 cottonmouth 1969 caddy 2-1 belt drive 90x46 paddle 3/8 white polymer 50 gal. fuel which i could easily run through in 5 hrs. I could spin this prop at 850fps. Thinking real serious about going back to a 16x8 dd with a caddy being that its not required we get up out of the water. I want a 35 mph cruiser that gets mileage i can afford. I would love to build one of those aluminum 1100 cui motors but I guess with the cost ill have to wait and watch someone else do it one of these days thanx.

BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: 1100 cui aluminum ford v-8

Post by BigJakesrq » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Ive been away from airboating for quite awhile am thinking about building another boat, ive read alot of threads on these forums did not realise there were so many new and different things available if yall could bear with me for some questions please. What is the best polymer to run these days? Blue Iron super slide I read a thread on this forum that the white cracks up and maybe the black dont? Also belt drive verses gear drive?I'd go with a "soft" gear drive Are the graphite props reversible for the gear drive?They are sold in Left hand or Right hand ratation, not reversable. A belt drive will spin the same way as the engine, but a gear drive will be reversed Are there any cadillac motors left in the world?Still lots of caddie out there on the water, from what I've read you only want the 472 or 500's Aer they recasting aluminum heads for the caddys?I'm not sure about this, but a quick google search would give you that answer What is max tip speed that these new graphite props can stand before trouble?They are carbon fiber and it depends on the blade. Som of the new blades are made wide to make lots of thrust at a lower prop speed, by going through a gear/belt box. The direct drive props pretty much have to stay under 3,000rpm per the manufactures ratings My last boat was a 20x8 cottonmouth 1969 caddy 2-1 belt drive 90x46 paddle 3/8 white polymer 50 gal. fuel which i could easily run through in 5 hrs. I could spin this prop at 850fps. Thinking real serious about going back to a 16x8 dd with a caddy being that its not required we get up out of the water. I want a 35 mph cruiser that gets mileage i can afford. I would love to build one of those aluminum 1100 cui motors but I guess with the cost ill have to wait and watch someone else do it one of these days thanx.

Sounds to me like you are a caddie man. If you want a caddie I'd think about going with a gear reduction and some R or S blades. I'm not a caddie guy though and I don't know a lot about them. There are some hard core caddie guys on SA and I'm sure they chime in. Welcome back to the world of airboating.

mMontana
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 1100 cui aluminum ford v-8

Post by mMontana » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:08 pm

I used to have a dd caddie great boat!!! when I got my next boat I went 502bb crate motor with a 2.3 belt drive and 81" 3 blade r series runs great my buddy has a caddie with 1.88 stinger with the same prop right hand rotation 81" r and we both turn the prop tip speed the same and have 15' x 7'4'" boats. I almost went caddie again but they are just so much more costly to work on and preformance parts roller rockers valve covers ect. are hard to find and expensive just my opinon not that it is worth much but I love my 502.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”