edelbrock carb

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

edelbrock carb

Post by john1edwards »

I have a 600 four barel on a dd 350 chevy, What size metering rods and jets?

thanks
Just an Orange Engine, Nothing Fancy . Proud to be an American

Chaseh
Southern Airboat Member

Re: edelbrock carb

Post by Chaseh »

Now that's info that I wouldn't know anyhuw! Did you find the videos I was telling you about?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

Ya Chase I looked at the videos, i am sure someone has done this before and has some good information.

Thanks for the reply Chase :salute:

john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

I called edelbrock today for tech help. they suggested part number 1459 for the metering rod and part number 1424 for jet. I put new plugs and going to run boat to check plugs, but I think its running rich.

SpencerMullins
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SpencerMullins »

I'm sure this is another one of those subjects that everyone has an opinion on so here is mine. It seams with the DD (mine is bone stock) everyone seems to want to over carburator them. I have small 2 barrel Rodchester off of a late 60 oldsmobile and it runs great, has good snap and super fuel efficient, 15-20 gal all weekend. The only problem with mine is it has a small bobble when first pushing the peddle down due to the small accelerator pump. I had a around a 650 edelbrock on the boat before and it was running way to fat. I have a friend running a 4 barrel edelbrock and he has issues getting his to idle down once it is hot. So my 2 cents would be to start small and work your way up. The small block DD don't require much fuel to run so you don't need much carb. Mike aka Gasforblood has a 4 barrel on his and his runs pretty good you could send him a message.
Hope this helps,
Spencer :old_glory: :rebel: :thumbleft:
Camp Ramblin' Rose
Bob "Koon Dawg" McDonald Grandson
15' Rivermaster 350 2.12 gear box 79" Wisper tip

spooledup50
Southern Airboat Member

Post by spooledup50 »

I used to race is superstock nostalgia ( 67 gto with two afb on top @ 600hp) which was required to run a Carter AFB
Which is the same as in Edelbrock carburetor
I have purchased jet kits Rod kits spring kits you name it from Edelbrock
I swear to you it seems as if just changing out the springs makes the largest difference with the stop rods

The key is figuring out what springs work with the vacuum curve kind of like a power valve on a Holley finding the right springs will create a very clean crisp engine with great throttle response

With this carburator it is very hard to over fuel or enrich the fuel system once you are over the Idol circuit
As with a metering rod system fuel can only be added as the demand of the engine can take it

This springs only change how soon the enrichment occurs
The rods control how rich the fuel is

The stock carb can safley support 400 hp all day long
As long as your pump can keep up with the flow requirements
350ci wiskey drinking son of a b&$@ch.....E85!

john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

SpencerMullins wrote:I'm sure this is another one of those subjects that everyone has an opinion on so here is mine. It seams with the DD (mine is bone stock) everyone seems to want to over carburator them. I have small 2 barrel Rodchester off of a late 60 oldsmobile and it runs great, has good snap and super fuel efficient, 15-20 gal all weekend. The only problem with mine is it has a small bobble when first pushing the peddle down due to the small accelerator pump. I had a around a 650 edelbrock on the boat before and it was running way to fat. I have a friend running a 4 barrel edelbrock and he has issues getting his to idle down once it is hot. So my 2 cents would be to start small and work your way up. The small block DD don't require much fuel to run so you don't need much carb. Mike aka Gasforblood has a 4 barrel on his and his runs pretty good you could send him a message.
Hope this helps,
Spencer :old_glory: :rebel: :thumbleft:
I had a two barrel rodchester on there, ran it for the last 2years. I just put the edelbrock on same results (may idle better because its new carb). The long and the short of it, is a 600 is more carb that is needed , but I was told that you can tune it and hopefully we can pick up some rpms on the top end. Maybe

ddriver
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ddriver »

i have 350 dd on 14 rivermaster. ran 750 eldo for several years. it always ran just a little rich but not to bad. in autozone a while back and saw 600 eldo for good price. it no longer runs rich and idles good out of the box. is it to much carb for it i dont know but i am happy with it so for my boat i guess it is just right.

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Birddog247 »

670 Holley tuned by s&s performance carburetor. Money we'll spent. Haven't looked back since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Birddog247 wrote:670 Holley tuned by s&s performance carburetor. Money we'll spent. Haven't looked back since!
The difference is that he is asking about a DD, and you are running a gearbox; BIG rpm difference.

Yes, a 600 is to big for a 350 DD to be optimal.

It could be tuned to run acceptably, but that is way more than is required at DD rpms,
and will use more gas to make less power than one that is properly sized.

There are more than a couple better options. This thread has the info you're after:

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... 1&p=543754
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

I was wrong I am running lean, checked plugs edelbrock suggested part#1455 and a silver spring.

john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

victorg
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by victorg »

I use that rod when I also change the jet size to part number 1426. If Idon't change the jet I use rod number 1449 with the stock jet. Its worred well for me to richen up. Not sure about your area but the Pep Boys by me carries the tune kits. Good luck and please post what works for you.

aggiejim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by aggiejim »

you guys do this the hard way,technology its a wonderful thing eld makes a remote o2 sensor hand held no guessing will tell u just how in measurable incriments rich or lean
16 x 8 floral city ls2 6.0 aluminun block 2.3 ch3
can u say addicted
16.5 x8 alumintech new build
6.0 ls2 2.3 ch3 3 blade
the aggie

Return to “Automotive Power Only”