16'x8' with 350 questions.

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

16'x8' with 350 questions.

Post by RWRIGHT »

i have a 16'x8' classic hull totally set up only missing on thing. a MOTOR! previous owner blew up the aircraft motor it had. i dont know what motor he had on it i just know it was a aircraft engine. one of my buddies is big into demolation derbys so he can get a a GOOD running chevy 350 ready to slap on boat (water pump-alternator-radiator)(i think this is all it needs) for $350. the boat comes with the prop that was on the aircraft motor (no reduction) its a 2 blade wooden prop. as of right now because of money reasons im wanting to run straight reduction or no reduction. i know i will not be able to go the places nor have the power as a reduction. but one of those will come down the road since i will also have to buy a new prop. my questions are will i still have to buy a new prop for this one to mount to the flywheel with a spacer? and what problems or should i say what advice does everyone give me as the route im taking? and if it helps any this boat is a 1991 Classic.

this is how the boat sits as of right this moment.
301576_10150892865200237_735190236_21157887_1124182625_n.jpg
301576_10150892865200237_735190236_21157887_1124182625_n.jpg (134.61 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
19' x 8.4"--Diamondback--GM 454--750 4 barrel Holley--2:1 Belt Reduction--3 Blade K Sensenich prop--Stainless rigging--Max 4 Camo Wrapped

The price of cool aint cheap!

Don't trouble trouble unless trouble troubles you.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: 16'x8' with 350 questions.

Post by Whitebear »

Yup its unlikely the aircraft prop will match up to the 350 pitch wise.

So you will need a prop adapter for the 350 and a new prop.

The 350 is going to be really small for that size boat. I would look for a BBC not a SBC.

You of course will have to build a new motor stand as well. I sure wouldn't recommend trusting an unknown one.

Better check out the cage closely and the seat package as well.

From the above pic it looks like you have some hull damage to deal with too.
Man will all that I think I would pass on it, even if its a freebie, but to each their own.

You may save some money but you got some work to do.

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures and such.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

You say pitch wise.. what do you mean by that? are you saying that the 350 requires a different pitch or "grab" on the blades for air? also im taking it to the local welding shop so they can fab a new motor stand (i forgot to include that). the cage is in pretty rough condition it may have taken out a couple of tree limbs :lol: as for everything else it all looks pretty good.
19' x 8.4"--Diamondback--GM 454--750 4 barrel Holley--2:1 Belt Reduction--3 Blade K Sensenich prop--Stainless rigging--Max 4 Camo Wrapped

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Yes, I'm guessing if it had an aircraft on it before it was either a big 6 or an 8 cylinder, and a 350 isn't going to swing the same prop likely in length or pitch.

Pitch is the number of inches the prop blade will travel forward in 1 revolution assuming no slippage in the air. Pitch is measured in inches.

The Angle of attack (AOA) of the blades is measured in degrees.

Wooden props specify length and pitch in inches and will have a stamp somewhere on the hub that looks something like 70-42 for example. 70 inches long and 42" pitch. Plasti props, have hub marks which are relative indicators only. Most get an angle finder and talk about degrees of attack in the blades, but generally still say 42 degrees of pitch for example. Inches and degrees are technically not interchangeable number wise but but everyone generally knows what you mean.

Generally most here will understand either, were all used to what your talking about.

You might consider filling in your profile information so folks will know where you are. The boat looks like a TX boat. You might want to check in on the Texas part of our forum. Might find someone thats close to you willing to help you check it all out before ya spend money. You will like them, great bunch of guys out there in TX.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

hmmm so regardless i need to new prop more than likely... well in that case i might as well just let her sit, start saving buy a gear reduction and a adjustable 2 blade composite prop. that will turn the right way with a reduction haha.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Probably a smart move.

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Striker543 »

Whitebear has got you in the right direction. Also consider than you're probably going to need a new cage since the reducted motor will likely spin a longer prop than the aircraft motor did. Probably a good idea to build all new rigging with all the modifications it already needs.

dusty burch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dusty burch »

If u need a motor stand built for ur boat I do build engine stands as well as whole rigging 352 258 4910 dusty thanks
if u need a prop for it call dantheairboatman 352 812 2239

BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BigJakesrq »

JMO, but while your waiting and saving maybe try to sell what you got of at least list it. You might be able to pick up a ready to run boat with your combined saving and sale of you hull and rigging. Just a thought

FishinCoop101
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FishinCoop101 »

Post more pics......how much did you pay for the boat......It all winds up with how much you want to spend and what you plan on doing with the boat. engine stand if you could build it for a small block should not cost you more than 300.00 you could get away with building a new cage out of EMT for less than 100.00 and probably pick up a propeller that would work on a direct drive for around 300.00 a direct drive 350 would push the boat as long as you do not overload the hull......it is not going to push you and three other people, but at least it will get you moving forward and in skinny water. On the other hand you just might consider selling the rig and finding a running boat with the money that you would spend on the repair and refab of your current project.

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler »

RWRIGHT wrote:one of my buddies is big into demolation derbys so he can get a a GOOD running chevy 350 ready to slap on boat (water pump-alternator-radiator)(i think this is all it needs) for $350.
IMO if you throw a $350 dollar 350 on it, it wont be long before your one of those guys complaining how car engines don't last on a airboat.. Especially if you add a gearbox to it!! If your looking for the cheapest way out... You might be better off trying to figure out what engine was bolted to that stand and replacing it with the same..

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

i have $1350 in the boat thats the only reason i bought. i got vin number and called classic airboats and he has still yet to return my call to let me know which aircraft motor was on there. i do know they are very expensive. that would be my best route because my boat is only missing the original motor. the route im going i have to get a new prop-motor-and possibly a new cage. not to mention any wiring differences. if anyone has a prop that i can use for a chevy 350 DD PM me please. I would deffiantly much rather buy a cheaper used prop that will work fine rather than buy a new prop. ALSO!!! i have the original prop that went to the DD aircraft motor i would consider a trade or selling that one!!! just keep the replys coming please!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

if you can post the numbers on the prop you have, we "might" be able to come up with what motor was on it. It will also let someone else know whether they can use that prop or not.

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

i called company the boat had a 6 cylinder 0540 Lycoming. The guy also said with that motor more than likely it has a 72-44 prop. im looking for a 72-36/38 prop. but after driving to neighbors and looking it actully has 72-30 which should work on 350 DD. around where the adapter bolts to it also said AB9081??? i dont understand this

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Means its an Air Boat prop not an Air Plane prop and the numbers are likely the Manufacturer part number.

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

so the dumb*** that had this boat before me prolly ran his prop through a tree or something of that nature. order another prop not knowing that aircraft motors cant handle a big pitch and through a rod!!! :lol: then sold because he was dirt pore broke!

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

Is the orig engine still available in parts?? Aircraft engines are pretty tough -- where are you located??
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

no when the guy threw the rod soon after he threw the motor... im in Carlyle. IL.

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

One more thing -- there weren't a lot of 8' wide hulls made in the '90s -- what is the diminsion down at the waterline where the turning chine is? That's a lot of boat for any DD application. Either a aircraft or old Caddi 50 cu in car motor might be your best bet for a bolt it up and ride it out set up. "IF" there's a FBO airport in your area, it might be worth a visit to see if the wrench there knows of a run out 0540 ... just sayin...
A I R B O A T

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

ive talked to 3 people personally that said 16'x8' with 350 DD with 72"-30" prop should do anything besides dry ground. which is all i need. im not sure what the inside measurement is of the boat. all i know is at rear of boat side to side is 8'.

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

oh and BigDaddy i live in carlyle Il on 26000 acres of lake. about 10000 is either dry with mud or up to waist deep with water. i know one man who has a 18'x8' with 350 DD. prop wise all i know is its a wooden 2 blade stick. and the motor is bone stock. but he has also told me some very funny stories of 16'x8's 454 with 2:1 reduction 3 blades having to pull him out :lol: :lol:

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

Good Luck with your project.

The tried and true BEST automotive DD power source for an airboat is an old 500 cu. in. Cadi. It is not safe to turn any airboat prop above 3,000 rpm and those old Cadi develeop all their peak torque and hp just below 3K. If you can locate one in a junk yard, all you will really need to do is replace the factory timing chain with a Coyles roller chain and go. There are a few great Cadi DD aftermarket camshaft improvements available, too. After that, Cadis get expensive. 350 SBC Chevys won't produce anything close to peak performance at 3K -- that's why most 350 / 383 SBCs must have gear or belt reduction units.

The orig Panther / Classic 350 DD Chev. powerplant package was partially developed by Paul Dixon / Seminole Airboats / Bainbridge, GA. He is a great source for reliable techinal information and advice.
A I R B O A T

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

thanks for all the help, as of right now since the prop i have will work im gunna get an adapter bolt her up and run. if im not pleased i can order a reduction this summer along with a different prop since i will need a bigger one.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

LOL and thats how the fight started .... welcome to airboats .. say goodbye to any spare money you might have felt like you had before ...
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

RWRIGHT
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RWRIGHT »

here is a pic after an entire days work on inside and outside and just all around fixing things. one day of work and it looks 4x better already. especially the inside. i also popped the dents on out the rear after this photo was taken.
Attachments
374205_10150907785525237_735190236_21264696_718741789_n.jpg
374205_10150907785525237_735190236_21264696_718741789_n.jpg (153.12 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

Return to “Automotive Power Only”