6.5 Diesel In An Airboat?

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: 6.5 Diesel In An Airboat?

Post by crowhater »

540 mountain motor wrote:
crowhater wrote:The 12v is a beast but I the Duramax trucks put them on the trailer every weekend. You can make 600hp on a factory duramax with a tune alone. I can hook up my HP tuner to your daily driver duramax and make it run like a new camaro.
X2 :mrgreen:

I would like to add that a Durmax does not sound like a pulp wood truck when you turn it up, nor do they puke big clouds of black smoke 24/7. The most important thing about the Duramax is the fact that they do not come wrapped is a butt ugly goat truck. BUT if you like that type of stuff and you live to change front end parts every 15,000 miles the Dodge is your truck for sure. :thumbleft:
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow »

Crowhater,I take it your not a dodge guy huh :shock: Me either I,m a Ford man myself :rebel:

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

I think duramax are badass and agree they are in a different league than the dinosaur of a 12 valve, but the 12 valve Cummins are awesome in their own right. Gob loads of potential and all mechanical. Hell you can turn up the fuel pumps with tools found in any Joe smoes toolbox and run with the big boys. 12v is just badass lol.
Ps. Shoulda straight axled the duramax lol.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts »

like what crowhater said figure out the h.p. torq r.p.m. then we can figure the prop and gearbox package then go from there
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor »

crowhater wrote:
crowhater wrote:The 12v is a beast but I the Duramax trucks put them on the trailer every weekend. You can make 600hp on a factory duramax with a tune alone. I can hook up my HP tuner to your daily driver duramax and make it run like a new camaro.

I would like to add that a Durmax does not sound like a pulp wood truck when you turn it up, nor do they puke big clouds of black smoke 24/7. The most important thing about the Duramax is the fact that they do not come wrapped is a butt ugly goat truck. BUT if you like that type of stuff and you live to change front end parts every 15,000 miles the Dodge is your truck for sure. :thumbleft:
Just closed shop down and finished a 2012 Ram ball joint job. Truck has 20k miles on it. The joints were junk!!! They still have not changed them, we stock front end parts for the Dodge and Ford trucks. Turn around is one day on front end rebuilds and trans are stocked on shelf too.. I love em :| :mrgreen: :? :mrgreen:
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

DZZ71
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DZZ71 »

Thanks for all the replies. I have been messaging a few people past few days finding out more . Some say it's doable and has been done before others say don't even bother. I plan on building a hull 18x8 I'm not sure how deep to go yet. The engine defiantly won't be putting out stock power that's forsure. I will get a scat crank shaft and lower the compression quite a bit with the pistons probley 17:8 ish and head studs also port the heads myself. I know it will handle it no problem. The engine in the pic i posted has seen many burn outs 30psi of boost for extended periods of time and egts hitting the 1400 mark. I'm figuring out what mechanical pump will work best to flow the same fuel as my electronic DS4. Maybe i will just stick with that pump I donno. It's just nice being able to max out my fuel tables. But the added head ake of having all that electrical,ECM,PMD on the boat might not be worth it.

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

almost all of us want to save the next guy the heartache of a failed project. however some times we forget the fun we use to have experminting with stuff that had no hope of working. what i'm trying to say; go for it/ we(I)will help you any way i can. i qualify as an expert. an expert is somebody who has made all the mistakes. have fun and keep us posted on your project. we would like to share in the projects that we no longer have energy for. good luck

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill »

josh_2562 wrote: Hell yeah. I made a post about using a super charger to spool the turbo up faster. I'm going to look in to maybe using a small 2.0 turbo diesel engine also. I'm working in France right now. My rental car has a 2.0 turbo diesel and it moves pretty good.
Im in the south of France right now and rented a Mercedes C220, sure changed my opinion of small diesels in cars! Getting 6.5 L/100Km@ 130 K and acceleraton is great!

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

crowhater wrote:

whats a dodge?? none of are cummings are in junk frame rails.. lol
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

Interested in knowing more about your expectations. You are talking DD in your first post, to run a prop dd you need to keep rpm's below 3000. If your monster engine is going above that you should look at a box for it, they still make 1.7:1 I believe, as well as down to over 3:1 ratios. Figure out the max rpm of your motor, and also the cruse rpm. Remember torque is what you are after, not hp. Look in the gallery under Skip Olsen, he builds great boats, now using alumitech hulls, but his cab and rigging is all custom and handles the ice and cold. I have one in my avitar, 32" sides at the transome, 11 T bars. he also runs 3/16th bottom and sides. Where are you located, are you expecting -40 temp or are you just talking about balmy above 0 temps. One problem about a diesel may be a place to plug in the block heater if you park it a while out in the fields, etc, may need a propane airplane engine heater to restart if you spend the night someplace unplanned. Good luck, Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

akblackdawg wrote:Interested in knowing more about your expectations. You are talking DD in your first post, to run a prop dd you need to keep rpm's below 3000. If your monster engine is going above that you should look at a box for it, they still make 1.7:1 I believe, as well as down to over 3:1 ratios. Figure out the max rpm of your motor, and also the cruse rpm. Remember torque is what you are after, not hp. Look in the gallery under Skip Olsen, he builds great boats, now using alumitech hulls, but his cab and rigging is all custom and handles the ice and cold. I have one in my avitar, 32" sides at the transome, 11 T bars. he also runs 3/16th bottom and sides. Where are you located, are you expecting -40 temp or are you just talking about balmy above 0 temps. One problem about a diesel may be a place to plug in the block heater if you park it a while out in the fields, etc, may need a propane airplane engine heater to restart if you spend the night someplace unplanned. Good luck, Bud

verry good points, a block an fuel heater will deff be needed
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection

DZZ71
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DZZ71 »

akblackdawg wrote:Interested in knowing more about your expectations. You are talking DD in your first post, to run a prop dd you need to keep rpm's below 3000. If your monster engine is going above that you should look at a box for it, they still make 1.7:1 I believe, as well as down to over 3:1 ratios. Figure out the max rpm of your motor, and also the cruse rpm. Remember torque is what you are after, not hp. Look in the gallery under Skip Olsen, he builds great boats, now using alumitech hulls, but his cab and rigging is all custom and handles the ice and cold. I have one in my avitar, 32" sides at the transome, 11 T bars. he also runs 3/16th bottom and sides. Where are you located, are you expecting -40 temp or are you just talking about balmy above 0 temps. One problem about a diesel may be a place to plug in the block heater if you park it a while out in the fields, etc, may need a propane airplane engine heater to restart if you spend the night someplace unplanned. Good luck, Bud

Yes i was thinking about direct drive in my first post just to get some input on it. Im learning more and more as i read its not just a matter of putting an engine on a boat hull and going to town. My peak torqe would be around 2600rpm I have been told by a couple people that the boat will not plane with a direct drive on that engine. Im unsure of using this engine now caues the cost of the prop and gear/belt drive box alone would be probley $4000 by the time it reached my door Then to build the engine would be probley $3000 done right. Then to not have it work in the end would be very shitty. and as for the cold weather i probley wouldent go in anything colder then -20 get ripping with all that wind would be pretty cold up here in canada. I would maybe consider a fuel heater depening on the size of the tank since the return lines send back heated diesel anyways, And the propane heater wouldent be nessasary i have started these engines in -30 with no block heater plugged in. It took a couple tryes knocked,banged,smoked and rattled like it was gonna throw a rod through the side of the block but ran like a top after a few min. Im also considering maybe using a 97-98 5.7 vortec gas engine from a write off since it might be easyer for a very amature first time boat builder as somone mentiond before doing somthing proven that works. What do you guys think? Im really appreciating all the responces. Seem like a good group of guys.

GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

if i come into some cash i will build a 12v boat but till then even im going to stick with a proven power plant.. nothing wrong with having a working boat :)

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Go ahead and get a prop and box combo, belt or gearabd try it. If it don't work snatch the motor, throw a big block on it and be done with it.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Daniel Altman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Daniel Altman »

Now that I don't sled pull or race anymore I hae thought of putting my 12v on an airboat. It's got tons of power and 6000rpm's. The weight though is a killer!!!
10' Thurman copy, O-320, WW Cypress, BRAB 51 & RRAA 15

"You can't tourniquet the taint!" Archer

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Go ahead and get a prop and box combo, belt or gearabd try it. If it don't work snatch the motor, throw a big block on it and be done with it.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Henri
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Henri »

Has anyone had issues with the crankshaft sensor code on a 6.6 duramax on an airboat? I'm pulling my hair out with this one.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Not my area of expertise, but I'll give it a try. This post seems to relate to your issue.
yobee wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 am
You're going to need a big hull for the weight and a gearbox o help transfer harmonics too, in my opinion. The gto duramax boat had a lot of problems, most of which were caused by big hollow blades and a diesel engine throwing crazy codes from harmonics. A custom softdrive plate and a serious detune on the engine got it squared away, after several months at superchips and lamata performance. I heard stories of a mild tuned duramax up north that ran real good. Those 6.5s are mechanical right? Softdrive gearbox and probably a 3 or 4 blade R series and you'll have a monster. ?? Maybe? Lol. Search back and try to find the thread from GIMAMMOTH about building a 12 valve boat, can't seem to remember the reasons against it.
You mentioned in your other post that the engine ran fine without the prop.
Henri wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:00 pm
Hi Guys
Has anyone else had any issues with crank position sensor when they installed a propeller on the engine? It runs great without the prop.
Cheers
Is this a direct drive or geared setup? What prop? Do you have a Softdrive installed?
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Henri
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Henri »

It has a gear drive 1.1 to 1 ratio. The engine is a 6.6 duramax LBZ and it is in an experimental airplane. I had a chain drive setup before but there was to much play in the chain and it would get crankshaft codes and not run at all with the propeller on. The dampener looks a lot like the soft drive and has rubber dampers in it. I have tried it with all 12 rubbers in it and have also tried it with just 3 and that seems to make it try and run the best. I have over 200 hrs of tuning trying to adjust out the power pulses and the timing. I realize this is an airboat site andmine is an airplane but I am looking for any advice or who can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”