Calibrated Distributor question..

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Calibrated Distributor question..

Post by Smuggler » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 pm

My buddy was talked into having his distributor "calibrated" When he got it back it looked like this..
The MSD module was already in it. He asked to have it "locked out" but it looks like they just locked out the vacuum advance :dontknow: .
They also gave him this card with it..
What do the numbers on this card tell me? Does it mean it has 22 degrees total advance? or does it mean since it starts at 10 do you gain 12 degrees by the time you hit 3400 rpm. That would be 12 degrees total.. OR am I not even close??

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Calibrated Distributor question..

Post by pipedog » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Well it was deffinitly not locked out all the way. Like you said they locked the vac adv but not the centrifical adv. The card info is how much advance comes in at that rpm. If it's a DD caddy obviously 3400 won't work.If you want it locked take weight's and springs off and tack weld the shaft to the plate the weights are attached to, and it's locked
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:39 pm

pipedog wrote:Well it was deffinitly not locked out all the way. Like you said they locked the vac adv but not the centrifical adv. The card info is how much advance comes in at that rpm. If it's a DD caddy obviously 3400 won't work.If you want it locked take weight's and springs off and tack weld the shaft to the plate the weights are attached to, and it's locked
i agree but i have and havent locked them out id just use the curve kit since its their and make sure u have the light springs thats jmo and if u have a warp drive 3400 will be fine!! it gives room to play with :wink:
good luck
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:45 pm

i would recomend the way he's got it set up. i wouldn't totally lock it unless you know how to start it or you'll be breaking starter noses the way he's got it set up you start it in 10* to 12* and @ w.o.t it will be @ 34* so you set your timing at 34* at 2500 r.p.m.s and lock it down then you just have to play with the timing to see where it likes it and read your plugs if you don't know how p.m me and i'll try to explain what to do
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:05 pm

I agree, good info all the way around. just got to find what the motor and complete set up like's!
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Chris-
Get a hold of advance checking timing light. This timing light the one with the dial on the back.

Set your total timing at say 2500-3000 RPM. Set this total timing where ever you want.
When you have your total timing set, then run your engine up to 3500 to see if all your timing is in.

You can use the advance dial on the back of the light to see how much timing you have throughout the RPM range.

Not sure "calibrated is the correct word. ?? Tailored maybe?
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

bondsman
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bondsman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:23 pm

The card says it starts to mechanically advance are 500rpm's. Each degree with rpm tells how many mechanical degrees it advances add that to initial timing to get total timing at that rpm and that it advances no more after 3400 rpms.
If life looks hairy in front of you! Shave it and put a condom on.

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Ya I wasn't sure what to call it.. I just know it costed him $125 and all he got back was that card.. I asked him what it meant and he said I was gonna ask you.. I'm telling ya we're the blind leading the blind :lol: :lol: Thanks for filling in the gaps guys :D

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Knowing Chris, he probably has an advance timing light, however for the other CSOB caddy guys here, here is any easy work around.

Given that the timing tab reads 14 degrees BTDC to 6 degrees ATDC, if you put a second mark on the balancer 20 degrees advanced from TDC, now your timing tab will read 34 to 14 degrees BTDC and your plain old timing light will work fine to check total timing when using the second mark.

(ie. measure around your balancer in mm and divide that number by 18. then make a new mark that many mm clockwise from TDC)

Mine looks like this . . black is TDC . . . red is 20 degrees advanced.
Attachments
timing marks.jpg
timing marks.jpg (196.53 KiB) Viewed 810 times
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

techelp3215436655
Southern Airboat Member

Post by techelp3215436655 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:00 pm

If this is belt or gear driven cad engine the card is the total degree's of advance mechanical only at 3400rpm is 22* + 10* degree's of initial at idle around 800-850 rpm 32* or 30* total and 8* initial play it safe. just make sure no more advance comes in with higher rpm. I wouldn't turn it over 4200 rpm stock,even if it has forged pistons and after market rods and bolt's not over 4500, you might change the springs around may be only 1 spring lighter try it in the water then try 1 spring heavier run it check see which way it's best. 92 or 3 octane only. If this application is direct drive you need to make the weight's come out farther and faster (lighter) springs to achieve all total advance at much lower rpm's 34* at 2250 rpm or so max prop speed 2850 rpm free tec8668075354.

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:20 pm

I really like the vacuum advance lockout.

I never had much luck with the type of module pictured.
The (similar in function) DUI piece has kept me from being stranded. Just a thought.
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

mrfixit
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mrfixit » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 pm

THe distributer was set up on a distributer machine . You can set all the timing advance with out an engine. It can also set or check the vacum advance for the amount of vacum it takes to move it and how much it moves . you can use it to setup your centrifugal advance to when it comes in and where it finishes plus how much total advance is in the distrubor so you will know where to set the timing knowing what the distribtor is going to do with it.
they come in handy I useto use mine all the time but computers have made there use not as often.

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks everyone for responding and teaching me something ELSE :D :D :D :D

Return to “Automotive Power Only”