Making Progress

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Making Progress

Postby digginfool » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:17 pm

The engine just arrived. Looks like it's going to be fun installing this thing.
Attachments
20141001_170651_resized_1.jpg
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Making Progress

Postby PAINKILLER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Now comes the fun good luck with her :thumbleft:
Psalms 101:7 No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:15 pm

After reading through the owner's manual, I see engine speed is limited to 5,200 RPM. Looking at the dyno graph, this puts the output of this engine right about where my 8.1 was. Other than losing a couple hundred pounds in weight, I don't expect any great increase in performance. The torque is higher across the board but peak HP is only about 35 HP more. Hopefully, the real plus will be increased fuel efficiency and snappier performance with the higher torque.
Attachments
LSA_dyno.JPG
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby PAINKILLER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:26 pm

Been wondering what the tq curve looked like what prop n gear you going to run
Psalms 101:7 No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:40 pm

2.38 Stinger and 4 blade 82" NGR. That's what I was running with the BBC.

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DynaMarine » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 pm

You SHOULD be able to get that rev limiter changed. It'll "wake up" turning that thing a couple hundred rpm more. I've turned them 6000+ and that motor is a whole different animal when you tap into it.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they set the max RPM so low to make the 3 year parts and labor warranty viable.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 pm

keep us posted looks like you be hitting 500 hp at that rpm range, kind waste of blower JMO so lets us know how it works, I agree with Shane I ran my LS Waterthunder at 6000 and my Mast like the snap did give up a little crusie rpm but picked up top end so play around with settings and use stop watch and GPS your mind can play tricks but known distance and stop watch give ya good data

I think it to do with prop rpm but I not expert on all that but 5200/2.3 = 2260 at prop 6000/2.5 (mine) = 2380 so you should be good the broad torque range will be a plus that shows up in fuel mileage well at least mine was
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Man that torque curve is freakin sexy!
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DynaMarine » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:06 pm

Yep what bigun said, that motor really like 5400-5600rpm and with that 82" 4-blade and 2.38 you won't see a noticeable change in cruise. At least I didn't.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ls1airboat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:12 am

a wise man once said ..try at at 5200 and see what it does..you can always change it later..my old detonator is still going strong with 4 people in the boat and anywhere i wanna go and still back pedaling.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:05 am

Very impressive, best of luck with your new powerhouse!

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:43 am

Ls torque curves are allways sexy here is a 550 HP non supercharged 416 CI motor, Dave was right years ago about these motors. 3 year warranty is cool what company is it? I think you like it you will have to tune the hull as most builders set them up different when going from iron block to LS well GTO did anyway back on my first one, now the LS is the standard for Diamondback so I am sure they can tell you basic setup, call Tommy or Scooter at DB

Bigun

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:34 am

I thought real hard about the Mast Cyclone. It was only slightly more than what I paid for the LSA and had a forged rotating assembly. But, with that build, my future options are somewhat limited. The LSA is a platform that performance can be increased quite easily; pulley and a cam puts you in the 650 HP range for less than $1,000.00 (pulley alone pushes you over 600 HP for around $450.00). Pulley, cam and a stroker kit puts you well over 700 HP, all for less than what the Tornado costs and way less than the Hurricane. Granted, there goes the warranty and you still have to add machine shop costs if you go the stroker route, but I have options with the LSA. As far as who I got the engine from, it came from Marine Power. They provide the 3 year parts & labor warranty for both mechanical and electronics.

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ls1airboat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:04 am

that dyno looks like it falls off after 5200..i dont see no reason to push it anymore than that.it should be a beast between 4000 and 5200..i think you will be amazed at the power under 5200.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:28 pm

The LSA comes factory with a forged crank..doesn't have H beam rods though.

josenovo
Southern Airboat Member

Postby josenovo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:38 pm

If interested I have top and botton pulleys for that thing!

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:54 pm

josenovo wrote:If interested I have top and botton pulleys for that thing!

Holy cow Greg your post has raised the dead. Jose I've been hoping to see your boat running out there every time I ride 3A south. It's the best sounding boat I've ever heard.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:35 pm

digginfool wrote:I thought real hard about the Mast Cyclone. It was only slightly more than what I paid for the LSA and had a forged rotating assembly. But, with that build, my future options are somewhat limited. The LSA is a platform that performance can be increased quite easily; pulley and a cam puts you in the 650 HP range for less than $1,000.00 (pulley alone pushes you over 600 HP for around $450.00). Pulley, cam and a stroker kit puts you well over 700 HP, all for less than what the Tornado costs and way less than the Hurricane. Granted, there goes the warranty and you still have to add machine shop costs if you go the stroker route, but I have options with the LSA. As far as who I got the engine from, it came from Marine Power. They provide the 3 year parts & labor warranty for both mechanical and electronics.

Good stuff, you see why I am running a blower motor :thumbleft: I am sure that all you have to do that is why Mast will not sell one of their 1000 hp car engine for airboat application they do not want to change pulleys and add bigger cam :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Same as Dave does on his stroker motor easy to do heck anyone can due it even Tony480 after 56 phone calls to Dave and buying a block from him, taking to a machine shop to do it like Dave says will last :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: Should be a great 500 Hsp motor for ya be better when you wake it up.
Bigun

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:05 pm

I have no doubt that Mast and Waterthunder are masters at their game. Waterthunder never got in touch with me. I sent Dave a PM asking for advice, no answer. I talked to Mast and was somewhat sold but, as stated above, with 11:1 pistons in the Cyclone and Tornado, future options were limited without re-inventing the engine, or worse, having to buy a $7,000.00 supercharger on top of the re-invention. I'm not in the mood to spend $28,000.00 for the Hurricane on an 11 year-old boat, nor am I inclined to buy a new boat. I bought the LSA because I heard nothing negative about them, it's probably going to be plenty for my purposes, is easy to squeeze extra reliable HP from and if I want to go full on with it, I can while spending less than what I would pay Mast for roughly the same output. To my knowledge, Waterthunder doesn't build supercharged engines. I wouldn't know; Waterthunder passed on the opportunity to sell me a motor. However, if they did, you would probably own one. So, as my good friend Paul would have said, 'That's the rest of the story. Good day.' ;)

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:11 pm

HuntingBigun wrote:
digginfool wrote:I thought real hard about the Mast Cyclone. It was only slightly more than what I paid for the LSA and had a forged rotating assembly. But, with that build, my future options are somewhat limited. The LSA is a platform that performance can be increased quite easily; pulley and a cam puts you in the 650 HP range for less than $1,000.00 (pulley alone pushes you over 600 HP for around $450.00). Pulley, cam and a stroker kit puts you well over 700 HP, all for less than what the Tornado costs and way less than the Hurricane. Granted, there goes the warranty and you still have to add machine shop costs if you go the stroker route, but I have options with the LSA. As far as who I got the engine from, it came from Marine Power. They provide the 3 year parts & labor warranty for both mechanical and electronics.

Good stuff, you see why I am running a blower motor :thumbleft: I am sure that all you have to do that is why Mast will not sell one of their 1000 hp car engine for airboat application they do not want to change pulleys and add bigger cam :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Same as Dave does on his stroker motor easy to do heck anyone can due it even Tony480 after 56 phone calls to Dave and buying a block from him, taking to a machine shop to do it like Dave says will last :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: Should be a great 500 Hsp motor for ya be better when you wake it up.

Guess that's where you just pull shit out your ass as usual. Never made a call to Dave. I did all my own research and sent Dave a message and bought a block from him like I said before. I did talk with him when I was down there for a while about various options. But I pretty much had it all mapped out and he just confirmed my intention.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Tony480 wrote:The LSA comes factory with a forged crank..doesn't have H beam rods though.

That's true; it uses powdered metal rods. They are pretty tough but not as strong as forged. Another weak spot is the hypereutectic pistons. That's why if I decided to do something with the motor, I would replace those parts. If I was going to open the bottom end up, then why not take it to a 416? This is all kicking the can around. I plan to use the motor as-is for at least 100 hours. If you knew me, you would know that would only be a few months. :lol:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 pm

Congratulations on your new engine. Looks like you've made an informed choice.

I in no way mean to take anything away from what it is by asking this, but I am curious.
Doesn't anybody else see something odd about this dyno graph? At least that's how it strikes me.

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Deano, I fell for the same illusion on the Ecotec thread. The scales are different for HP and torque. That's why it looks the way it does. I have no clue why they would do it that way. It's not like it's a big block Diesel where HP is around 450 - 500 and torque is up around 2000 lb-ft.

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ls1airboat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:22 pm

yes it makes its hp on the bottom to mid range..just like all the bs about my motor lol..im still turning it 4700 and it does awesome even with 4 people..never had to shake a rudder even up hill...the detonator still runs awesome lol

Return to “Automotive Power Only”