precision gear drive

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
bassinflats
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

precision gear drive

Post by bassinflats »

Just bolted on up to my 350 chevy motor and it seem like it takes more starter power to turn motor over. Do you have to go to a high torque starter. Motor seems to spin fast enough with old starter and no reduction box. Just wondering if I have a tired starter, even tried a different battery and same results. Only built one airboat before this and it was direct drive, any suggestions would be hlpful
bassinflats

wes30
Southern Airboat Member

Re: precision gear drive

Post by wes30 »

I have a precision on my 406 ,it seemed to drag little bit more when the gears were newer and tighter but never did change original starter to a high torque.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

bassinflats wrote:Just bolted on up to my 350 chevy motor and it seem like it takes more starter power to turn motor over. Do you have to go to a high torque starter. Motor seems to spin fast enough with old starter and no reduction box. Just wondering if I have a tired starter, even tried a different battery and same results. Only built one airboat before this and it was direct drive, any suggestions would be hlpful
IVE NEVER SEEN A GEARBOX MAKE A MOTOR STARTER DRAG ..MAYBE IF ITS NOT TORQUED RIGHT I GUESS ITS POSSIBLE
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

kfowler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by kfowler »

i have a pretty basic 350 with a precision box. standard starter no trouble. make sure you got a good battery. if you have high compression you may need a gear reduction starter or just try a new starter

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

If its just a box and no prop it shouldn't make any noticable difference. It could be starter , bad ground, a number of things.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

bassinflats
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by bassinflats »

ok guys tried hooking up battery directly off truck didn't make any difference. Thanks for the input guess I
I will trying calling Vaughn at precision gear drive tomorrow didn't want to bother him on the week end, will let you all know what I Find out.
bassinflats

stoner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stoner »

Did the box spin free before ya put it on the engine?
14x8 Griffin Aluminum, SBC, Precision 2:1, 80"RazorX turbo.
Sarasota Fla.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”