Interested in joining the ECOTEC family... Where to begin?

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Interested in joining the ECOTEC family... Where to begin?

Post by strokin05ct » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:09 am

As stated in the title, I find myself becoming more and more interested in these GM ecotec setups. They seem to be reliable, efficient, and to my standards BadA** :cheers: ! So with that said, I currently have a 2006 Light Hamant hull with a 520 A/c on it. I think the boat can handle the motor and power. Its a great hull, sturdy and rides great. Is there someone who is the brains behind this ECOTEC operation? Someone who can point me in the right direction with 1. finding a motor 2. how to set it up 3. give me a price range?

If I wanted to run the 2.0 T ecotec on my current set up, after motor, prop, and gearing what would I be looking at PRICEWISE $$$. My 520 is currently in need of a rebuild soon anyways, so depending on how much more this new, Insanely cool ecotec set up would be, I may just send that 520 packing...

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions on the topic. Negative opinions are also welcome as I want to hear from not just ecotec enthusiasts but the guys who also may think this is a bad idea... :?:
Cody
----------------------------
"she gone!"
GM 2.0 LHU Turbo Ecotec, stock engine, 78" whisper ex 3 blade
06 Hamant 13'

REAL 7.3
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Interested in joining the ECOTEC family... Where to begi

Post by REAL 7.3 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:15 am

Call Chuck at airboat pros
11' Gillieo PE90

justin m
Southern Airboat Member

Post by justin m » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:31 am

Everything i've heard and read about them, they seem to be a pretty good set up. Goodluck!

PS. If you send that 520 packing, then PM me and i'll take it off your hands.
A/V 540 on a 13ft Navigator hull, swingin a 72" 2 blade WW signature series. Go boat, not a show boat.

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 am

I have a package for you. 2.4L 350hp turbo ecotec ballistic direct fit gearbox and 3 blade 74" sensenich prop. 14500 motor has a one year warranty call me with any more questions you have.
if u don't run dry .then should have gotten a bassboat
tons videos on YouTube ptr34

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by JT540 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:25 am

eco tech so I guess you aint coming out to the shop. lol
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 pm

ptr34 wrote:I have a package for you. 2.4L 350hp turbo ecotec ballistic direct fit gearbox and 3 blade 74" sensenich prop. 14500 motor has a one year warranty call me with any more questions you have.
Is that your motor Terry, or just one of the packages you guys are offering?

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:30 pm

That is a package we are sellinf but it will look just like my motor. Same setup

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:32 pm

You may want to talk to Dave Simpson. I know he has been tinkering with them for a while now. I talked to him a couple months ago, and he was very happy with his setup, and very optimistic with the future possibilities for them.

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:35 pm

We dont do the 2.0L motors. 2.4L makes more power with less boost and have a warranty. Not just a motor out a car with a car tune. Plus the 2.4L motor are 100% tunable.

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Post by strokin05ct » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:56 pm

It has to be able to be done much cheaper than 14k$ or am I crazy?. Motor can be pulled straight from the yard... harness, fuel pump, etc... gearbox and prop? I really don't know so this is a serious question.
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Gearbox is 3000 prop is 3000. Motor is 8500..
u can pull a motor and get it to run after u buy a wiring harness kit and get a custom tune. Need a bigger turbo to get over 300hp

Wacahoota
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wacahoota » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:12 pm

I am no expert on ecotechs, but I do know I can buy a lot of motor for $8500, and make a lot more than 350 hp.

A 500 horse 383 runs about 6K, crate with a warranty. A waterthunder iron block is 8K last time I priced it.

I understand they are apples and oranges and that fuel consumption is different. Just think that's a lot of money to start hassling with turbos and tuning, instead of a carb.

I like the price of the box and prop though.

Does your $14500 include install and tune?

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Tuned no install.. but that 383 nit going to fit where the ac motor was and weight alot more.

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Our 2.0L engines are low mileage and most of Alfa Fabs are to. Our Tune is not a car tune. It is a custom built standalone Tune and it want work in your car. We pick up 20 to 50 more HP than the car tune depending on which engine and ECM we are using.
Does the 14500.00 include the SS engine stand, fuel tank & pump, complete cooling system, console with gauges, and the complete exhaust system?
Thanks, Chuck

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Just call waterthunder and buy his 500 hp iron block Ls package it come with an OX Box and a sensenich 3 blade prop.
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:48 pm

I think if they were cheaper the Ecotec's would sell well as a less expensive option to the LS. But for that kind of money you're getting into LS territory and they're basically competing against each other. I just don't see the Ecotec as the better option at that price point.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Anybody that would expect somebody to pay $14,500 for a junk yard motor, a gearbox, and a prop is pissin' in the wind if they
ever think I'd pay that. Sorry Terry ..... ya'll might be makin' some good money on those packages, and if you are good for you,
but they're not for me. I can build a whole boat that will runs years longer, will be easier to maintain and not need a GM tech
to tune it, and put it on a trailer for a lot less than that.

IMHO, the next revolution in airboating will be to get back to reliable, simple to tune and maintain boats that don't require a 2nd.
motgage on your home to own and run. High tech is cool but it's a time bomb waiting to happen. I know a guy who has 25 yrs.
on an 0480 that has never had a head off. An EcoTec will never touch that.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

eskimoboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by eskimoboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:34 pm

I think this is a good enough reason to want one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nBoqO_6aUc

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by JT540 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 pm

I never want to be in the trails when hes around!
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:49 pm

Olf Art wrote:Anybody that would expect somebody to pay $14,500 for a junk yard motor, a gearbox, and a prop is pissin' in the wind if they
ever think I'd pay that. Sorry Terry ..... ya'll might be makin' some good money on those packages, and if you are good for you,
but they're not for me. I can build a whole boat that will runs years longer, will be easier to maintain and not need a GM tech
to tune it, and put it on a trailer for a lot less than that.

IMHO, the next revolution in airboating will be to get back to reliable, simple to tune and maintain boats that don't require a 2nd.
motgage on your home to own and run. High tech is cool but it's a time bomb waiting to happen. I know a guy who has 25 yrs.
on an 0480 that has never had a head off. An EcoTec will never touch that.

Every aircraft motor is a junkyard motor and you will pay 14 thousand for a angle valve 540 plus another 3 grand for the prop. My 2.0 turbo was brand new. Cost me 2500.00. Now it takes time and money to set it up and I probably do have 14000 in my total motor gear box and prop package but....now that it's done if I blow a motor it will only cost 2500 for another BRAND NEW motor. How much is a 540 jug these days. Just saying. Now these may not be for everybody ( no 1 airboat is ) but I love mine. It has mor snap Tha a 540 and definately runs dry better. Where I used to use 30 gallons of avgas I now use about 10 gallons of pump gas.

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Post by strokin05ct » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:00 pm

bingo
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

eskimoboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by eskimoboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Up here in the Great White North that's like $210.00 in fuel burn with the 540 compared to $70.00 for the 2.0T, I definitely know what I'm sold on.

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 pm

eskimoboy wrote:Up here in the Great White North that's like $210.00 in fuel burn with the 540 compared to $70.00 for the 2.0T, I definitely know what I'm sold on.
What is really impressive for those that have great distance to travel like you do in Alaska is that if you keep your foot out of the turbo you can get 8 plus miles per gallon. So a 30 gallon tank takes you 240 miles. The longest ride I have made yet was 85 miles and a few of those were running either dry or semi dry. I burned 12 gallons.

eskimoboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by eskimoboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:29 pm

Hey JB550 keep them videos coming cause it's really hard finding a lot of these eco builds on video. Chuck is helping me with a 2.4l ECOBEAST that's gonna melt a lot of snow.

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 pm

I'm going to jump in here and help Terry out for a second, hopefully clarify a few things as well as bring it back to an apples to apples comparison for arguments sake. First lets list out some "package" options.

Stage I Airboat Engine - (215hp)

AFI 2.4 Ecotec [early style w/ forged rods] VVT Engine w/ all needed sensors, Exhaust manifold w/ O2 Sensor, USED crate engine equivalent, bench tested, race prepped, cleaned, assembled, and AFI QC
Intake manifold & Throttle Body
Fuel rail & injectors
AFI Billet Adapter Plate & Flywheel [8" or 9"]
AFI Engine Harness, ECM, & Performance Airboat Tune
AFI DBW Pedal
AFI Intake Air Temp. Sensor [needed for harness]
AFI Billet water neck block off
AFI Billet -6AN fuel rail adapter
AFI Billet Oil Pressure relocation kit
GM 140 AMP Alternator
Gates Micro-V Serpentine Belt
AFI Long-Tube Exhaust Header
AFI EFI Fuel pump [supports 65 PSI]
Billet EFI Regulator, Pre- and Post- Filters
All parts & accessories installed!

Stage II Airboat Engine - (350hp)

AFI 2.4 Ecotec [early style w/ forged rods] VVT Engine w/ all needed sensors, AFI ceramic coated turbo exhaust manifold w/ O2 sensor, custom stainless 2.5" dump, USED crate engine equivalent, bench tested, race prepped, cleaned, assembled, and AFI QC
AFI Stand-Alone Harness & OE ECM System, OBD2 compliant, configured for electronic drive by wire throttle
AFI Billet -6AN Fuel rail adapter
AFI DBW Pedal
AFI MAF Sensor
Bosch 044 Fuel Pump w/Fittings
AFI Stage II Turbo kit: Includes AFI turbo manifold [ceramic coated], GT28 Series Ball-Bearing turbo w/ v-band 2.5" exhaust, Tial 38mm external wastegate w/ stainless dump, ALL needed oil fittings, lines, and gaskets, ALL needed oil drain fittings, lines, gaskets, and oil pan modification, ALL needed water feed and drain fittings, lines, and adapters, Siemens 60# injectors, GM 2-BAR MAP Sensor, AFI Top Mount Air to Air Intercooler option w/ all piping, painted mount, silicone couplers, and Tial 50MM blow off valve, high flow air filter, AFI ECM STAGE II tuning, and all nuts, bolts, gaskets, etc.

Stage III Airboat - (425hp)

AFI 2.4 Ecotec [early style w/ forged rods] VVT Engine w/ all needed sensors, AFI ceramic coated turbo exhaust manifold w/ O2 sensor, custom stainless 3" dump, USED crate engine equivalent, bench tested, race prepped, cleaned, assembled, and AFI QC
AFI Stand-Alone Harness & OE ECM System, OBD2 compliant, configured for electronic drive by wire throttle
AFI Billet -6AN Fuel rail adapter
AFI DBW Pedal
AFI MAF Sensor
Bosch 044 Fuel Pump w/Fittings
AFI Stage III Turbo kit: Includes AFI turbo manifold [ceramic coated], GT30 Series Ball-Bearing turbo w/ v-band 3" exhaust, Tial 38mm external wastegate w/ stainless dump, ALL needed oil fittings, lines, and gaskets, ALL needed oil drain fittings, lines, gaskets, and oil pan modification, ALL needed water feed and drain fittings, lines, and adapters, Bosch 72# injectors, GM 3-BAR MAP Sensor, AFI Top Mount Air to Air Intercooler option w/ all piping, painted mount, silicone couplers, and Tial 50MM blow off valve, high flow air filter, AFI ECM STAGE III tuning, and all nuts, bolts, gaskets, etc.

Now if you spend a little time to actually go through the components used and included in each engine package it should be easy to understand the cost. Are there cheaper options out there? Absolutely. I'm going to venture to say you won't find many GT28 and GT30 Ball Bearing turbos, Tial wastegates, ceramic coated headers w/ v-band connections or billet water and fuel connections on any salvage motor. Not saying there is anything wrong with a DIY salvage motor setup, but you honestly can't compare that to a turnkey engine package like I've listed above.

Here's a few pics of a 425hp AFI Ecotec we're putting on a ride boat. With install manual and everything you need, there's no running around for parts at your local parts store or salvage yard. Just hook up power, fuel and water and let it rip.

Now talking about packages, add a Ballistic Billet Direct-fit gearbox and a Sensenich NGQ prop and you've got a re-power option that will drop in approximately the same space as a 540 or similar 6-cyl aircraft setup occupies....just less weight. The packages aren't meant to be compared to a DIY package, it's just not apples to apples cost wise given the parts used in each.

Now comparing prices. Some of you want to go down the LS comparison, and don't get me wrong...love me some LS motors. Again, not quite the same. What's a new 300hp 540 cost? $12,500? Maybe little more, little less? Add a prop, where are we at...$14,500ish? Fuel system for that 540? Oil cooler? All cost $$$

Now that $14,500 doesn't seem so outrageous for a turnkey 450hp Ecotec with billet gearbox and prop.

Here's a few packages to consider:

Stage I (210hp) 2.4 NA LE5 Ecotec with Ballistic 2.3 and 2-Blade Sensenich 74" NGQ shipped: $9,985.00
Stage II (350hp) 2.4 Turbocharged LE5 Ecotec with Ballistic 2.3 and 3-Blade Sensenich 74" NGQ shipped: $13,375.00
Stage III (425hp) 2.4 Turbocharged LE5 Ecotec with Ballistic 2.3 and 3-Blade Sensenich 74" NGQ shipped: $14,500.00

Comparing that to a couple similar horsepower LS package I have...which are about 200-275# heavier than the 280# Ecotec.

400hp Iron block 5.3L with Ballistic Gearbox and 3-blade Sensenich 80" R shipped: $13,250.00
450hp Aluminum block 5.7L LS1/6 with Ballistic Gearbox and 3-blade Sensenich 80" R shipped: $14,775.00

At the end of the day, there's more than one way to skin a cat, or an ass for every seat, and in this case...a motor package for different budgets, applications and performance requirements.
Attachments
IMG_2620.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG
Last edited by DynaMarine on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Return to “Automotive Power Only”