OX-Drive Gearbox

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
STINGER477
Southern Airboat Member

OX-Drive Gearbox

Post by STINGER477 »

Id like to say "THANKS" to "Dan The Airboat Man" for all the tech support and taking time to answer questions that we have thrown at him about prop size and pitch,etc, And also for building a very well-made and incredibly - quiet gearbox (Ox-Drive). I have owned several different gearboxes (K-way,Rotator,and Stinger) all good boxes, no issues. But when Dan talked me into trying his Ox-Drive there was a very noticeable difference in the sounds coming from my set-up, "No gearbox chatter at all"
I bought a 2.68 for my boat and when my father in-law heard how quiet it was he had me pick -up the phone and order a 2.55 box for his boat, got a buddy that just cant stand-it he just has to have one too! He's getting ready to buy one for his boat. These things are "really smooth".
Thanks again Dan. :thumbleft:

River-Runner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: OX-Drive Gearbox

Post by River-Runner »

Dan has a great box I have one on my boat now. It has about 5 hours on it now an it has 0 gear box noise. I won't have any other gear box after running his box

blackhornet
Southern Airboat Member

Post by blackhornet »

Stinger477 is right, that box is amazingly quiet!! I have a rotator now but hopefully soon I will have one! I am not going to talk bad about any other box out there they all have quality products but the lack of gear noise is incredible!! Congrats to Dan on a great product!!
rather be lucky than good

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

STINGER477 wrote:Id like to say "THANKS" to "Dan The Airboat Man" for all the tech support and taking time to answer questions that we have thrown at him about prop size and pitch,etc, And also for building a very well-made and incredibly - quiet gearbox (Ox-Drive). I have owned several different gearboxes (K-way,Rotator,and Stinger) all good boxes, no issues. But when Dan talked me into trying his Ox-Drive there was a very noticeable difference in the sounds coming from my set-up, "No gearbox chatter at all"
I bought a 2.68 for my boat and when my father in-law heard how quiet it was he had me pick -up the phone and order a 2.55 box for his boat, got a buddy that just cant stand-it he just has to have one too! He's getting ready to buy one for his boat. These things are "really smooth".
Thanks again Dan. :thumbleft:

Not sure how much you use your rig but I would estimate your going to get quite a few years at least, so far from my experience of problem free use. I think I'm pushing 300 hours but don't quote me! I had to take a couple weeks off for other things.

eazy89
Southern Airboat Member

Post by eazy89 »

What does an ox box cost ball park?

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

Prices vary depending on app. I have mine set up for the clutch but without clutch. It has a shaft like a manual 4 speed that installs sooooo easy. You don't have to bolt everything to your flywheel..
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

DDPWRD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DDPWRD »

Any idea on a price cor a clutch box in 2.7 for a ls3?
BLOWIN THE WIND

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine »

Give Brian a call, he's the new owner of Ox Drives

phone: 863.581.9710
email: qsairboats@aol.com
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Not that its breaking news, but Shane, you sir are a class act. :thumbleft:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

Deano wrote:Not that its breaking news, but Shane, you sir are a class act. :thumbleft:
X2 yes he is.

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Shane that was mighty white of you to throw Brian a bone. That's awesome!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2011 Al David / AV 540

simpleman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by simpleman »

Shane is by far is a man of his word,i sold my OXBOX after i got tired of the no answer the phone and throw a text once in a while.Dealing with buying that OXBOX had to be the most aggervating thing i ever went threw,nothing was more frustrating then spending all that money and get no response at all and,especially after talking 5 more of my buddys to go with that box and then how long and what we went threw to get them and then needing to fix one and couldnt get a phone call back or even a text,the only response was from reading on the computer that the owner took off and went to work on a oil rig.SO IF ANYONE IS LOOKING INTO BUYING A GEARBOX I WOULD DEFINATELY BUY A BALLISTIC,thats whats on my boat now,and on helms boat and soon three more oxboxes will be on the classified for sale and will be putting ballistic boxes on there boat.and if interested you can pm me and i can get you hooked up with a box and help you with any questions.and to this day still never heard a word from dan the airboat man. :(

SkinnerBack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SkinnerBack »

Damn doesn't own ox box anymore sold it to the guy who owns quick slicki believe,can't remember his name thou having a brain fart....

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Simpleman it sucks to hear that with Dan, he was awesome to deal with at one time. Those days are over now, Brian is going continue to provide excellent customer service just as he always has with the Slickbottom.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2011 Al David / AV 540

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy »

Deano wrote:Not that its breaking news, but Shane, you sir are a class act. :thumbleft:
:cheers: well like ive always said competition is what makes great products..

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats »

Simpleman don't think for a second that those 3 used ox boxes won't make make 3 new happy ox box owners. They will sell and the one's that buy them will be happy to get them ......By the way pm me a price on a 2.68 .. thanks
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

simpleman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by simpleman »

getchasumairboats,thats great for the new owners and sucks for the orginal owners,yes was glad mine sold, check with helms he is trying to sell his and check with ptr34 and he will give you a price on a new box.and if there is a new owner of the oxbox then he needs to start a new post stating that,because it was a good product but has a bad taste in alot of peoples eyes,maybe if you put out the money like i did and alot of other people then you would understand.And i guess who cares about the orginal customers,we will start with the new ones.havent met the new owner or spoke to the new owner,alls im stating is my frustation from the orginal dealings i and my friends had with the orginal owner. :old_glory:

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler »

simpleman wrote:if there is a new owner of the oxbox then he needs to start a new post stating that,
He did a couple of months ago.. http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... +box+owner and as far as I know he has already righted ALL the wrongs left to him from Dan..

simpleman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by simpleman »

smuggler then thats great,and the owner should have no problem gettin it up off the ground.i was box number 3 and liked the product so much and the orginal owner that i sent all the money for the box up front,so by far was i not a great customer but its water under the bus now,sold it and running my new box that im very happy with. :old_glory:

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

MILSAR wrote:Give Brian a call, he's the new owner of Ox Drives

phone: 863.581.9710
email: qsairboats@aol.com
Shane I don't care what anyone says your top notch in my book :thumbleft: It's hard to find people like you these days....
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

simpleman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by simpleman »

farmboy,im with you on that,shane by far has been nothing but a great bussiness person to deal with,and will for sure pay off for him in the long run,customer service goes along way.

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

simpleman wrote:farmboy,im with you on that,shane by far has been nothing but a great bussiness person to deal with,and will for sure pay off for him in the long run,customer service goes along way.
I agree :thumbleft:
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

DDPWRD wrote:Any idea on a price cor a clutch box in 2.7 for a ls3?

I will have a custom carbon content clutch ox ready next month. If your price shopping for a regular redrive, I can't compete but if you really need a clutch drive with some real user friendly options, shoot me a PM.

ptillman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ptillman »

Simpleman,
You said all was great when you ordered the OxBox. Then you ordered some more. you must have really liked it! Then it went to sh*t. Now lessons learned, why didn't you go with a proven Stinger or Rotator? Hell, rotator has been around for a long time, and is quite a business. Instead you go with another new company with out a real showing. Sounds like this sets you up all over again. Now, I definitly have nothing against Ballistic, Shane, or Jim Allen. I just have a problem with your comments. Ox may have had issues, as well as Dan. But now Brian owens the rights, and is running it as part of his established business. I personally bought product from Dan in the past, and I was completely satisfied. I do understand that Dan hit on hell of a speed bump. I really think he is trying to make it right. I know it was difficult on him money wise, and it is real hard to make it right when he just did not have the money to do so. I am sure there were better ways for him to handle it. But, lets remember all the good things he did also, not just the last mishap! JMO... This in no way represents anyone feelings, ideas, or interpretations than my own.....
2014 14x8 JB Hull,421 SBC, Rotator 2.68:1, 82" NGR
12' Thurman, o470 angle valve, 72" WhirlWind Prop (SOLD)
13' Hamant, 383 Chevy, Blue Lightning Drive, 80" R 3 Blade (SOLD)

ptillman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ptillman »

I will probably regret that post!!!!
2014 14x8 JB Hull,421 SBC, Rotator 2.68:1, 82" NGR
12' Thurman, o470 angle valve, 72" WhirlWind Prop (SOLD)
13' Hamant, 383 Chevy, Blue Lightning Drive, 80" R 3 Blade (SOLD)

Return to “Automotive Power Only”