fuel injection or carb?

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

fuel injection or carb?

Post by rost495 »

Gonna get off my duff and try to get the 454 off and dthe 496 on this summer.

Benefits/negatives of above? Is the increase in fuel mileage and reliability and weatherproof issues worth the extra jack?

Have a carb that barely is big enough for the 454 from what I understand so adding 200 HP I'd have to buy either a new carb or fuel injection system.

leaning hard towards FI... but don't care for the 3000 buck cost I've heard..

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: fuel injection or carb?

Post by Afflicted »

rost495 wrote:Gonna get off my duff and try to get the 454 off and dthe 496 on this summer.

Benefits/negatives of above? Is the increase in fuel mileage and reliability and weatherproof issues worth the extra jack?

Have a carb that barely is big enough for the 454 from what I understand so adding 200 HP I'd have to buy either a new carb or fuel injection system.

leaning hard towards FI... but don't care for the 3000 buck cost I've heard..

I just put a carb on my 8.1 after a rebuild and I think I like it better.. But it seems like it uses twice as much gas

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

and at 4.00 a gallon at times......

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted »

It's a bowfishing boat. 80 gallon tank.. Used to u could fish all night on half a tank an never worry bout gas at all. The other night we fished 4 hr was only on plane for 6-8miles total. Burnt 35 gallons

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

7-8 miles gets me started to my duck hunts....

Of course we bowfish some in the s ummer too when water allows it. Idle even a carb isn't bad on gas IMHO.

Might be that a carb is 2000 cheaper and 2000 can buy the difference of a lot of fuel possibly.

Thats why I'm asking.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor »

Without question I would go with injection! JMO. Good to hear from you Jeff.
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

Troublesiii
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Troublesiii »

If you need a fuel injection system I have a complete system for a 8.1 let me know

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

540 mountain motor wrote:Without question I would go with injection! JMO. Good to hear from you Jeff.

Been a few years since we had duck water... just found it Friday, confirmed Saturday, whacked limits this morning. Good to run the boat again. Could have stacked em in probably 10 minutes if we had wanted to...

Need to get back to it some, but rest of the year, there is so much other stuff going on and constant fire/ems calls seems in the warmer months that pleasure stuff just doesn't happen often, plus just for the ride, tain't cheap.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Troublesiii wrote:If you need a fuel injection system I have a complete system for a 8.1 let me know
PM me info!
Jeff

lil_armond
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by lil_armond »

Jeff,

Man I would stay away from any OEM EFI system due to the fact if you need to have any tune adjustments made you have to pay a tuner. If it was me I would go EFI and use the Holley or MSD Atomic and be done with it. I have experience with both of those systems and they are simple setup and self learning. You will make more useable horsepower throughout the power range. Also it is a system you only buy once, you can pull it off and use it on any other motor.
''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
-- John Wayne

15' x 8' Alumitech w/ 84" 5 blade Superwide

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted »

U can put endless money in an 8.1 an get no power gains if the intake isn't ported or replaced. The factory setup is super restrictive

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Didn't realize 8.1 was factory stuff. I don't want factory, I want something airboat/waterproof.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor »

My boat is now almost 4 years old and I have not touched the Mass Flo Injection kit on my boat. I run 100% saltwater and starts like a stock engine in your pickup even at 22 degrees outside. MAF sensor controls idle and fuel throughout rpm range even with radical bump stick :toothy7: JMO Robert. Again good to hear from you buddy!!!
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

Return to “Automotive Power Only”