Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

Pitbull
Southern Airboat Member

Re: New Ox Box

Post by Pitbull »

Dan has worked really hard to get these Boxes to be the best and keep up with technology good job Dan

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

Its pretty much bullett proof. Ask Dan about the test , I did for him . LOL , didn't mean to , but not a scratch.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

Pitbull
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Pitbull »

I heard about that id say there tough after that

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

You would not believe my box came off that motor without a scratch . Every rotating part was broke in half or multiple pieces , crank went from 5k+ to ZERO in a tenth of a second ,and not a scratch to box and gears. A BIG thumbs up to Dan.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

Pitbull
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Pitbull »

I saw the box and your right it was in perfect shape

STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

Post by STINGER477 »

What happened Junglecat? Which engine came apart? :(

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

the ox box produces the extra torque to make a motor come apart :lol: better get me a belt drive :lol: j/k man
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

the 383 had a deep drag pan . The constant movement of 10 qts(22 lbs) of oil broke the pick up tube right below weld. It was a NASCAR style oil fire , real exciting .
Dan checked box , untouched.
Shipped motor to Whites and they did tear down. In the future they won't use that style oil pan. Need to make sure your high volume pans have , trays ,baffles , traps whatever to slow down movement of oil. They did me more than fair on motor. I was able to easily upgrade to the 427 sbc .
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

junglecat wrote:the 383 had a deep drag pan . The constant movement of 10 qts(22 lbs) of oil broke the pick up tube right below weld. It was a NASCAR style oil fire , real exciting .
Dan checked box , untouched.
Shipped motor to Whites and they did tear down. In the future they won't use that style oil pan. Need to make sure your high volume pans have , trays ,baffles , traps whatever to slow down movement of oil. They did me more than fair on motor. I was able to easily upgrade to the 427 sbc .
Jungle:
That sucks but i guess it turned out good for everyone. I've been trying to figure out why someone hasn't made a sbc pan with fins especially for airboats? Maybe next year.
Is that 427 fi or carbed. I have a new holley 750 pro billet and the linkage rattle is getting on my nerves.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

Holley 850 Ultra HP .Purrs like a big cat. Went with a pan they use on road racers. It has traps to prevent quick movement of the oil.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

Analysis sometimes is theory. Buy it or don't. Still theory.
Guess it depends what side of the fence one is on. :)

I am curious as to the A/F ratio in the 2000-3000 RPM range with the 850 HP. Massive carb. Torque/HP @ WOT shines. How is the across the board burn??
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

I'm sure it was theory as to oil pickup tube. They said drag car launches 2 maybe 3 times a day and airboat does it 50 or more times a day. Constant movement of 20 lbs on end of tube weaken it. They stood behind their product and they did break down. I can't say enough good about Whites Preformance.

the 750 was snappier out of the hole than 850.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

I really like White's. Especially enjoyed talking to Chris about 4" stroke pieces.

Do you tune with an air/fuel ratio meter? I find the straight up and down venturi an interesting choice when talking the 850.

Just poking about the pickup tube. I am kinda ornery that way. One of the multiple choices would have been a stress crack due to crystalized metal. This stress crack due to vibration. Crystalized metal due to improper cooling technique. No accusations here. Theory is multiple choice. Possibilities are just that.

When someone is putting it down, our choice as whether or not to pick it up or pick up our feet due to the depth of the matter. Again, JMO- :)

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bdriller »

flying fish wrote:I really like White's. Especially enjoyed talking to Chris about 4" stroke pieces.

Do you tune with an air/fuel ratio meter? I find the straight up and down venturi an interesting choice when talking the 850.

Just poking about the pickup tube. I am kinda ornery that way. One of the multiple choices would have been a stress crack due to crystalized metal. This stress crack due to vibration. Crystalized metal due to improper cooling technique. No accusations here. Theory is multiple choice. Possibilities are just that.

When someone is putting it down, our choice as whether or not to pick it up or pick up our feet due to the depth of the matter. Again, JMO- :)
we had the same thing happen on a stroker recently, crank spun in half after the engine burnt bearings till it seized pulled it down and seen where the pikup tube had been welded to the oilpump, mild steel pikup tube welded to a cast iron oil pump pathetic, maybe brazed might have worked.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

thread started about Ox Box and ended on my motor . Back to the box , Dan builds one helluva gear drive, the cam broke and got wedged between rods and block and prop went from 2k+ to 0 instantly, boat felt like it was going to roll over , it was so violent. Stripped the harmonic balancer but not a scratch to box. If you haven't looked at one , you need to.
Last edited by junglecat on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

junglecat
I had hoped to humour you with theory. The pickup tube analysis made me smile.

If you were to choose a tapered venturi 950 HP, "theoretically" you would get your throttle responce back, and also be running a smaller carb than the 850?? Go figure.

Sorry for getting sidetracked. Enjoy reading about your adventure and you sure have a nice boat. !!

Pitbull
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Pitbull »

The clutch makes it easy to clean and adjust the prop, it just freaks people out when your driving down the road and the prop is turning.,

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Sorry Jungle, I have dreams of all alum 427's jumping over the fence like sheep, LOL.
Since I down piped my exhaust and installed some real mufflers, i hear my carb linkage rattle.

Pitbull:
I did the same thing but let me tell you its not a good idea. I only ran to the store with my line lock engaged and had two people jump out at red lights to tell me my motor was running.

Norris
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Norris »

Just saw the first one in person, a boat that GTO built for a friend of ours in Nebraska. Had one of of our 625 hp 427 lsx engines in it. We build these with a lot of factory GM parts, including the ls 3 valley cover. The valley cover hangs out over the back of the engine a bit and the ox box either hits the valley cover or comes close. I'm sure Dan will address this issue on the box, as we will on the engines. Norris

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

ran new motor this afternoon , its a monster. Still breaking in rings so did not push it hard , but it will snap the prop so much quicker than the 383 . I haven't turned it past 4k but it climbs everything I put in front of it . No effort to cruise at all.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

And I said I was sorry for talking about your motor on this thread. Dang feline's?

So that 427 has some umph over a 355 home build? 427 has always been a goal for me. 409 rat was a bad experience but 427 just seems to work no matter what its in.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

the increase in torque is amazing . It snaps the prop at same setting 3 like its nothing. It is a lot more responsive . Electric Livorsic tach can't keep up with rev.
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Come on?

That's a 200 tach.

I'm drooling over a 427 and you got Livorsic to boot.

Man I need to get out of environmental care to support my rigs LOL ( NOT )

Return to “Automotive Power Only”