Building first airboat(350dd)need HELP with prop selection

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Outdoor Nut
Southern Airboat Member

Building first airboat(350dd)need HELP with prop selection

Post by Outdoor Nut »

I have a 14ftx7ft alum hull.light rigging.Really need some help with how to build my motor(1978 350 4bolt,also plan on going with a wood prop. Trying to keep cost down for now.what prop length and pitch do i need. not really worried about running dry, just want to get on the water.

THANKS
Chris

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Building first airboat(350dd)need HELP with prop selecti

Post by cntry141iq »

Well just get a few drinks a couple of pads of paper and a handful of pencils and use the search button in the upper right corner of the screen. There is more info on them on here than you can imagine ... and just as many opinions .. it is all on here good luck on your build
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

hegatorman77
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hegatorman77 »

i just got done building my airboat it is a 14ft airgator aluminium deep water hull. i have a 1975 350 dd and i have a 70x40 wooden stick prop and it does well for me i can run dry with two people on it

little gore
Southern Airboat Member

Post by little gore »

i have found a good setup for me but every on has there owne idea i have a 11ft gore hull with a 350dd and a 72'' wispertip prop my moter is stock short block with 305HO heads my cam is lunati voodoo idle-5000 207/213 437/454 and i got the 1.52 roller tip rockers they give you a hair bit more lift. the lower the intack you can get the better and i have an HEI pro comp distributer with the kerv kit in it the kerv kit makes a big diferins cus thin your allredy advants. i can put 3 people and a cooler and 30gallen fulltanke plus a 5 galen extra tank and klim the hills in hernando and run prity much any were i need to go any thing i can help you with gust hit me up. hope this helps ya and good look.

Outdoor Nut
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Outdoor Nut »

Good info guys. I appreciate it. KEEP OT COMING.I want to get this right.

:D Chris

djh0405
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by djh0405 »

just remember, whats right for one may not be right for you so dont buy a prop just because someone tells you its the best or it made their boat be able to do this or that. best advise i can give you is go ahead and spend the money on a composite because then you can adjust your pitch to your boat. its easier and cheaper than buying 5 different woodies with different pitches to get it right. now as far as what composite prop to buy i cant tell you anything except what ive been told or read on here and im not going to do that because i dont know first hand and dont want to give an opinion on something ive never tried personally. i will say when you buy a prop you should get it in 70"-72" in length. me personally i have a 68" and i could go bigger and i will have a 72" when the time comes for a new one. i also have a 350DD.

FishinCoop101
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FishinCoop101 »

I have a 16; custom allumium built boat with a 383 stroker. Had this prop before i built this 383 on dd 350. and it would do fine on my boat. I am currently running a 72 LXL 38 stick. Boat runs great and has plenty of power can run dry.....only downfall is its loud.

angler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by angler »

I run a Sench 2 blade NGH its a little on the pricey side but it pushes like a hurricane and is very quiet
I got mine from Dan The Airboatman on here he also sell wooden props what every you decide on good luck!!
US Army Veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq, I fought for Obamas right to be a retard

JFBarrels
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JFBarrels »

I would look into getting a used composite prop. If you ever make changes with your engine and make some more power you wont have to go out an get another prop. you can also keep the hub and change blades if you upgrade to a gearbox. There are a bunch of ways to go about it but IMO I would pay out a little more now... There are so many perks that come with composite props. We all run Whirlwinds in my group. Whirlwind has great customer service and often allows you to trade out parts if you change/upgrade.

Pay once and adjust to your liking... Just what I have learned. let us know where your search leads you.
I will not give up, I will not fail, I will succeed!

12x7 Stainless Steel Hull
Carb converted Continental IO-360-c
66x46 Sensnich stick

"Perseverant"

JFBarrels
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JFBarrels »

Oh yeah, fill out your profile info so we can see where you are from. Never know, you could be around the corner from one of us.
I will not give up, I will not fail, I will succeed!

12x7 Stainless Steel Hull
Carb converted Continental IO-360-c
66x46 Sensnich stick

"Perseverant"

Return to “Automotive Power Only”