383 Chevy motor

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Dangle-D
Southern Airboat Member

383 Chevy motor

Post by Dangle-D » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi. I live in Michigan. I plan on using my boat on the ice. What should I know about cold weather starts? Or any other info on cold weather use with airboats? Newbeeeeeeee:) Thanks ahead of time.

walleye52753
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 383 Chevy motor

Post by walleye52753 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Welcome to the site, its always good to see another airboater from the midwest onboard! Its an addiction like no other.
Run a thermostat for sure. Airboats tend to run cool and that can cause a problem with our winter climate. If you plan on moving back and forth from ice to open water you will want a sturdy aluminum hull with good poly on bottom.
Ron Miller and Carpshooter, and RobertI53, and "Bob in Canada" are some icerunners on the site. All four have been a big help to me.

The only real advice i can give is:
1. Either sacrifice the cash for what is inevitable. (gear reduction/prop...etc) Or just setup a dependable Direct drive boat at a bare minimal cost until you are ready to do a major upgrade. Going midway between those two just costs you alot more money in the long run. I ended up buying new parts for my direct drive,using them for a summer, and then selling them to upgrade. Its no different than driving a new vehicle off the lot and trying to resell it a day later. RIGHT NOW YOU MIGHT LOOK AT THE COST OF SOME OF THESE PARTS AND THINK "THAT IS NUTS"!!! BUT DONT WORRY...YOU WILL BE AS NUTS AS THE REST OF US SOON. MORE THAN ONE HAS FLOWN OVER THE COO-COO'S NEST IN HERE!!!! :D
2. think out of the box when it comes to your engine selection. what may be bad a$$ on a drag car may not necessarily be the best choice for your airboat. Just ask and you will get lots of great advice from great guys on this site.
just a few things I wish i would have done differently.
good luck
andy
alum. head roller 406 sbc/2.09 Stinger/ 3 blade R/ 14x8 marshmaster

Dangle-D
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dangle-D » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks for reponse walleye.
My boat is a 16 ft panther w/poly a 383 zz GM crate with a 2/1 franklin belt drive.
I know i need to beef up the rear of the hull . I was just wondering about the high idle in the cold . IT SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD JUST TAKE OFF.I also have three blade ww stump puller on it.

Utah Scooter
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Utah Scooter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:59 am

There is a thread titled 'tips for running on snow and ice' that has some great advice. At an idle you aren't likely to take off unless you are on supersmooth ice with a tailwind. Ice is really rough on a hull too. I especially hate when the ice is about 4 inches thick and you can't quite get up on it good enough to get going. That is pretty mean. Poly up the sides is a good thing too. There are 2 boats out here that just this week got holes punched in them from the ice. Good thing it's shallow water out on the great salt lake.
Custom built 14 x 7 'scooter' hull - red hot superslide poly - 2.12 rotator - 6 blade turbo warp drive - 383 stroker - rear deckover - deep sides - utah drivers seat -

watersports7
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by watersports7 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 am

12' Predator / Lycoming 4 Cylinder / Old Skool 68x38 Stick Prop
Perfectly said by Lycoming: Some engines purr like kittens. These roar!

walleye52753
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by walleye52753 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

ok disregard. looks like you are a few steps ahead of most nembies. good luck :D

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:24 pm

This is some of the stuff I do for cold weather starting ...

- magnetic base block heater on the oil pan for a few hours before I plan on going out .
You can take it right off before you start the engine and not worry about a loose cord in the prop.
- 5 w 30 motor oil .
- Heet gas line anti freeze ( in the yellow bottle ) . It makes the world of difference , don't know what's special about this stuff but it is.
- start the boat at home , warm it up then go out . Nothing worse that towing for an hour , then back home when it won't start .
- Start the boat every hour or so if you are parked out on the ice to keep it warm.
- 160 degree thermostat with 50/50 Prestone /Water mix . ( good to -45 )
- good battery cables and clamps .
- if you have any doubt about your battery get rid of it and get a new one .
- After you use your boat fill the tank back up BEFORE you park it . If you leave it with a 1/4 tank parked you fuel system will get full of condensation and ice up .
- if you have a spin on fuel filter/ water separator change it now.

I'm not sure if you have fast idle with the choke or an idle stop solenoid to prevent run on .
If it's a choke and fast idle your laughing , it should start really well in the cold. If it takes a minute for the idle to settle down just pull full stick if it's on bare ice and it will just do a few circles on you before the idle steps down .
If the choke is an electric GM style you could try leaving the ignition on for a minute or two to pre heat the choke pull off before you start the engine . The choke should open right away like that . Pump it to start it.
If the fast idle is a real problem wire the choke open and pump it with the accelerator pump to start it cold .
If you have specific questions fire away I'll do my best to answer.
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Like Utah Scooter said thin ice is the worst for your hull . If you are breaking through and can't get up on the ice it's very hard for your hull to break the ice that is still flat and pushing into the sides . The front of your boat will climb up then the weight of you boat will push down and break the ice under you .
One of the guys here called it "Railroading " . You end up in a slot your boat is breaking and can't turn out of the slot in the ice . The side pressure is a hull wrecker . Go slow till you can climb up on the ice and stay up.

walleye52753
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by walleye52753 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:10 am

I talked to a guy up here last winter with an alumitech. He said he has pushed his gunnels back out to where they were supposed to be 3 or 4 times because of "Railroading". Id stick to well frozen waters.

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:28 am

I think it's because the hulls are wider at the back . The front breaks the channel in the ice then as the boat moves forward the rear part of the hull gets wedged in with solid ice on both sides.
The pressure on the sides of the hull push it in or rip it .

There were some pictures of that Alumitech hill on here and it looked bad . My boat is pressed in a bit at the back from thin ice . No more of that for me .

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Have any of y'all guys in the Cold ever wired up a power inverter to your truck so that you can use an oil pan heater while you drive to the "Lake"?
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

walleye52753
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by walleye52753 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Bob in Canada wrote:I think it's because the hulls are wider at the back . The front breaks the channel in the ice then as the boat moves forward the rear part of the hull gets wedged in with solid ice on both sides.
The pressure on the sides of the hull push it in or rip it .

There were some pictures of that Alumitech hill on here and it looked bad . My boat is pressed in a bit at the back from thin ice . No more of that for me .
The hull i saw was a local guy up here that uses his boat to get to his house during floods. He lives on the Rock river in illinois...and unfortunately it is prone to ice jams that cause flooding. That causes alot of "rotten ice". the sides were mangled! He said that he actually had to have someone slide him a sledge hammer once to bust his boat free. Doesnt sound like fun to me..but if you ask him, he will say that 16' aluminum hull with a mercruiser 454 is the greatest invention ever.

walleye52753
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by walleye52753 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:42 pm

skinny99 wrote:Have any of y'all guys in the Cold ever wired up a power inverter to your truck so that you can use an oil pan heater while you drive to the "Lake"?
The windchill hitting the boat on the highway would easily overcome the heater. The entire system is basically engineered to disipate heat from air movement. There were days i ran my DD 383 without a thermostat and i could BARELY get my guage to twitch! :D I was so bundled up i would have sunk my PFD if i went under. Darn good idea with a wind block though.

Dangle-D
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dangle-D » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:35 am

Thanks for all of your feed back.Please keep all of opinoins coming. Like i said before I am a newbee to airboating.... I did buy this airboat for ice fishing the saginaw bay.
I have owned this boat since april of 2010 . I have taken it out on open water water about ten times. It did suprise me on how fast it goes gps 50 mph. very fast for me on water. The ice
will be a new experince . So thanks again for any tips.

Utah Scooter
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Utah Scooter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 am

I have never worried about a heater at all but in the winter it rarely gets below 0. Most of the time it is between 10 and 30 degrees depending on the time of day. I don't even choke my boat just run the fuel pump, pump the gas a few times and fire it up. Of course it takes a lot longer to warm up. I always keep a 4 x 4 board about 8 feet long on board too. Your boat will freeze to the ice sometimes and it is a bugger to break it loose. You can carry another board to park on top of to keep the whole bottom from sticking to the ice.
Custom built 14 x 7 'scooter' hull - red hot superslide poly - 2.12 rotator - 6 blade turbo warp drive - 383 stroker - rear deckover - deep sides - utah drivers seat -

Bulldog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bulldog » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 am

Another suggestion instead of the 4x4 8 foot long board is to use a couple of 3 inch thick fence posts. You can buy them from tractor supply for a song, they take up less room and because they are round will not stick to the ice like the flat board When your ready to take off.
16 foot DiamondBack, Stainless Rigging, 6 Liter Levitator, 80" 3 Blade R Series 3500 Lb Winch

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Back in the day when I worked on Heavy Equipment in the bush these are some of the extreme measures I've seen used to get engines to start at - 40 and lower .
- Draining the motor into a steel pail and boiling it on a fire , pour it back in the motor hot .
- lighting a fire infront of a pick up truck , letting the fire burn down to hot coals , pull the frozen pickup over whats left of the fire . Give it two hours or so and start it .
-6 feet of 6 inch stove pipe with a 6 inch 90 elbow at the end . Get the pipe on the ground with the 90 degree end facing up to the oil pan , put a burning propane tiger torch into the straight end of the pipe . The heat warms the pan but the direct flames don't hit it .( you hope)
Desperate times call for creative ideas . I wouldn't try any of the above mentioned on my boat unless it was life or death.
Bet the guys from Alaska have some dandy methods to get stuff running . :)

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 pm

an Espar block heater works fantastic.. We prefer to run Kerosene in them as it's much cleaner and reduces maintenance and improves reliability. http://www.espar.com/html/products/hydronic4.html

mich yankee
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mich yankee » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:53 pm

i live here in bay city mi i go out on the sag bay every year in my airboat i like to go from the hot ponds on to the ice and back and forth ,i watch for people to close to the bad ice ,happens every year its the out of towners that dont know any better, i hope everyone has a safe winter season this year. i have a alumitech 14;6 with a 383 stroker it works great on the ice , poly on the sides, no dents yet ,nock on wood.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”