DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Making Progress

Postby digginfool » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:58 am

blackwaterairboats wrote:No Shane he doesn't have a Jw he has the flexplate that comes with the Lsa.

DynaMarine wrote:Still drop the starter and it'd be easy to bolt right up

I'm not sure who makes it but it looks just like the JW wheel. It definitely isn't what would be used in a car. Very heavy duty. Shane, you are correct. That makes all the sense in the world. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks!
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:17 am

I must say, that's a good looking gearbox! :thumbleft: One of the first things I noticed was how silky smooth the gears are when I turned it by hand. Once I got the old box off, just for comparison, I spun it by hand as well. It initially was very smooth then got progressively tighter until very tight, to the point I was pulling pretty hard on the drive plate to turn it. Then, suddenly got easy again. After a couple of pulls on the drive plate, the tightness returned and the process repeated, just to get easy again. Whatever the issue is, it's definitely on the driven gear. I have to imagine that when I blew the engine, tremendous loads must have been put on the gearbox; I was running WOT and it came to a stop in seconds. The inertia of the prop would have been enormous at that point and I could imagine teeth being deformed. So, with that being said, I suspect I was buying a new box sooner or later (probably sooner) regardless of what ratio I was running. I would also imagine that a good amount of power was being lost to the additional friction. We shall see next week!
Attachments
20150327_080201_resized.jpg
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:20 am

Ha Ha . . . There's all those dreadlocks again. :lol: :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:24 am

Deano wrote:Ha Ha . . . There's all those dreadlocks again. :lol: :lol:

Gives the boat that Caribbean character. Ya, mon. Irie, irie. :lol:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:40 am

Maybe ya need a little Bob Marley art on the back of that starboard head. :D
Attachments
dfdlocks.jpg
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby flying fish » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:40 am

digginfool wrote: I've been playing with pitch and I've had some mixed results. When I had it pitched for 5,200 RPM at the Freedom Ride, I managed to hit 59.8 mph, but that was on the skinny water on Lake Cypress. Deep water was around 54 mph with 4 adults. This past weekend, I took a little more pitch out so that I was turning 5,400 RPM. Boat did not like that. Cruise RPMs went way up and top speed dropped to 49 mph running trails in 2A. I spoke with the guys at Sensenich and was told it's more about pitch than propeller speed with the NGR. Those blades run best when pitched between the 2 and 3 mark. With my blades pitched for 5,200 RPM, the blades are right at the 2 mark, just a little above the 2 mark when pitched for 5,100 RPM, just below when pitched for 5,400 RPM.

At some point, you are the answer man. :-)
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby flying fish » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:41 pm

How is the new gear?

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Had a little disaster and won't have any new information for at least a couple weeks.

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Damn , you have a grand wrapped up in wire loom.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:20 pm

digginfool wrote:Had a little disaster and won't have any new information for at least a couple weeks.

What kind of disaster?

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:28 pm

Probably that socket set going thru the prop. :shock: :rebel:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:38 pm

digginfool wrote:Had a little disaster and won't have any new information for at least a couple weeks.

Tony480 wrote:What kind of disaster?

Scarecrow wrote:Probably that socket set going thru the prop. :shock: :rebel:

What he said.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:31 am

digginfool wrote:

Tony480 wrote:What kind of disaster?

Scarecrow wrote:Probably that socket set going thru the prop. :shock: :rebel:

What he said.

Man that sucks.
Broke.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 am

dblj006 wrote: Man that sucks.
Especially, when the other guy just told you he picked everything up. :violent1:
- Carl Sagan

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri May 08, 2015 10:34 am

Okay. So, now that I'm back up and running with the NGRs, the 2.5 box allowed me to add 3 degrees of pitch and 300 RPM sitting on the trailer over the 2.38 (5,400 RPM at 14 degrees pitch vs 5,100 RPM at 11 degrees, measured 4 inches in from tip of winglet). This is what I was hoping for; I got the engine up where it's making some more power, added quite a bit of pitch and prop is turning nearly the same RPM. Can't wait to see what kind of improvements I'll see on the water. Hoping for better cruise RPM, a little more snap and come out of the hole better. We'll see! Also, just made me smile to feel that smoothness over the Powershift. I'm sure the Powershift was the chit when it came out but it just doesn't match the NGR. Science!

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri May 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Found a baseline dyno sheet from Nickey Chevrolet on the Camaro SS, which uses the LSA with very similar numbers in stock configuration to the CTS-V. At 5,400 RPM, the engine is making ~520 HP and ~505 lb-ft torque. At 5,100 RPM, ~495 HP and ~510 lb-ft torque. So, that 300 RPM does make a difference.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Sat May 09, 2015 9:45 am

Finally got the boat on the water with the new box and my NGR. I have to say that this is without a doubt the right setup. I had the opportunity to run the boat light, heavy and through tall cattails and it is a beast. Not only that, but the snap is something I've never had before, even with the BBC. I can cruise deep water at 3,500 RPM, skim the grass at 2,900 RPM and when I stand on the go pedal, it will jump. I'll probably play with pitch a little but not until I run with the GPS so I can get hard numbers on what's happening, as far as cruise speed, top speed, mileage. If anything, I think it could use a little more pitch; maybe 2 more degrees but I don't want to pull the engine down too far. These LS motors seem to like WOT around 5,500. More to come later.

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DynaMarine » Sat May 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Can't hardly go wrong with the 2.5 and strong LS
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri May 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Can I say 'motherf***er' on here? :dontknow: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I know shit happens and I have no doubt the issue is going to be taken care of but I swear; the airboat gods have something against my Diamondback. :lol: :lol: Thank God I have my sled. At least I'll still be sliding for the next couple weeks until my boat's back together. I'm starting to believe the AC guys might be right about us CM boats.

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby flying fish » Fri May 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Dang it man!

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:10 pm

What happened now

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri May 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Tony480 wrote:What happened now

Changed the oil in my gearbox and a bunch of heavy filings and a broken tooth came out. Already talked to the manufacturer and I'm certain they'll stand behind their product but, dammit man! What are the odds?

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Wow! That sucks. How many hours were on it? Hope you get it fixed soon

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Fri May 15, 2015 1:27 pm

Tony480 wrote:Wow! That sucks. How many hours were on it? Hope you get it fixed soon

19-1/2 hours. They said they would jump on it as soon as they get it but between the time to tear it down, pack it up, ship it, repair, return ship and re-install, I'm guessing it's going to be at least two weeks before the barge is running again.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”