Big Jakes motor on the thrust tester!

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Big Jakes motor on the thrust tester!

Post by Waterthunder » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:18 pm

This prop made the most thrust set on the 2nd mark. The prop is a Sensenich 4 blade 83'' R blade!

[satv-mp]http://southernairboat.com/photopost/da ... V03496.MPG[/satv-mp]

http://southernairboat.com/photopost/da ... V03496.MPG
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

watersports7
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Big Jakes motor on the thrust tester!

Post by watersports7 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:24 pm

nice work Dave
12' Predator / Lycoming 4 Cylinder / Old Skool 68x38 Stick Prop
Perfectly said by Lycoming: Some engines purr like kittens. These roar!

BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BigJakesrq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Hmmm Thought it was supposed to be a 82'' blade. Are there different sized hubs for the 4 blade. Hell i really don't care with the little bit of thrust I gain by spinning it harder....... Just wondering I trimmed an inch and add more pitch keep it around 5500rpm. I'm going to keep it as is for now, but maybe down the road I'll see if I can do some tweaking or borrow a prop that would be 82'' over all and see what is to be gained. Either way I could not be happier........ untill I get on the boat :D Thanks for the video Dave, it's nice to be able to see it while I'm stuck over here in the desert

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:47 pm

JAKE I HOPE THERE IS SOME WATER FOR YOU HERE IN JANUARY, BUT FROM THE LOOK OF THAT MOTOR IT WON'T BE NEEDED!!
I LOVE THE SMELL OF AV GAS IN THE MORNING. IT SMELLS LIKE..... VICTORY

BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BigJakesrq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:21 pm

MJD291 wrote:JAKE I HOPE THERE IS SOME WATER FOR YOU HERE IN JANUARY, BUT FROM THE LOOK OF THAT MOTOR IT WON'T BE NEEDED!!
Water would be nice, but we don't need water with airboats, it's optional. Just got to stay away from that black mud. Though I'm curious to see what all this power and push is going to do for me on them floating islands and black mud. Of coarse I'm went to a bigger hull so, I really am not sure what to expect. In the end I'm sure there will be a smile on my face from ear to ear.

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Most of the Sensenich'es measure about an inch longer! It's called a 82'' but it actually measures 83''!

321-508-5316

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:45 pm

That one sounds great! How much thrust did it make? And at what RPM's? How much at 2500 RPM's? How much HP/Torgue did that motor make on the Dyno? At what RPM's? On the prop how much pitch in Degrees was the #2 mark?
Last edited by skinny99 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:45 pm

where was that thing located? How does that measure push or thrust?

BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BigJakesrq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:29 pm

skinny99 wrote:That one sounds great! How much thrust did it make? And at what RPM's? How much at 2500 RPM's? How much HP/Torgue did that motor make on the Dyno? At what RPM's? On the prop how much pitch in Degrees was the #2 mark?
How much thrust did it make?
A lot! Dave can poat the exact peak number if he wants.

And at what RPM's?
That's a bit of a loaded question. It made awesome thrust all the way to about 5,500 and gains were harder to get after that. The thrust has a pretty flat curve up to 5500rpm after that we have to spin it pretty hard to get an increase.

How much HP/Torgue did that motor make on the Dyno?
Didn't run it on the dyno, I'm not worried about hp/tq numbers. I want to spin a 82'' 4 blade R pretty good and we're doing that. I'm making enongh thrust to keep me happy 8)

On the prop how much pitch in Degrees was the #2 mark? About 12*
pontoon outlaw wrote:where was that thing located? How does that measure push or thrust?
That is Waterthunder's thrust tester and it's in Melbourne, Florida.

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 pm

BigJakesrq wrote:
skinny99 wrote:That one sounds great! How much thrust did it make? And at what RPM's? How much at 2500 RPM's? How much HP/Torgue did that motor make on the Dyno? At what RPM's? On the prop how much pitch in Degrees was the #2 mark?
How much thrust did it make?
A lot!
I bet! That should be a nasty combo!
And at what RPM's?
That's a but of a loaded question. It made awesome thrust all the way to about 5,500 and gains were harder to get after that.
Because the motor was at the top of its power range or because the prop became less efficent?

How much HP/Torgue did that motor make on the Dyno?
Didn't run it on the dyno, I'm not worried about hp/tq numbers. I want to spin a 82'' 4 blade R pretty good and we're doing that. I'm making enongh thrust to keep me happy 8)

I understand not worrying about the numbers. They dont push the boat! LOL Did you get an estimate though?
I am just curious if the combo makes maximum thrust at the HP peak or Torque peak or at some point in between.

On the prop how much pitch in Degrees was the #2 mark? About 12*
Also if this combo turns a 4 Bld 5500 at 12*, What would the pitch have to be set on a 3 Bld version? 16*-18* or more?

Not critiqueing your build just curious about some setups!

big3country8
Southern Airboat Member

Post by big3country8 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:08 pm

i have a thunder efi 418 with an 81-1/2in 3 blade R and it spun 5700 with 17 degrees of pitch, hoping there will be a lil more when she gets broke in also..... and i dunno if he wants to talk thrust numbers or not but it was a lot.
Temporary High
12' clendenin aluminum step with poly, 418 waterthunder, 2.68 OX, 9 blade saber, ATF rigged, nitrous outlet,, buttrax custom seats.

BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BigJakesrq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 pm

big3country8 wrote:i have a thunder efi 418 with an 81-1/2in 3 blade R and it spun 5700 with 17 degrees of pitch, hoping there will be a lil more when she gets broke in also..... and i dunno if he wants to talk thrust numbers or not but it was a lot.
and I bet it has a ton of snap with the 3 blade. Also bare in mind that anything done on the test stand is static so on a boat you're going to pick up some rpms

I bet yours is on one of them 321 "ride" race boats 8)

MilkManDan
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MilkManDan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:43 pm

I wonder how this compares to my dads 540 bbc. It turns a 4 blade r on 2 5100 with a 2.38. That is a prop speed of 2143. Never measured the thrust but it would be interesting to see how it compares to a small block. The prop speed of yours is 2052.

big3country8
Southern Airboat Member

Post by big3country8 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

it is one of the 321 boats lol when i ever get it done, wiring and lil things are all im lacking..... and as far as that 540 post my dads boat we just got rid of was a 496 with a 2.68 spinning an 82.5in 4 blade r set of 2.5 5400 and when we got rid of it the kid messed with the throttle cable 'evidently it had stretched in the year the boat had been together" and it went from spinning 5400 to 6400 lol i almost shiat myself when he told me that!!!!!! it was nasty at 5400 hahahaha
Temporary High
12' clendenin aluminum step with poly, 418 waterthunder, 2.68 OX, 9 blade saber, ATF rigged, nitrous outlet,, buttrax custom seats.

travis87
Southern Airboat Member

Post by travis87 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm

big3country8 wrote:it is one of the 321 boats lol when i ever get it done, wiring and lil things are all im lacking..... and as far as that 540 post my dads boat we just got rid of was a 496 with a 2.68 spinning an 82.5in 4 blade r set of 2.5 5400 and when we got rid of it the kid messed with the throttle cable 'evidently it had stretched in the year the boat had been together" and it went from spinning 5400 to 6400 lol i almost shiat myself when he told me that!!!!!! it was nasty at 5400 hahahaha

not bashing yur dads old boat it runs damn good but eddie told me the same thing about the throttle then he told me he changed the jets in carb and gained 700 rpm so i guess he has gained 1700 rpm with both changes? maybe but i dont think so..

big3country8
Southern Airboat Member

Post by big3country8 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Didn't hear the jet one lol but yeah your probably right on that one, all I know is I've heard he's squirrley!!!
Temporary High

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 pm

big3country8 wrote:it is one of the 321 boats lol when i ever get it done, wiring and lil things are all im lacking..... and as far as that 540 post my dads boat we just got rid of was a 496 with a 2.68 spinning an 82.5in 4 blade r set of 2.5 5400 and when we got rid of it the kid messed with the throttle cable 'evidently it had stretched in the year the boat had been together" and it went from spinning 5400 to 6400 lol i almost shiat myself when he told me that!!!!!! it was nasty at 5400 hahahaha

YOU MUST BE A UNION WORKER WITH THE SPEED AT WHICH THAT BOAT HAS GONE TOGETHER. :mrgreen: ARE WE EVER GOING TO SEE THAT BEAST MAKE IT TO THE RIVER??

big3country8
Southern Airboat Member

Post by big3country8 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Lol union electrician!!! It's getting there hold your horses, why rush? Cause you know once you ride in it or drive it that lycoming will have a for sale or trade for car motor sign on it hahaha!
Temporary High

MJD291
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by MJD291 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:47 am

:)

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:41 am

big3country8 wrote:Lol union electrician!!! It's getting there hold your horses, why rush? Cause you know once you ride in it or drive it that lycoming will have a for sale or trade for car motor sign on it hahaha!
Ain't no doubt about that! LOL I went from a 540 to a WAterThunder LS. There really is no comparison. My brother talked to one of the Real smart aircraft guys down in the glades last weekend. He had been running a 540 with lots of work done to it(a racer too) He just bought a waterthunder engine and said he'd NEVER even think of an aircraft again! Just sayin' :D
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:34 am

With the right 3 blade you can make the same thrust with a 3 and a 4 blade the only major difference is the thrust curve. I will also say with the 4 blade it's no where near as crucial to set the pitch at the optimum point. We have worked very hard on the carburetored 418 stroker. In just the last month alone we have changed the head combo, cam combo, intake combo and the compression. We made about 20 pulls on this motor, also another fact I must add is all combos turn less RPM's and pitch on our thrust tester because there are no air flow obstructions such as seats, gas tanks, cage, hull, rigging and so on. So when this combo goes into a boat it will need more pitch to maintain the same RPM's. I like it this way because we can always grantee a base line minimum prop setting and the combo on a boat will always out perform the base line. The thrust will be exactly the same you will just need more pitch to do so as long as you have enough prop.

321-508-5316

jonstar
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jonstar » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:34 am

BigJakesrq wrote:Hmmm Thought it was supposed to be a 82'' blade. Are there different sized hubs for the 4 blade. Hell i really don't care with the little bit of thrust I gain by spinning it harder....... Just wondering I trimmed an inch and add more pitch keep it around 5500rpm. I'm going to keep it as is for now, but maybe down the road I'll see if I can do some tweaking or borrow a prop that would be 82'' over all and see what is to be gained. Either way I could not be happier........ untill I get on the boat :D Thanks for the video Dave, it's nice to be able to see it while I'm stuck over here in the desert
ONLY MAN I'VE EVER SEEN COMPLAIN ABOUT HAVIN' AN EXTRA INCH!!!!

HAHAH SOUNDS AWESOME JAKE!
12'6" Diamondback 350 SBC Direct Drive

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:59 am

That's funny there I don't care who ya are. Not only does he have an extra inch he is using it with authority! This motor snaps that 4 blade hard!

MyDixie Wrecked the guy you mentioned calls me three times a week and everytime he say's he can't believe the difference. He is also shocked at how much less fuel he burns now plus he can just run 7/11 pump gas instead of AV gas. He told me he can go to the cabin and back and ride on only one tank no more carrying 5 gas cans.

321-508-5316

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Hey WT can you post the Thrust curves on a 3 and 4 blade on a similar Combo? What RPM does that motor make maximum torque at? How bout HP?

Return to “Automotive Power Only”