Smh

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Smh

Post by :) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 pm

So I went out this morning on a gator hunt .. First time I been on the boat in about 2 months prolly. So we put in and within 10 minutes of the ramp I turn and look to see both headers glowing. Well that's a first! Motor temp never got over 175-180 which is normal temp in my boat. Oil pressure was fine all day. What could cause this? Maybe trash in carb got it lean? I don't think it's timing as I have not touched the timing while the boat has been down. I run 93 octane also. It was only turnin 5000 wot but this is a first run with the blades back on the boat so I don't really have a starting point. My motor is 383 sbc I think 9.5:1 aluminum headed blueprint..
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Smh

Post by Deano » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:40 pm

If it were sucking air (vacuum leak), it could make it lean and that could create that symptom.

Maybe not, but likely the easiest thing to check and correct if need be.
I would pretty much check all the plumbing in, on, or connected to the carb and/or intake manifold.

There was just a thread about bad vacuum caps:
http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... 85&t=63202
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:12 pm

Yes Deano and I am running a Holley!! Thank u
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:28 pm

I'm a bit confused here. Wouldn't a timing or vacuum leak or lean carb cause a rise in temperature?

With no rise in temperature could it be an exhaust flange leak?
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 pm

Sounds like some fuel is still burning in the exhaust. Could be rich mixture or retarded timing.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks guys. I had no increase in motor temp but both sides were glowing! Freaked me out at first

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:54 am

Read your plugs looking for signs of rich burn. Best guess. Actually a leaking exhaust flange might cause some popping going on.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:35 pm

That's what I was thinking. Another thing it was doing that was unusual was the run on thing. Maybe double check the timing now that I'm thinking about it. I just don't know what could have changed while I was reworking the boat. Never touched the motor!

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:46 pm

My headers always glowed but I could only notice it @ nighttime. Never had an issue because of it but did notice that my plugs were on the rich side. figured it was better to be a little rich instead of lean.
Attachments
phpwYZ6ecAM.jpg
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:52 pm

That's a really cool picture! thanks for posting it.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Wow Scotty that's crazy. I've never had mine out at night and in fact I think this is the darkest I been out in this particular boat. It was just 30 or so after daylight.

bbboswell
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bbboswell » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:35 pm

:) wrote:Wow Scotty that's crazy. I've never had mine out at night and in fact I think this is the darkest I been out in this particular boat. It was just 30 or so after daylight.
Then you probably just never noticed.

Where was the glow? Up near the heads or down toward the collector?

blow boat
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by blow boat » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:39 am

Haven't logged on in while,man I miss these kind
Of post good stuff. not lean just dark out and there
Hot also don't touch :scratch:

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by nebraskaairboater » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 am

Mine on my Caddy glow at night when I run over 3K rpm. They start glowing at the collector where the flex pipe connects. Not sure if it is a problem or not. Both sides do it and I know of another caddy boat that does the same thing and has since he built it years ago with no trouble yet.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 454 Chevy/ 2.38:1 OX Drive / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

MYDIXIEWRECKED
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by MYDIXIEWRECKED » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:36 am

I have seen the internal shaft of a distributor or two rust up enough to stop the mechanical advance too. The vacuum portion should be locked out anyway on an airboat (IMO and many others). IF retarded timing is the issue and the distributor external housing hasn't moved, that would be another item to check. Especially after sitting. A lot of motors don't get hot enough to cook the moisture out of the oil which could easily get stuff rusting from the excessive water in the engine.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence ON THEIR BEHALF"

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:36 am

Mine was just the header

Return to “Automotive Power Only”