electric fuel pump issues

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
brett711
Southern Airboat Member

electric fuel pump issues

Post by brett711 »

last week my carter fuel pump stopped working. i went to bennett auto and they sold me a facet fuel pump.. boat started and ran with no problem that night. now i goto start boat, and nothing. i pulled gas line and with pump on, it was not sucking any fuel. the lines are not clogged, i pulled them out and checked for blockage.

any ideas? what kind of fuel pump does the majority use.. brand name and part number.. thankyou

brett

gatorfrog2
Southern Airboat Member

Re: electric fuel pump issues

Post by gatorfrog2 »

Had similar problem. Had Carter go bad Replaced w/ $50 napa posiflow I think all black hard plastic w brass inserts. Bought new Carter blue installed went bad in two months re install spare60104 posiflow by facet. Six months later still running. Check wiring. No ground issues etc an 12 good volts. Good luck. Maybe ethanol ate them up?
Lycoming 0320H 3/4 alum. Custom deckover 69" Narrow Whispertip w/ SuperSlick2000

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

I used a holly blue stopped working after one trip? Went to central bought this little square fuel pump been going great for the last year? don't know the brand

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED »

terrible ted wrote:I used a holly blue stopped working after one trip? Went to central bought this little square fuel pump been going great for the last year? don't know the brand
You still got the bad blue one? I need the top cap off of one for a pump i have that got wet and burned up the brush plate. If not anyone else got a burned up one that the top plate is still good on?
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

brett711
Southern Airboat Member

Post by brett711 »

this is the pump that have, but its not pulling hard enough.. how much psi is needed for stock 350.
Attachments
fuelpump.jpg
fuelpump.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 »

I use only Carter pumps on all the boats I own and or work on. I use the Carter universal marine pump, model "p4389", it has a max pressure of 6psi and will last for years. Should run you somewhere around $120 and usually in stock at most Napa stores. Facet makes a great pump as well but unfortunately the Facet pump you have pictured is a piece of $hit. If you want to use a Facet use there " Gold-Flo series" pump it will be plenty sufficient for your application. Expect to pay around $80.00 for the pump. Also the Holley Blue series pumps are designed to push fuel and not pull so thats why they burn up on most airboat applications. If you use a Holley Blue your tank must have the pick up at the bottom of the tank where it can automatically feed the pump by gravity instead of it having to suck it up from the tank. Learned the hard way on the holley blues years ago, never used them again.

brett711
Southern Airboat Member

Post by brett711 »

thankyou for that information. mydixiewrecked recommends the carter 4600. ill call napa tommorw if not jegs has online for $106...

thankyou again

brett jb

myronja
Southern Airboat Member

Post by myronja »

I had a holley red fuel pump on my DD with no regulator been on there for 5-6 years never had any problems.
TAA-436
15' panther 350dd 72"x30 Flordia Paddle 40mph-sold
16X7 Air Ranger 383 stroker 2:1 belt 78" powershift 3/8" poly 58.8mph had to let out

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

I burned through several pumps before making the following changes.

1. Fuel pump needs to be below tank or at lowest point to help pull or syphon fuel.
2. Run 1/2" fuel line to pump.
3. Use dedicated relay (low amperage from ignition switch).
4. Regulator bypass line.
Professional JB Welder
Old 18' American hull, 470CID S&S, Ch3 2:1, 3-blade Whirlwind Whisper Tip

brett711
Southern Airboat Member

Post by brett711 »

i up getting the facet gold flow series from schmidt aviation. works great so far. thats what tom from schmidt recommended as well, so i got it.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”