6.5 Diesel In An Airboat?

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
DZZ71
Southern Airboat Member

6.5 Diesel In An Airboat?

Post by DZZ71 »

Hi everyone First time posting on site. Im really interested in building an airboat from scratch since they are not really common up where i live. Now i would like to build one using a 6.5 diesel engine, I have rebuilt a couple of them block up running many different turbos with tuning so i know how to get good power outta them. Now i would also like to build it for snow and water application for year round use up here. I have been thinking 1/4 inch thick aluminum bottem on the hull sides 3/16? how big would i half to build it to safely hold the weight of the engine hull and passengers? I am a journeymen tickited welder i own a 60x40 shop with most of the equipment i need to build it and what i dont own i have access to. Also would a direct drive application work well for the engine/prop configuration? Main purpose of this boat will be fishing and crusing around the ponds,lakes and well odvoiusly through the fields in the snow :D Thank you in advance everyone im really loking foward to this!

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: 6.5 Diesel In An Airboat?

Post by happy harold »

like aircraft. airboats are about weight. think 1/8 inch bottom if you are going with that small diesel. jmo

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Contact both GTO aitboats and Panther airboats. Both contacts can be found in the Airboat directory on this site. Both have done the diesel thing and could give u some helpful Info
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

DZZ71
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DZZ71 »

Thanks! I will send them a PM

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Muffled500 is who u need to pm from GTO; not sure about panther. Good luck. And keep us updated.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover »

Tell what I would do is forget that 6.5 they don't make any real power and not much you can do with it to heavy for the power you'll get out of it

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

Go 12 valve... 8)
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

DZZ71
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DZZ71 »

how does a guy up load photos to this site? im having problems

DZZ71
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DZZ71 »

DZZ71
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DZZ71 »

That was halfway through my last project. That turbo works really well with the 6.5, i have raced a few vortecs one hemi and a stock LB7 duramax it beat everyone. No way im goin to a 12 valve lol I will build a set up kinda the same as this one im just not sure if i want to go mechanical for the injection pump or stay with the electronic DS4 pump for tuning......

gladstone
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gladstone »

Just remember weight.... The less the better. I would recomend a light Hamnet hull with a two blade adjustable prop. If it were me I would run man injection. The less elctronics you have the less headache when you are stranded.

map57lap
Southern Airboat Member

Post by map57lap »

keep in mine also thrust brg on crank shaft :proud: to me there is a better way to keep the weight of and save on cost and buy a water thunder motor but there again we live in america the home of the few proud real americans, you think outside the box an accel in life that others may learn

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

You're going to need a big hull for the weight and a gearbox o help transfer harmonics too, in my opinion. The gto duramax boat had a lot of problems, most of which were caused by big hollow blades and a diesel engine throwing crazy codes from harmonics. A custom softdrive plate and a serious detune on the engine got it squared away, after several months at superchips and lamata performance. I heard stories of a mild tuned duramax up north that ran real good. Those 6.5s are mechanical right? Softdrive gearbox and probably a 3 or 4 blade R series and you'll have a monster. ?? Maybe? Lol. Search back and try to find the thread from GIMAMMOTH about building a 12 valve boat, can't seem to remember the reasons against it.

gladstone
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gladstone »

Yea. What he said

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 »

I could be wrong yobee but I think it was because of turbo lag and egt. Kind of like starting out in 5th gear all the time.

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

josh_2562 wrote:I could be wrong yobee but I think it was because of turbo lag and egt. Kind of like starting out in 5th gear all the time.
Yeah ten 4. Prolly more problems too lol! It would still be cool to roll some coal on the boat too lmao

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 »

yobee wrote:
josh_2562 wrote:I could be wrong yobee but I think it was because of turbo lag and egt. Kind of like starting out in 5th gear all the time.
Yeah ten 4. Prolly more problems too lol! It would still be cool to roll some coal on the boat too lmao
Hell yeah. I made a post about using a super charger to spool the turbo up faster. I'm going to look in to maybe using a small 2.0 turbo diesel engine also. I'm working in France right now. My rental car has a 2.0 turbo diesel and it moves pretty good.

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

josh_2562 wrote:
yobee wrote:
Hell yeah. I made a post about using a super charger to spool the turbo up faster. I'm going to look in to maybe using a small 2.0 turbo diesel engine also. I'm working in France right now. My rental car has a 2.0 turbo diesel and it moves pretty good.
Nice, i been thinking of getting a tdi jetta with the old lady.
Also don't the new 6.7 Ford's run a twin turbo, small one feeding a large one type setup?

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

This is nice but if you are new to airboats I would start with something proven. There is more to it than sticking an engine on a flat aluminum boat. You can buy a proven engine, prop, and gear drive package but that does not guarantee it will work on your homemade hull. In other words your engine might be able to get the job done but your hull could be the problem or the other way around. you could build 20 hulls and never get the bubble right, heck there are builders out there now that have been doing it for years and their hulls don't work for sheet.

Figure out the projected weight of your power train, then figure out what your projected HP will be and your max sustainable RPM. These are what will decide how big of a hull you need and if you have the power to move it. Almost everyone I have ever met that was new to airboats thinks there is nothing to it except putting an engine on a flat boat.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

nothing personal but a 6.5 is a terible motor.. there heavy an the crank an rods can not take much power over stock.. the injection system is almost impossable to fine tune to build power an the heads dont flow.. i think iv seen maybe one make 500 hp an it took tons of money..

a 12v can make 500hp with just a few upgrades.. an 100s of guys are pushing over 1000 hp with stock heads cranks rods an blocks..

my roommate builds 12v an knows them like the back of his hand.. from sled trucks mud trucks an drag trucks, you can make the motor work for any combo.. putting one in a boat would be easy an the motor could be built pretty cheep.. the down side is the cost of everything eles gear box prop hull an so on..

egt is not a factor. were running over 1000 hp with no intercooler lots of pull trucks an drag trucks have been doing it for years.. the problem is getting the turbo to spool an having a drivable motor.. making power at wot is easy making good power through out the power range is tricky.. a good set of twins or a pro charger would take care of the spooling problem an water injection would keep the egt as low as you want, tunning the pump to run good from say 600 rpm to 4500 is where guys are running into problems.. a easy way around this is to run a 24v with a custom tune.. they are way easier to tune than a 12v pump... it can be done eather way im just waiting on someone with the money to try it..

heres my roomates 12v in his 34 pickup ratrod drag truck..
Attachments
12v100hp.jpg
12v100hp.jpg (53.8 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 »

Looks like you need to talk your buddy in to building a boat :lol:
Do you know a good guy to do a cummins swap in my f250?

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

josh_2562 wrote:Looks like you need to talk your buddy in to building a boat :lol:
Do you know a good guy to do a coming swap in my f250?
Gimmamoth and roommate for sure!

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

josh_2562 wrote:Looks like you need to talk your buddy in to building a boat :lol:
Do you know a good guy to do a coming swap in my f250?
x2. I would like to do a cummins swap in a 96 Ford.

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

The 12v is a beast but I the Duramax trucks put them on the trailer every weekend. You can make 600hp on a factory duramax with a tune alone. I can hook up my HP tuner to your daily driver duramax and make it run like a new camaro.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor »

crowhater wrote:The 12v is a beast but I the Duramax trucks put them on the trailer every weekend. You can make 600hp on a factory duramax with a tune alone. I can hook up my HP tuner to your daily driver duramax and make it run like a new camaro.
X2 :mrgreen:
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

Return to “Automotive Power Only”