GOT GREEDY

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

GOT GREEDY

Post by crowhater » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Sunday night I went to the river to do a little scouting for Teal season and before we left I put more pitch in my four S blades to lower the cruise. The river is very low so you have to run a bunch of mud flats to get from hole to hole. The last hole we wanted to check required us to run about 300 yards of dry sticky mud and about half way the boat starts to slow down. Everyone bailed off the boat in an attempt to keep it from stopping but it was to late she was stuck. Wide open the engine would only pull to 4400rpm. A 3/4" socket would have been worth several hundred bucks if a guy had one for sale. It took us about an hour of running logs to get her back to the water and last night I took out some pitch to free the engine back up. I would rather buy more fuel then go through that again.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: GOT GREEDY

Post by flying fish » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:50 pm

This ain't no sheet.

When governed @ 4800-4900 RPM, I cruise 28-2900 in deep water.
When governed 5300 I cruise 32-3400 in deep water.

I get better fuel economy governed @ 5300 engine RPM. I guarantee it.

Economy being GPH fuel burn. I think it has to do with engine load???

@4800 governed my boat runs ok.
@5300 she is amazing. I run a 2.52 ratio reduction and wide blades.
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:41 pm

When the river is this low that flats have very limited water, this means the swamp lizards and pushed into a smaller area. Being stuck at night in an area filled with swamp lizards SUCKS! This is Texas not Florida, you can't just pick up a phone in my neck of the woods and call up an airboat to come help out. Most of the airboats in our state are down at the coast, so when you get stuck you had better have a plan A, B, and C.

scott wheeler
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by scott wheeler » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 pm

I bet you where a happy camper when it squatted down. Of all people not to have tools on the boat. MY MY

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:36 pm

scott wheeler wrote:I bet you where a happy camper when it squatted down. Of all people not to have tools on the boat. MY MY
Not trying to be a smart A$$ but would it be worth taking a 3/4 socket and torque wrench?

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:38 pm

scott wheeler wrote:I bet you where a happy camper when it squatted down. Of all people not to have tools on the boat. MY MY

It was one of those days! We wanted to leave around 3 to go scouting but a guy from church asked me if I could help him move a pool table. By the time we got done moving that HEAVY SOB up the stairs and got back to the house it was 5:30 and we had an hour drive to the river. We did not even have a machette on the boat, I did have a $500 dollar trama/ER med bag though. I did not mess around this time, I bought the biggest, best med kit I could find. Heck you could do open heart surgery with this sucker. We did not even get fuel in the boat, we left the ramp with a 1/4 tank of fuel. I should have known I was setting myself up for failure. Did I mention I did not have bug spray either? Oh yeah I probably got 10 cases of West Nile working. :roll:

LIL Maddog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by LIL Maddog » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:59 pm

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:
Not trying to be a smart A$$ but would it be worth taking a 3/4 socket and torque wrench?
Yes, I carry one. If you can let some pitch out to snap the prop quicker it'll break you free if you're lucky. But if your prop is already set up for dry running and snap it won't make a difference.
Little George Palm Beach "kit hull". IO-540 with a 1.73:1 Stinger gearbox swinging an 81" 3 blade NGR. Real quiet.
Proud Member of USFTH!

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 pm

crowhater wrote:

It was one of those days! We wanted to leave around 3 to go scouting but a guy from church asked me if I could help him move a pool table. By the time we got done moving that HEAVY SOB up the stairs and got back to the house it was 5:30 and we had an hour drive to the river. We did not even have a machette on the boat, I did have a $500 dollar trama/ER med bag though. I did not mess around this time, I bought the biggest, best med kit I could find. Heck you could do open heart surgery with this sucker. We did not even get fuel in the boat, we left the ramp with a 1/4 tank of fuel. I should have known I was setting myself up for failure. Did I mention I did not have bug spray either? Oh yeah I probably got 10 cases of West Nile working. :roll:
Sounds like you were one tired duck. I have been fishing the San Bernard Wildlife Refuge and this past weekend I saw tons of teal. Thicker than the West Nile carriers. :lol:
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:57 pm

S blades will embarass lots a motors
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Marshall you know better than that. No bug spray? And not a tool on board? Damn you must have been pissed at yourself...lol.

AirPat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AirPat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 pm

540 I was the one who passed you in the refuge.. if you where there Sunday afternoon. How'd you do on the reds. We ran into the cow traps looking for teal and only saw a few.

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Ruagatr wrote:Marshall you know better than that. No bug spray? And not a tool on board? Damn you must have been pissed at yourself...lol.

Not at all I just laughed at myself for being such an idiot.

Looks like my Teal season is over anyway because the belt drive has a problem. The bottom hub is lose on the shaft and one of those big rivets that hold the center selection to the plate that bolts to the flywheel is broken. I guess I will pull it off this weekend and send it back to Century for repair.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm

AirPat wrote:540 I was the one who passed you in the refuge.. if you where there Sunday afternoon. How'd you do on the reds. We ran into the cow traps looking for teal and only saw a few.
Cool, I saw tons of em at daylight. I used to be mad at the quacks when I was younger but now I'm too into fly fishing. Next time we can slow down and visit. Hey Crow you might ought to ck out this area for some teal huntin too. I've still got bout 2k worth of deeks. I've been nailin the reds out there I'm around 50- 60 keepers sight casting with flies and tails. Robert.
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 pm

540 mountain motor wrote:
AirPat wrote:540 I was the one who passed you in the refuge.. if you where there Sunday afternoon. How'd you do on the reds. We ran into the cow traps looking for teal and only saw a few.
Cool, I saw tons of em at daylight. I used to be mad at the quacks when I was younger but now I'm too into fly fishing. Next time we can slow down and visit. Hey Crow you might ought to ck out this area for some teal huntin too. I've still got bout 2k worth of deeks. I've been nailin the reds out there I'm around 50- 60 keepers sight casting with flies and tails. Robert.
I will be down at POC during big duck season but I just dont have time now. We rented Royal Purple raceway for the 22nd and everyone is gunning for me. All the trash talking at work has hit the top of the hill and it is time to see who is going to stay on top. I am the only guy running all motor on pump gas, everyone else is force induction. They have thrown their check books at their cars and added every power adder they can find, nitrous, water/meth, on top of being supercharged. Friday I was at Royal Purple getting my tune dialed in and my times where still faster thn theirs. :lol:

Here is my best pass, the other car is a supercharged GTO.
http://youtu.be/IMgScoMimPU

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:56 am

crowhater wrote:
540 mountain motor wrote:
I will be down at POC during big duck season but I just dont have time now. We rented Royal Purple raceway for the 22nd and everyone is gunning for me. All the trash talking at work has hit the top of the hill and it is time to see who is going to stay on top. I am the only guy running all motor on pump gas, everyone else is force induction. They have thrown their check books at their cars and added every power adder they can find, nitrous, water/meth, on top of being supercharged. Friday I was at Royal Purple getting my tune dialed in and my times where still faster thn theirs. :lol:

Here is my best pass, the other car is a supercharged GTO.
http://youtu.be/IMgScoMimPU
Car runs strong, how is the engine holding up? I bet the trans takes a beating leaving that hard when she goes into 2nd..

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 am

This is my second 6L80,everything in it is built, the clutches are Alto and all the parts are case hardened. It commands 300# of line pressure at shifts. My temps go up about 30* every pass and I have an external cooler. I need to change my stall converter because the single clutch converter I have right now can't hold if I lock it up. The tripple disc that circle D makes is nice but the price is high. Because of the big cam I have to run with the converter unlocked at low RPMs or the car will buck and this drives up the trans temps. 210-230* is my normal temp on 100* days.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:27 pm

crowhater wrote:540

This is my second 6L80,everything in it is built, the clutches are Alto and all the parts are case hardened. It commands 300# of line pressure at shifts. My temps go up about 30* every pass and I have an external cooler. I need to change my stall converter because the single clutch converter I have right now can't hold if I lock it up. The tripple disc that circle D makes is nice but the price is high. Because of the big cam I have to run with the converter unlocked at low RPMs or the car will buck and this drives up the trans temps. 210-230* is my normal temp on 100* days.
Circle D conv are rough on price but good on quality. We stock a few for the diesels and they sell fairly quick. I run a triple disc in my dmax with good results. The trans temps you are running are definitely a product of inconsistent lock up as you are already aware of. I totally understand about the buck issue when lugging at low rpm with a nasty bumpstick. Gotta give to get I guess. With that radical line pressure rise you have also greatly increase temp and rush of cooler flow. The 6L80 has a meaty trans case to handle this. Years ago when the 4L80 was the choice we built them to full manual and good for 1200hp no problem but the cases would stress near the manual valve and split. Fine line between strength and stress. Stress equals no longevity. Chris at CircleD kinda got brutal on us with his constant price increases. We had a few conv let go and when I spoke to him he said he would replace it. Well the collateral damage is tough to swallow which he wasn't interested in helping us. We were his largest buyer for many years when his dad was still alive. I have to pay a guy to r&r unit, completely rebuild again, flush cooler and begin this confidence building to my customer which is "sticky" at times. My partner/bro in law builds all the trans, I got tired of this after 13 years at dealership but occasionally will slap a few together. We have had a bunch of the larger Allison units lately, like the 3000 series and 545. Bus and commercial truck applications. Hope you have a good Saturday at track and can get a chance to heal the belt drive on the boat. If I can help
let me know. Robert. 979-482-2331.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”