69 dodge 383 bb for dd need opinions??

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
airjohn81
Southern Airboat Member

69 dodge 383 bb for dd need opinions??

Post by airjohn81 »

I've recently acquired a 69 dodge 383 bb in really good rebuildable condition.. I'm trying to build my first direct drive airboat and wondering what Yall think and if anyone has done this before.. also if anyone knows cam options to achieve the most usable torque and HP within a 3000 rpm limit.. I'm currently researching as much as I can about these motors cause I've never really been a mopar guy but so far I'm seriously intriged... I've seen impressivenumbers come out of these motors and also they have forged cranks, shaft mounted rockets, and externaloil pumps and the weight is not that much different than the tipical Chevy small block... I know guys that swear by these motors but haven't seen dodge bb or sb motors on airboats... Any opinions and advise is really needed as this will be my official first airboat build(hence the profile pic :D )
Thanks guys and let it begin,
Airjohn81
David

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 69 dodge 383 bb for dd need opinions??

Post by Bruce »

KEEP IT SIMPLE if u dont see them theres a reason small block chevys are dime a dozen go that route jmo
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

check with Airboats by Lil John , he has a small block mopar mated to a stinger at his shop. He maybe able to tell you how to mate a box to your big block mopar.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

Gangreen
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gangreen »

The whole reason dd works with some motors is the h.p. and torque curve at a given rpm. The 400 sb chevy for example torque is maxed at 3200. The big block chevy because of lower rpm works well too. Check the power curve for your engine and see where you are. Thats the reason everyone says an rv cam is the best bet because if you go higher on lift and duration it moves the power out of the window for direct drive use. I ran alot of chevy 400 small blocks as dd and had great luck but i was stupid when it came to safety and durability. The 400 is a great engine for the dd application because it is the same deminsions as the 396 bb Chevy but less weight than a 350. Granted its chevys biggest piece of shit but it works.

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill »

V8-383 4-bbl 4.25 x 3.38 9.5:1 335 @ 5200 425 @ 3400

383 chevy has 0.37" stroke on the the Mopar. Torque seems pretty decent

Weight seems to be within 50 lbs, you have to figure out how to mount a starter and make most everything yourself. Drill prop adapter for crank (machine shop), flex plate/ring gear (ring gear is on the torque converter).. etc..

small block Chevy would be the most inexpensive route..

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

one ran on pease river maybe 30 years ago. sank it 5 time in one day. i help get it up and running each time. it seemed to run good, he just couldn't stay ahead of his wake when he stopped. i was tired after the day. he had an 11 ft. boat. maybe a bigger hull? good luck

crazycowboy1278
Southern Airboat Member

Post by crazycowboy1278 »

i built a 1964 383 and put it in a 1977 power wagon years ago and it was a beast about 425hp 365lbs torque but as said by wild bill you will have to make a mount for a starter since mopar starters bolt to the transmission and you will have to have a fly wheel from a manual trans or a custom one. do some research on that motor some of those bb are internally balanced and some are externally and if you get parts for the wrong motor it will not hold together

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bdriller »

How many times have i heard ive got a motor think ill build a airboat when in fact the motor selection comes last. First figure out what you plan on doing with the boat, hence hull selection, then figure out at what speed or power u want the selected hull to perform , hence power selection. Just about any engine will push to some degree on a boat. When you have spent as much money on hull and rigging and are ready for engine dont be biased toward a engine just because its laying there. If it needs rebuilt you presently are into your first boat build with about 150 dollars worth of iron. At the end of the build that represents a very small percentage of what your total investment. If you were a hardcore mopar man id say stick with it but there are many more better choices. At the end of the day u want the biggest torque # s at 3 k u can get for dd application and that goat aint it. Review all past posts on here and u will start to see a picture develop and you will be able make a more sound decision on motor selection good luck with your build.

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

383 BB Mopar is heavy and has a very short stroke of 3.375 to be honest the stroke is real close to a 273, 318 an a 340 Small block Mopar which is 3.31. So it's heavy with a very short stroke. The two things I avoid most with in a airboat engine.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

crazycowboy1278
Southern Airboat Member

Post by crazycowboy1278 »

Waterthunder wrote:383 BB Mopar is heavy and has a very short stroke of 3.375 to be honest the stroke is real close to a 273, 318 an a 340 Small block Mopar which is 3.31. So it's heavy with a very short stroke. The two things I avoid most with in a airboat engine.

good food for thought thunder! i did not think to say that in my post but it is very true

airjohn81
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airjohn81 »

thanks guys.... This is why I love this site... Honest and true opions!!! I had over looked the fact of the starter mounts to the tranny and all the other facts of this motor that everyone has brought to my attention... And once again thanks because i very well would have been putting the carriage before the horse and started ordering parts for this motor... so .. I now have a 69 383 dodge motor for sale(lmao) and currently looking for any bb chevy or possibly a 400 sb... Also could a 12'x7' combee hold a dd chevy big block .. It seems that the bb chevys make more torque with in the 3000 rpm range... anymore advise is GREATLY appreaciated... Boy am i glad i made this post..
thanks again,
airjohn81
david spencer :salute:

Return to “Automotive Power Only”