What's y'all toughts on this motor

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

What's y'all toughts on this motor

Post by josh_2562 »

This is the guys ad. I know nothing about building engines or what good parts are for a airboat

Looking to sell my 388 stroker, only has about 20 min of run time. It's a freshly bored .060 over 4 bolt main block with a eagle 388 externally balanced rotating assembly, PBM aluminum heads, roller rockers, .510 lift flat tappet hydrolic cam, dual plane air gap intake, Billet distributor with summit racing multi spark ignition, high volume oil pump, all parts are brand new and most of the hardware is brand new ARP hardware and i'm sure i'm forgetting some details. I estimate it should put out about 450hp
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: What's y'all toughts on this motor

Post by JAMES »

jmo .60 sbc is a no no ..like i said jmo another thing is every built motor is 450 hp dident u no that !!lol 450 is not hard to achive but you must do alot to insure its built right ask him questions like did u degree cam/quench/endplay specs ect jsut to see what he knows b4 putting money out UNLESS ITS A WELL KNOWN BUILDER ..jmo
whats he want for it .. another thing is he should of broke the cam n while he was their running it 20 min wont do it..

i just built a similar motor for less then 3k all new parts and machine work with a 0 deck alinedhoned block .30 forged
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator
akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

What did he do with it in that 20 minutes run time, was that 5 runs down the strip, or was the last minute underwater? You need to know what cam, if cam is for 7000 rpm peak power, not for a airboat. Why is he selling it, another way of asking same question, what is wrong with it now? Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska
josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 »

The engine was build for a mud truck. He's asking $2000. Thanks for the help
josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 »

James I know nothing about building car engines. What should he have degrees the cam to? What is quench? What are good end play specs?
He said the compression is 10.5:1
boobidges
Southern Airboat Member

Post by boobidges »

Most important question. Is why is he selling it after 20 minutes running?
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

josh_2562 wrote:James I know nothing about building car engines. What should he have degrees the cam to? What is quench? What are good end play specs?
He said the compression is 10.5:1
i was throwing that out their cause if he built it that should be ? the builder would no or have handy jmo dont worrie about that ..
ask what cam as said already sounds to not be airboat ready mud truck = lowend now maybe dd but depends on cam another ? is why is he selling it a stroker kit is around 800 puls 600 more in machine work plus heads and misc parts

just do your home work sound like it could be a good deal ... i dont wanna see u get fked ....
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator
Gangreen
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gangreen »

If it is a 3951511 block and is 60 over stay away. I ran a lot of them blocks direct drive and know all about them. 30 over max on boring them. Back in the day we would run a 400 block with a light cam and heads from a camaro 305 motor and run with the o540's. But if someone is going to use a chevy 400 block these days you need a good machine man and you should know all the things its going to take to make it bullet proof. If not you will end up with a mess. It can be done but without prior experience on a 400 block I would not recommend it. If its any block but a chevy factory block I would ask more questions.
air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts »

for $2000 dollars you can't beat it you can't buy the parts you described for that as long as there forged pistons and not hyperujunktik
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer
josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 »

I asked him what parts were in it and this is what he said.

factory 4 bolt main block, freshly bored .60 over, eagle balanced rotating assembly, pbm aluminum heads, erson cam, erson lifters, erson timing set, 7 qt oil pan with high volume oil pump and hardened pump shaft, air gap dual plane intake, holley 750dp ms, summit racing multi spark ignition system with billet distributo and the motor is assembled with mostly brand new ARP hardware. Built for mostly torque and mid range but should pull to 6k rpm, est 425hp and only has about 20 min of run time that was just to break in the cam.

If I get the engine I would be trading my polaris 800 for worth around $3000
Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

josh_2562 wrote:I asked him what parts were in it and this is what he said.

factory 4 bolt main block, freshly bored .60 over, eagle balanced rotating assembly, pbm aluminum heads, erson cam, erson lifters, erson timing set, 7 qt oil pan with high volume oil pump and hardened pump shaft, air gap dual plane intake, holley 750dp ms, summit racing multi spark ignition system with billet distributo and the motor is assembled with mostly brand new ARP hardware. Built for mostly torque and mid range but should pull to 6k rpm, est 425hp and only has about 20 min of run time that was just to break in the cam.

for 3400 u can get a blueprint 383 420 hp crate motor with a year warranty id just sell the polaris outright and get the new engine
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X
todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover »

If your serious find someone who knows more tban you then pull the oil pan you'll be able to see what crank rods and pistons look at the cam lobe to make sure he didn't wipe one off in 20 min pull the valve covers and do a visual but sounds like a good deal for the money assuming nothings Sri g and the clearances are right
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

josh_2562 wrote:I asked him what parts were in it and this is what he said.

SOUNDS GOOD BUT EITHER TO THINGS IF ITS A FLAT TAPPET HE DID NIT BREAK IT IN RIGHT AND IF ITS A TRUE ROLLER IT DONT NEED BROKE IT ..JUST THE RINGS DOES ..ITS GOOD TO BREAK A MOTOR IN WITH PROPER RUN TIME JUST THATS THAT ..

Return to “Automotive Power Only”