Best oil for LS3 engine ?

Postby 462kwells » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:02 pm

What is the best oil and filter should I use on a new LS3 first oil change

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Best oil for LS3 engine ?

Postby Whitebear » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:01 pm

I moved this over here from "Site Related" topic.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Blackcoffee
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Blackcoffee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:47 pm

I use Vavoline VR-1 20/50 and a WIX 57060. I get the filter at Carquest.
GTO 14' Deckover

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:03 pm

I run the Mobil1 10w-30 and a quart of synthetic Lucas oil stabilizer in my LS3 Camaro. It calls for a 5w-30 but I go a little heavier in the Florida heat.

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Dont run 20/50!!!!!!!! If I run synthetic I would run 10W/30 Mobil 1, If I run conventional I run 15W/40 Rottela! The only premature wear I ever see in a LS motor is in the cam bearings so I started adding the Lucas engine break in additive this has Zinc to protect against premature wear! Even with Mobil 1 I do see cam bearing wear around 900 to 1000 hours of use!
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Here is what MAST says and Dave hit it right, I am curouis Dave why not 20/50 VR1 racing oil that was MAST had me run?

Oil Requirements
Motor oil has had several significant changes in the last ten years. In 2004, a decision was made to reduce
the sulfur and the zinc-phosphorus compounds (ZDDP). The ZDDP is used as the primary anti-wear agent
for internal engine components. Beginning with the 2004 model of new vehicles, the Federal Government
has asked auto manufacturers to warranty catalytic converters for 120,000-miles. Most catalytic converters
eventually fail from harmful gases emitted thru the exhaust, and two of these are the phosphorous and
sulfur which were a prevalent make-up of our older motor oils. All engines will consume some oil thru the
exhaust! While in most cases this is only a very small amount, the automakers decided it was time to
change the chemistry of motor oil rather than adding to the cost of catalytic converters. This change in
engine oil has had a significant impact on the performance engine world, specifically engines with forged
pistons and/or flat tappet camshafts. The lack of the zinc phosphorus compounds has been a primary cause
of premature failure in flat tappet camshafts and lifters. Current oils for gasoline engines have the ZDDP
compounds reduced by 20% or more. We have seen an overwhelming increase in piston scuff and
premature ring wear. We have torn down performance engines with less than 1500-miles and seen piston
scuff and ring wear that looked as if the engine had 100,000-miles! This caused by super low viscosity oils
with poor anti-wear characteristics and a lack of following proper break-in procedures. We have taken
every precaution to coat the cylinder walls, pistons, and rings with an anti-wear agent. However, it is
imperative that you choose engine oil with a significant amount of ZDDP. For Mast Motorsports Typhoon
and Cyclone engines, we suggest an engine oil with a minimum ZDDP content of the following:
Approximate Percentage by Weight
Zinc – 0.120, Phosphorus – 0.115
Suggested Oils:
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 20W-50 (normal ambient operating temperatures above 32°F)
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 10W-30 (normal ambient operating temperatures below 32°F)
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com/index.html

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GeeLeDouche » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:58 am

It says on my Waterthunder LS to only use Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w-30 so that's what I run.. :)
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

The Dickens
Southern Airboat Member

Postby The Dickens » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 am

Depends on the build. If you use aftermarket radius cut components and set up loose clearances you could run a thicker oil. Stock motors are square and tight. Aftermarket radius parts should never be that loose either in non-race motors. Always use one weight thinner when going from conventional to synthetic and one weight heavier going from synthetic to conventional.
You're better of lucky than good. Because no matter how good you are, until you get lucky, you're just playing with yourself. -The Dickens

http://www.waterthunder.com

Return to “Automotive Power Only”