Making Progress

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Making Progress

Post by JB550 »

Chances of a bad thermostat are extremely small although not impossible. Diamondback has done probably in the hundreds of these motors. I would call and talk to 1 of the techs. Prob save a lot of time and headache.

Davie GSO480
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Davie GSO480 »

Its still got air in it.....and its getting hot
You can take the lower hose off, put your garden the hose in it, till water comes out of the overflow tank
They are hard to get air all out.....takes me like 10 to 15 starts
Proud member of the Airboat Association of Florida.
A Miami Landmark sense 1951
http://www.aaof.com

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Why wouldn't you want to Duracoat, especially if your blades are easier to clean? Beautiful finish!
Attachments
20150115_172200_resized.jpg
20150115_164054_resized.jpg
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Finally. After nearly 5 months, the barge is back on the water. :cheers: Headed out to 2A tonight and tomorrow, 3A on Sunday. 8)
Attachments
20150116_152342_resized.jpg
20150116_152402_resized.jpg
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

8cyl-sled
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 8cyl-sled »

Cool. Let us know how she runs. I'm down with an oil leak I need to fix. :violent1:
Billy

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Had a nice, long weekend to run the boat. Shook a few bugs out, still need to work on the pitch of the prop. I can only turn 4,800 RPM but I'm wondering if it's the prop holding the motor or if the motor is holding itself back. It seems like it builds RPM very quickly until it suddenly stops. On the other hand, I can cruise at 2,800 at a decent pace but boat is more comfortable at 3,200, which could mean I do have too much pitch. I used to cruise at 3,400 RPM. The biggest difference is the ride. I had to put a trim tab on the boat when it had the BBC because nothing else would stop the porpoise. Never touched the trim tab all weekend; boat ran nice and flat. If anything, it would push over on its nose the couple of times I gave it WOT. Sure did help losing those 300 extra pounds. As far as performance, about the same as the BBC, which was anticipated. The two motors have nearly identical torque even though the new motor makes nearly 80 more hp. So, as they say, torque turns the prop, hp holds it there. Motor only has 6 hours on it and still need to tweak the prop so very premature in making any concrete opinions. I want to put at least another 6 or so before I start putting it through its paces. I will say, though, the boat got plenty of compliments. I love my sled but it sure was nice to be back on the barge. Like stepping from a Corvette to an Escalade, minus the hp. :)

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine »

IMO I'd say its the prop too Gregg. There's no limiter in place that would hold it at 4,800rpm. That motor likes some RPM to so don't be afraid to turn it 5600rpm WOT on the water.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

MILSAR wrote:IMO I'd say its the prop too Gregg. There's no limiter in place that would hold it at 4,800rpm. That motor likes some RPM to so don't be afraid to turn it 5600rpm WOT on the water.
The reason I considered possibly the motor would be if the knock sensors were too sensitive and interpreted the noise from gearbox and/or prop as detonation and responded accordingly. I'm not saying I have noise in my box; it was just rebuilt and only has about 80 hours on it. Just my wheels turning. ;) I feel it's most likely the prop. We'll know soon enough. Tomorrow, I'll take 5 degrees out and see what happens. That should get it spinning.

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by T-REX »

Any updates???

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by wildcard »

another smart airboater that don' t sh&t :rebel: :rebel:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

T-REX wrote:Any updates???
Been running the boat quite a bit. Had an issue yesterday with water in the blades. Must have gotten in while I was washing the boat. I'm thinking the 4 blade prop may be too much for this motor so I'm going to try the NGR blades in a 3 blade Powershift hub I have to see how it performs. Right now, the way it's set up, the boat cruises at 3,200 RPM with a light load. Today, I had 6 adults and one kid on board and cruise went up to 3,900 RPM. Boat was riding on its nose with all the weight. Top speed is 54 MPH at 5,100 RPM. I did start to see better fuel consumption this last tank. It's up to 2.8 mpg (GPS odometer). I'll be posting performance updates on my "3 or 4?" thread so watch for it there.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

As stated on the other thread, I gave up on the 3 blade solution immediately. I could tell just sitting on the trailer not what I was looking for. I've been playing with pitch and I've had some mixed results. When I had it pitched for 5,200 RPM at the Freedom Ride, I managed to hit 59.8 mph, but that was on the skinny water on Lake Cypress. Deep water was around 54 mph with 4 adults. This past weekend, I took a little more pitch out so that I was turning 5,400 RPM. Boat did not like that. Cruise RPMs went way up and top speed dropped to 49 mph running trails in 2A. I spoke with the guys at Sensenich and was told it's more about pitch than propeller speed with the NGR. Those blades run best when pitched between the 2 and 3 mark. With my blades pitched for 5,200 RPM, the blades are right at the 2 mark, just a little above the 2 mark when pitched for 5,100 RPM, just below when pitched for 5,400 RPM. I'm trying to wrap my head around what happens when you change gear ratios. I'm currently running a 2.38 and kicking around the idea of going to a 2.55. That equates to about a 7% increase in peak torque (almost exactly 100 lb-ft) and a corresponding decrease in propeller speed (about 150 RPM) at 5,400 RPM. Is this something that would be noticeable? How much additional pitch can I put into the blades? How will this affect cruise RPM, push and top speed? My boat is a 15x8 DB with oval aluminum tubing for rigging; it is not a light boat. I'd like to hear what recommendations you would offer and experiences you have had.

airboat83
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat83 »

I have a 14x8 heavy db with a 383 and belt drive. I sold my ww prop and went to r series . It is an 80 inch 3 blade ,and with a 2.1 gear i turned 5500 at the 1 pitch mark. I changed to a 2.3 gear and i now have it at 2.5 pitch mark
and turn 5400, and it pushes like crazy it is a night and day difference. Jmo i would look into changing gears.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Here's a picture of my heat exchanger for Smuggler. It is made by Afco.
Attachments
20150305_083510_resized.jpg

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

I ran a 2.3 ratio then a 2.5 ratio same blades same power plant.

Adding the 2.5 ratio to a 550 tq motor I created a monster on the ground.

Same pitch from 4850 went to 5150-5200 on the fly. Same pitch meaning visual appearance. Did not use digital level to verify.Topic engine 500 horse @ 5000 RPM. 550 horse 5500 RPM.
550 tq @ 4900ish RPM. 434cid 23 degree carberated. BAMF 23 degree piece.

Thought fuel consumption seemed same or don't remember exact burn per hour at this point.
Way strong on the ground and gained 5mph +- top speed going 2.5 ratio. Depending on day. This is the best I remember.

Changed to 416 VVT. Allegedly 550 HP & 550 Tq. 2.5 ratio reduction. Same pitch same blade. 6200 RPM static. Added 3/16" pitch to blade and ended up way over pitched governing engine @ 56-5700 on the fly. Could feel air pounding my chest and felt like cavitation issues. JMO-
Cruise RPM well was ok. If I give exact #'s might miss a bit. With big head wind 3800 with big load.

Boat performed very respectable. Cut fuel consumption 4-5 GPH. Went back to 2.3 ratio due to not wanting to add 4th blade.

Dropped RPM going back to 2.3 ratio approx 300 RPM across the board. Decreased pitch to exactly optimum pitch. Governed 5250-5300 on the fly. No guarantees, but fuel consumtion I feel went up (possibly) 1 GPH. No hard facts here. Sure did not get better economy and I think this due to engine load.

Not sure whether I should have gone with a 4 blade and stayed with the 2.5 ratio or not?
Engine sure sounded happier running the 2.5 ratio.

Theory has it that engine longetivity should be increased holding down RPM. Maybe the flipside of this is added engine load with less ratio and holding down RPM is even worse? I do not know.

I do know engines in the field running max load tend to not last as long as engines with a bit less load.
Especially the valve train. Still talking load 85%+ @ light load.

For me, there are (2) setups that I find interesting or would like to try using that engine.
One a 2.7 Ratio and the other a 2.9 ratio. Both using (3) Long S blades. Just me. :)

Again, sure interested in your results changing gears.
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

2.55 Ballistic on the way. Thanks, Shane!

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

It's here!
Attachments
20150325_111222_resized.jpg

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

Could have used that yesterday
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

DDSBC wrote:Could have used that yesterday
You must have been talking to Jason. :lol: My boat with the 2.38 was struggling to get his boat down the trail. I'm hoping the 2.55 will get the job done.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Are you sure it's a 2.55? They call there's 2.5,2.6,2.7....could be anywhere in between. ...js

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

Tony480 wrote:Are you sure it's a 2.55? They call there's 2.5,2.6,2.7....could be anywhere in between. ...js
:roll: :roll:

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

How long does it take a Civil Engineer to install a Gear Drive?

Suppose you think you have a real job?? :bounce:
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Hung the box this afternoon but have to take it off again before completing the installation (there isn't enough room to put the bolts in; flywheel has to come off). I'll have it together next week. Going fishing this weekend.

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TheElevatorGuy »

That was an awesome idea for your avitar.......I bet a real smart guy gave you that idea!!!

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine »

digginfool wrote:Hung the box this afternoon but have to take it off again before completing the installation (there isn't enough room to put the bolts in; flywheel has to come off). I'll have it together next week. Going fishing this weekend.
You have the JW Wheel Greg? Drop the starter and put the bolts in through there, pretty much the easiest way to do it. NO need to take it back off.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Return to “Automotive Power Only”