I am building my 1st airboat and need input.

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Jimmy Crackcorn
Southern Airboat Member

I am building my 1st airboat and need input.

Post by Jimmy Crackcorn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 pm

I went out on my friends airboat the other night and now I just have to have one. So I have been on here reading everything I could and this is what I am thinking about building. Any input you guys have good or bad please help me out before I start buying parts for this project.

Boat. http://hamantboats.com/ I am thinking of either a 14'x8' or the 15'x8' its only a $200 difference.

Engine. http://blueprintengines.com/index.php/p ... p38313ctc1

Prop. http://alumitech.net/shop-here/#!/~/pro ... id=1456548 I am really not sure on the prop so please give input.

Gear drive. http://www.classicairboats.com/ROTATOR- ... .Item.html I am not set on a gear box brand or ratio so I need input.

Thanks in advance...
Jimmy

davemotes
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: I am building my 1st airboat and need input.

Post by davemotes » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 pm

:scratch: You went on a airboat one time and now you want to build one :shock: I hope you have deep pockets :wink: because you will need them :lol: Good luck :thumbleft: You came to the right place for info :salute:

Jimmy Crackcorn
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jimmy Crackcorn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:34 pm

davemotes the other night was my first time in many years on a airboat. I do ok with my money but I would not say I have deep pockets. I am thinking it will cost about $25,000.

Jimmy

FlatsFisher
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by FlatsFisher » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Ride with your buddy, and chip in on fuel...it's a never ending money pit. Good luck!

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Not sure about the hull I have never owned one of thier's. But as far as the rest of it I just sold a 14x8 I built using an alumitech hull with a 500hp 383 and a 3 blade sensenich r series and it was an awesome running boat. I switched from the rotator to the ballistic boxes because of the noise the rotators make. I think you will be alright with the 430hp but for a little more money I would go closer to 500hp with a 268 box and a 82 inch 3 blade r. As far as my personal experience with the big 3 alumitech hands down builds the best all around hull. The engines I use are built by Glen Treadwell and they run great. I am building 3 boats right now and they will all have his engines on the with the ballistic box and alumitech hulls. I am sure you will get enough opinions on here to make your head spin but that's what I use. Good luck and welcome to the Affliction :salute:
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

mike99705
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mike99705 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Much cheaper to buy a used boat untill you have more stick time to know what you want in a boat. JMO
8 x 15 alumitech 383 mas from gto 3 blade r 2.3 belt

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Birddog247 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:40 pm

An old man once told me when i began my boat build that it better be your passion. He wasn't kidding! You better be ready to eat sleep and breath that shiz for the next 4 to 6 months minimuim. If you have a wife and kids tell them you wont be around for a while. Good luck its a lot of fun and may cost more in beer than materials!!!!

Birddog247
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Don't let anybody discourage you. If you can afford it build the nicest boat you can. Junk ain't any fun. You also cant have too much horsepower.
More is better on a 14' or 15" boat. Stuck sucks.

Start reading and come back with more questions.
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 pm

mike99705 wrote:Much cheaper to buy a used boat untill you have more stick time to know what you want in a boat. JMO
X2!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Jimmy Crackcorn
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jimmy Crackcorn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 pm

I have been looking at used and don't see what I want for the price I want to spend. I am retired from the US Army and have plenty of time when the wife and kids are at work and school. I have my own shop in my backyard to build it in so that helps alot. I just want to know what is the best combo before I start. I am planing on doing this in the next 3 to 6 months.

Jimmy
Jimmy CrackCorn

derek
Southern Airboat Member

Post by derek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:36 am

I have a 14x7.6 diamond with poly 300hp 350 with rotator 2.37 and a 79" r and it wi run the hill pretty decent it could use alittle more hp but it does fine for now

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:36 am

Airboats should be registered with CDC and listed with the DEA for addictive substances ! Since you already got bit there is no known cure other than to live with the addiction.

As for your hull, you can't go wrong with any of the big 3 and some of the smaller guys do superb work as well. Engines, well, just be sure you get an engine built professionally and specifically for airboat use. Car and truck engines run like car and truck engines, airboat engines run like airboat engines. I know it sounds silly but its a truth you will learn. Gear boxes by now are mostly a proven entity with noise seeming to be the major concern now, they all will live long if maintained according to the manufacturer. Good props are the rule now days too. All the big players are top notch.

I'll offer my sympathy right now. I only have one admonition. Keep the damned thing in perspective and keep family first. Never let the boat (toy) erode family needs and relationships. This is the single most dangerous part of airboating. Never make a kid eat trash or miss a meal so you can go play with your new toy. Keep mama happy at all times. This applies to money as well as your time. Ok, lecture over. Keep us all posted as your boat goes together and share lots of pictures. :thumbleft:

Welcome to Southern Airboat. Please READ the RULES. ;)
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 am

I believe I would buy a used boat and learn the what to do and what NOT to do before you build your own,,,

And ride and drive lots of boats, all are a little different,,,

This is a SICKNESS and like Bear said, There is NO CURE,,, ;-)

Welcome to our family,,, Keep us posted with lots of pictures,,,

:drunken: :rebel: :old_glory:

Cowboy
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 am

There is a (Camo)16x8 AirRanger in the classifieds for 32K. Arkansas boat with a 502 fuel injected powerplant. This boat looks like a bargain for sure.
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:27 pm

helms24 wrote:Bro build you own boat... Buy a hull and rig it out ur self... Just get good help on the engine stand.. Pic a power plant and box prop combo and go.. Read some of the build threads.. Just remember half the folks that tell you not to do something and get more ride time before you build... Just ask Ti ride on there boats and u will see that they need to go back to the drawing board.. Ur money....have some fun... How I built mine was buy the hull and have someone rig it the way I want.. I don't have the resources to do it my self... :salute:
x2!
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:18 pm

X3........ If you build or buy something less than what you wanted , you will have less. If you decide to upgrade later it always cost more to do it later. Take your time , research what you want , learn from others mistakes , if it takes longer to build , so what you will have the boat you wanted.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

hirise
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by hirise » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:42 pm

x4, that is want i am currently doing. i dont think you will regret it
15x8 alumitech,2.5 OX BOX,4 blade R 80" ,540 BBC Pro series

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MULE, JUST KEEP LOADING THE WAGON

Jimmy Crackcorn
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jimmy Crackcorn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:28 pm

I am going to build a new airboat. All the used boats are either beat up or to much money. And they are left hand rudder control. I know it can be changed to right hand control but then I have to move the gauges and I don't want to do that. So if I am going to spend $25, 000 on a boat why not just build a new one the way I want it. With that being said what I need is input on this combo. Like is there a better prop or a better gearbox or a better gear ratio that you guys would recommend.
Jimmy CrackCorn

Jimmy Crackcorn
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jimmy Crackcorn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:01 pm

I am going to build a new airboat. All the used boats are either beat up or to much money. And they are left hand rudder control. I know it can be changed to right hand control but then I have to move the gauges and I don't want to do that. So if I am going to spend $25, 000 on a boat why not just build a new one the way I want it. With that being said what I need is input on this combo. Like is there a better prop or a better gearbox or a better gear ratio that you guys would recommend.
Jimmy CrackCorn

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southern safaris » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:57 pm

helms24 wrote:Bro build you own boat... Buy a hull and rig it out ur self... Just get good help on the engine stand.. Pic a power plant and box prop combo and go.. Read some of the build threads.. Just remember half the folks that tell you not to do something and get more ride time before you build... Just ask Ti ride on there boats and u will see that they need to go back to the drawing board.. Ur money....have some fun... How I built mine was buy the hull and have someone rig it the way I want.. I don't have the resources to do it my self... :salute:
X2

I built and rode out on the first personal airboat I had ever been on , with a motor to my knowledge never been used on an airboat and had the time of my life , I listened to a lot of folks on here that offered helpful advice and to all of them I owe a lot too , I did start with the idea that it was my first boat and it might be a flop but let me tell you when you start with a bare hull and then when your ready to crank it for its maiden voyage you will have a much better grasp and respect and knowledge for airboating than those that buy a used boat (not knocking them or trying to start a war) and ride out , reason being I've seen some of the crap people try to sell others and call it a turn key boat , mine ain't nothing to look at for sure but some of the time bombs people sell will scare you and I tell you I know every nut bolt and weld on my boat.... That means more to me than money saved , there is nothing wrong with buying a good used boat , I did months of good reading on here before starting so I suggest the same , take everyone's thoughts goods bads and uglies and have fun but don't get discouraged I wouldn't have done it any different I had a blast .... And I have to agree with one of the previous posts ,,,, I spent a fortune in beer thinking and figuring but man what good times ...... I'd do it all over
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

Dan Coffey
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Dan Coffey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Damn there's a lot of negative bs on here. For 25k you can almost buy a new boat, I have a 15 GTO I bought great boat, then I bought a hull and rigging and redid it and hung the motor on it, that was fun, my third boat is in paint right now it started off as bundles of emt, angle and lots of parts it's the best it's all mine.
Build you boat if you have the ability, no one can take that feeling from you
Danny Coffey
13' Scorpion 383 Stroker, Stinger gear box, 3 Blade 80" R
12' Jimmy White Step Hull, O 480, 72" 5 Blade Warp Drive

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by wildcard » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 pm

if you shop to buy parts,you can build a nice boat close to you're price range.

ranger2008
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ranger2008 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 pm

I have built three boats or should I say tore down and reassembled three boats and just now am getting to enjoy them let me tell you from experience it is very rewarding to se your creation come to life and see everyone smile the first time you pull away from the boat ramp. I hope you have a very broad skill set good luck have fun and keep the family involved......

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:19 am

jimmycrackcorn; I would rethink the right hand steering unless you are left handed. unless you are left handed. you need to keep your right hand free to work with. its why a lot of the old timers used foot steering to keep the hands free to work. (and sometimes lift a can of cool aid) good luck. I, like you built my own mistakes.

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:48 am

Whitebear wrote: Engines, well, just be sure you get an engine built professionally and specifically for airboat use. Car and truck engines run like car and truck engines, airboat engines run like airboat engines. I know it sounds silly but its a truth you will learn.
This is very good advise. I see where GTO offers a similar power engine with a 2 year warranty for an engine made for an airboat, it is about $2000.00 more than the one you are looking at but probably well worth it in the long run.

http://www.gtoairboats.com/engine-packa ... hp-sb.html

Return to “Automotive Power Only”