Scotty's Airboat build update

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Scotty's Airboat build update

Post by scottyroll » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:33 pm

I made some good headway the past few weeks. It started by taking the boxes of ordered parts out of my house and strapping them on to my engine followed by a few hundred trips to the local auto stores :lol: . There's about 4 stores with in 3miles of my boat and all of them know that I'm the guy who says he's building an airboat. I got the return coolant lines mounted using automotive tubing pieces with internal spring, connectors, clear pvc braided pipe for coolant visibility (1ft) , hose clamps and a pivot style water neck. On-to the pick up side of the cooling system tomorrow :bounce:

Side note: Does anybody know if the thick ring that goes on the crank pulley bolt is necessary? My bolt isn't long enough for it and I was going to use a standard washer and crush lock washer if would be OK to run like that. I don't understand the need for the thick ring so any input on that would be appreciated.
Attachments
php7ybEBUPM.jpg
php7ybEBUPM.jpg (188.19 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
phpS1QEvDPM.jpg
phpS1QEvDPM.jpg (181.24 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
phpHhrxEHPM.jpg
phpHhrxEHPM.jpg (187.47 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Scotty's Airboat build update

Post by :) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Looks even better with the cage mounted on..
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dirtman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Who did your rigging it looks like a nice clean job
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Dirtman wrote:Who did your rigging it looks like a nice clean job
Rigging was one thing that was out of my league for sure on this build. I contacted a few people and decided to have Chris Chardt @ Dakota Airboat's do the metal work after seeing his ad in the SA classifieds and meeting him down at his shop in Melbourne which I traveled by frequently earlier this year while on I-95. From what I experienced; he was a good business man, knowledgeable builder, and stuck to his deadlines. All for a reasonable price considering it would have bankrupted me if I had tried to do it myself and due to the fact that not everyone sticks to their word :shock: . My engine and gearbox fit in just fine and I would do business with him again.
FLAwless

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:44 pm

use the thick washer . buy a longer grade 8 bolt. not sure what the torque spec is.
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Yes you need a quality bolt and the thick washer. GM did that for a reason. Also locktite and a torque wrench. You should already have those from when you installed the flexplate and gearbox.
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 am

skinny99 wrote:Yes you need a quality bolt and the thick washer. GM did that for a reason. Also locktite and a torque wrench. You should already have those from when you installed the flexplate and gearbox.
swamper2 wrote:use the thick washer . buy a longer grade 8 bolt. not sure what the torque spec is.
10-4 guys, every time I need a fine thread bolts Lowe's is out or only has one and not two.. and home depot's hardware department has been pretty sorry all together for this build. Only difference I've seen between the two are the colors of their buildings and hardware department selections... I Think I'll try an ACE store if I can find one close by. And I'll def rent a torque from the autoparts store; they have all sorts of tools and diagnostic equipment that they will lend and not charge as long as you bring it back which helps my wallet :cheers:
FLAwless

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Striker543 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:35 am

scottyroll wrote:
skinny99 wrote:Yes you need a quality bolt and the thick washer. GM did that for a reason. Also locktite and a torque wrench. You should already have those from when you installed the flexplate and gearbox.
swamper2 wrote:use the thick washer . buy a longer grade 8 bolt. not sure what the torque spec is.
10-4 guys, every time I need a fine thread bolts Lowe's is out or only has one and not two.. and home depot's hardware department has been pretty sorry all together for this build. Only difference I've seen between the two are the colors of their buildings and hardware department selections... I Think I'll try an ACE store if I can find one close by. And I'll def rent a torque from the autoparts store; they have all sorts of tools and diagnostic equipment that they will lend and not charge as long as you bring it back which helps my wallet :cheers:
My experience has hands down been Ace has a better stock that's easier to navigate of screws/bolts/nuts than Lowes or Home Depot.

Also, you might as well buy a torque wrench. You're going to need it, at a minimum, any time you want to adjust your prop.

Dixiedog60
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dixiedog60 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:48 am

Scotty, use Bernies tool and fastener on Highyway ave for any kind of bolt you may need. PM me if you need directions.
Freedom is Abridged by Silent Encroachment.---James Madison

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:49 am

Nice clean looking build you're doing .
Not trying to be negative but I think you should check into how much heat the PCV hose can take . I use a lot of schedule 80 PVC chemical pipe at work and it doesn't like heat . Gets really soft and fails . Wouldn't want to see you take a hot coolant shower . CPVC is used for higher temp applications .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

8cyl-sled
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 8cyl-sled » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:34 am

Scotty, go to J B Nase at 2124 Edison Ave. off of Stockton St. They are a great bunch of guys with everything you need and great prices. It's kinda nice to go into a place that doesn't own a computer and keeps a hand written price sheet too! I buy all my nuts, bolts and washers from there.
Billy

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Bob in Canada wrote:Nice clean looking build you're doing .
Not trying to be negative but I think you should check into how much heat the PCV hose can take . I use a lot of schedule 80 PVC chemical pipe at work and it doesn't like heat . Gets really soft and fails . Wouldn't want to see you take a hot coolant shower . CPVC is used for higher temp applications .
Not negative at all..and thank you for your concern; There is only about a 1ft section at the top of the water neck leading to automotive radiator hose on the other end and I will see how it does during the engine break in and ground testing. It seems durable and sturdy but then again heat can do terrible things in short order. :!:
8cyl-sled wrote:Scotty, go to J B Nase at 2124 Edison Ave. off of Stockton St. They are a great bunch of guys with everything you need and great prices. It's kinda nice to go into a place that doesn't own a computer and keeps a hand written price sheet too! I buy all my nuts, bolts and washers from there.
I will check them out today and PM you my experience. I got my engine built at H&M engines who are also off of Stockton and would love to be able to pass by another big box store knowing I can get parts and service from good local business people.
FLAwless

8cyl-sled
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 8cyl-sled » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Yeah they are maybe 1/4 mile from H&M.
Billy

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:00 pm

CONGRATS on the build! :cheers: Looking good! :thumbleft:
Call me a pessimist but that is the first thing I noticed. I broke the nipple off my radiator the other day and took scalding hot coolant up my shirt sleeve under my arm and it was not fun.
FYI....
High-Pressure PVC Tubing
Clear
Opaque White
Very flexible
Semisoft (Shore A73)
Temperature Range: 25° to 150° F
Use with barbed fittings
Polyester braid is embedded into the walls of this tubing, giving it strength to stand up to higher pressures than nonreinforced PVC tubing. Use with water, air, and food. Tubing is made from FDA-compliant resins. It can be sterilized with steam (autoclaving) and gas.
You might want to look here if you want the clear hose:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plast ... ng/=omv5fl

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:40 pm

PeaRiverOpossum, thanks for the heads up. Here is a graph chart I found explaining the correlation of working pressure and heat for this material. I hope someone who has done this before will chime in. I think I'll be cutting it close but could make it work. Call me an optimist ...lol

http://hydralink.hydrasun.com/specifica ... S05000.pdf
Attachments
EOS05000.pdf
(102.56 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
FLAwless

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 am

When I do the conversion it works out to a "working pressure " of 30 psi @ 158 F .
I'd think with one instance of a boil over that takes you closer to 200 F there would be a high probability that you or some one on the boat will end the day with second and third degree burns .
Repeated heating cycles won't make that hose any tougher . I like the concept of clear hose but I wouldn't have it on my boat .
The pvc pipe I work with will turn fluid with a heat gun on it a bit too long .

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Striker543 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Scotty, if you want to replace the tubing in question, I think I've got enough extra 1 1/2" exhaust hose I'll send you for the cost of shipping. If you want it, pm me where to send it to and what length you need.
Last edited by Striker543 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:41 pm

I tried it because it was cheap. At operating temp under pressure it would double in diameter. after cool down it returned to almost normal diameter. then I built steel tube rad lines.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 am

Bob in Canada wrote:When I do the conversion it works out to a "working pressure " of 30 psi @ 158 F .
I'd think with one instance of a boil over that takes you closer to 200 F there would be a high probability that you or some one on the boat will end the day with second and third degree burns .
Repeated heating cycles won't make that hose any tougher . I like the concept of clear hose but I wouldn't have it on my boat .
The pvc pipe I work with will turn fluid with a heat gun on it a bit too long .
It really would be a stupid thing for me to argue against your point of view since I believe your math checks out and the possibility of my stubbornness causing 2nd and 3rd degree burns to myself or anyone else would be hard to deal with. Airboating is as dangerous as we make it most times. I PM'd Crowhater and he said he's ran it for 4years and up to 1000 horse power with no apparent issue and Wild Bill was nice enough to share his experience too. I still might use a small section of it by the radiator but it will be semi covered and def not be right behind my head like it is now!
FLAwless

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am

Why risk it? You can get the high temp stuff here. Sorry if I'm missing something?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plast ... ng/=ontnjb

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:01 am

Nice start for a build, the hose thing well you just being hard headed but that is airboater and if you post a pic of a build and say what ya think you get a answer 8) 8) 8) the clear hose is junk, the least splices you have the better so if it blows and you cook down your engine you wish you spent a few bucks more 8) 8) 8) How you do the small details add up to a nice boat, if you start splices and taking short cuts right of the get go, wait to you get to the hard stuff where no simple answer is found

So use approved fuel, oil & water hoses made for extreme duty, you also need to think how to tie off all the hoses for support as well, GTO sells all that stuff by the foot and stamped USCG approved drop it in a box and ups will have it to ya in a blink. Lowes sells junk hardware & hoses and I seen about 7 boats with props ruined because of cheap bolts holding ALt bracket on.

Have fun it your money in the end so spend it the way you see fit
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:02 pm

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:Why risk it? You can get the high temp stuff here. Sorry if I'm missing something?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plast ... ng/=ontnjb
No, your not missing anything now..I've finally decided to just end this quagmire, So I bit the bullet and accepted yalls advice :violent1: I bookmarked your link and will get the right piece from that company if AND when I decide to come back to this clear tubing anomaly. Striker543 is hooking me up with some 1.5" exhaust hose for just shipping :salute: . I just got off the phone with diamondback and they got me situated with some good 1.75" stuff for the other side I believe. Every radiator hose piece pictured above is now OFF the boat. I then returned the separate automotive pieces to the parts store ...thank'd God I didn't have any burns on my skin..And then I put the piece in question where it belongs 8) :lol:
phpq0OGhxAM(1).jpg
phpq0OGhxAM(1).jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
FLAwless

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:27 pm

:lol: I think you will be glad.
I don't know if you are familiar with McMaster or not but I would consider getting your bolts and stuff from there too. The down side is that you may have to buy more than you need at the moment but that is not a bad thing. They usually only sell quality hardware and their website is second to none for specs. Now their customer service is zero help when it comes to technical questions but that is understandable since they claim to carry over 500,000 different items.

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 am

Ya did the right thing . :D

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:12 am