Info for Ecotec DIY'ers

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Info for Ecotec DIY'ers

Post by gator7272 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:12 am

In reference to locating good Ecotecs, I've gotten a lot of free help from Chuck, been asked by a couple of other folks, so I decided to post the following, hope it helps. Keep in mind, the following is in the event you want to run a stock set-up right out of the vehicle.

First, follow this link and see what they come in to start your search, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine#2.0_2 I would go with the Gen III, for the money, you might as well go with the newest you can find.

Then follow this link to see what's available: http://www.car-part.com/press.htm

To broaden your search, find a local salvage dealer and give them a list of cars to search for.

Your going to want the following out of the vehicle: Engine to include the complete intake system, exhaust to the Cat Converter, complete wiring harness to include the ECM and OBD connector, throttle pedal, fuel lines, Fuel tank (with in-tank fuel pump), fuel pressure sensor, fuel temp sensor (on E-85 compatible models).

Chuck @ Airboat Pros advised me on where to have the wires cut when removing from the car, however, the yard I'm getting mine from is removing the harness completely as installed by the factory.

I can't quote the price I paid due to the fact the cost of the vehicle is going to vary. Mine came out of a rollover (not many useable body parts for the salvage dealer), which equated to a cheaper bid for him and a better price for me. You can plan on between $2500 and $3500.

This should be pretty complete, but I may be missing something. Share what you know. Tony480, shake your head all you want. :wave:
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
2.38:1 Ballistic
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Info for Ecotec DIY'ers

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for taking the time to post!

dak10
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dak10 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:05 pm

ok sound like u got everything u need other then extra wire but u should b ok cuz u should have extra wire in the harness u can use a fuse box get with chuck on the fuse box he has a very nice sealed box he can get u
new rivermaster by marty bray,12 x 7.6, stainless rig with pancake cage,2011 chevy cruze 1.4L turbo LUJ,gm ecm controlled, cat converter with evap system, 2:1 drive by century drives,water walker 3 blade cypress 68 in,1/4" gpx polymer

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Great information, thanks for posting. As far as the stock fuel tank goes are you going to use it or do you only need it for the fuel pump?

Also I assume you're not going to run a cat? How does not running a cat effect the engine noise?

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Post by gyrocopter582 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Gator, an outstanding post Sir, good info, and it agrees with my thinking of the salvage yard construction of an ECOtec powered boat. The way I see it, a normally aspirated ECO with a gearbox,
is an ultra reliable replacement for an O-320 / O-360. The Mack daddy turbo ECO with a gearbox, is an ultra reliable replacement for an O-540.
"Amaze your friends, annoy your neighbors"

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Post by gyrocopter582 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:50 pm

I had spare time at lunch today, so I decided to start my old junkyard dog and let her run a bit.
Battery switch 'on', 'ignition' on, touched the starter button, two blades and it was purring like
a tomcat in a creamery. Engine dry as a powder keg, running MobilOne, never add a drop.
Changed it once in 80 hours. Runs at 180 degrees all day no matter how hard I torture it.

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Post by strokin05ct » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:37 pm

You say you need the (intank fuel pump). I have heard this is preferred but a normal pump can be used long as the hpfp is getting the pressure you need? I don't know about this but am trying to learn. Also, the throttle on these motors is controlled by a electronic tps sensor? Does this mean throttle pedal has to be out of the car?
Beginning my build this week. Ordering engine and harness/ecm through AlphaFab due to the fact that they seem to be a great company to work with and have been very helpful thus far. Shaun says they stand behind all of their products as well and have all in house tuning. Just seems to be the best option for a DIY builder.
Any comments or criticism is appreciated. That's how I learn!
Cody
----------------------------
"she gone!"
GM 2.0 LHU Turbo Ecotec, stock engine, 78" whisper ex 3 blade
06 Hamant 13'

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gyrocopter582 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Cody, if you have an ECO with an electronic throttle, you need the pedal from the donor car.
The pedal controls the throttle, and the "TPS" sensor. The sensor reads the throttle shaft position,
all that stuff is incorporated in the throttle body assembly, just plug in the connectors.
Mine was a "bastard" year, and I ended up using a mechanical throttle body, controlled by a cable.

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gyrocopter582 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Regarding the fuel pump, I used the in-tank pump assembly from a Cobalt.
The mounting flange, and the metal lock ring, were attached to my 40 year old galvanized Combee
fuel tank, after I cut a nice big hole with an air 'jig' saw. I 'bedded' both pieces onto the tank with
'Pro-Seal' aircraft fuel tank sealant. Then I painted over everything with Acryglo gloss black.

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:59 pm

The alpha fab kits come with DBW pedal, they also sell (separate) the external fuel pump that they have tested and recommend, and you can use the aluminum 2 core radiator from jeep Cherokee.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Post by strokin05ct » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Yea, talking to Alpha I have learned about the radiator. They said any dual core radiator would work that's a decent size. Also the walbro 155 is the inline fuel pump they suggest. Id like some input on radiators used by others already running the ecotec as well as intercooler.?. :?: Motor should be at the door next week and Im trying to get all my ducks in a row before hand.

Speaking of ducks, anyone going for opening weekend DUCKS? If so GOODLUCK and have FUN!

Thanks,
Cody
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 pm

cody let me know when ur ready for a gearbox and prop
if u don't run dry .then should have gotten a bassboat
tons videos on YouTube ptr34

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Post by strokin05ct » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm ready now. Im going to try and go for the 3 blade Maximus for prop. Seems to be the prop of choice for the 2.0 turbo. As far as box, I'm so lost, idk what route to take...? Who has direct fit to the Ecotecs now?
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:54 pm

We do 2.38 direct fit. Let me know on prop too. I have a 3 blade NGQ. That is awesome on it too I have one we can test to see if u like it. To me its more like a ac motor with ngq vs cm with max. Just more sporty than max. But max has better bottom end. But its also a superwide compared to a wide blade.
Attachments
3261226_IMG_1462.jpg.jpeg

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Which 2.0 is it

gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gator7272 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Huffduf41 wrote:Great information, thanks for posting. As far as the stock fuel tank goes are you going to use it or do you only need it for the fuel pump?

Also I assume you're not going to run a cat? How does not running a cat effect the engine noise?
I plan on it, I want to run it just the way it came out of the car for reliability, I'm not looking to increase the horsepower as this is replacing a 0-320 on a 12x7 Alumitech, should be way more than enough stock........
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Post by strokin05ct » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:21 pm

ptr34 wrote:We do 2.38 direct fit. Let me know on prop too. I have a 3 blade NGQ. That is awesome on it too I have one we can test to see if u like it. To me its more like a ac motor with ngq vs cm with max. Just more sporty than max. But max has better bottom end. But its also a superwide compared to a wide blade.
Terry, what box is that in the picture? I am all about the bottom end, not worried about breaking land speed records or anything as much as I am pushing 4 people my dog and my cooler full of beer across the green, over the trees, and up the hills. If I get a prop that does that, IM WINNING IMO :cheers: 8)
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Thats new direct fit ballistic

gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gator7272 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:58 pm

Bam !
Attachments
20141121_161217.jpg
20141121_160955.jpg
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:20 pm

That is the exact same motor I have on my boat. Came out of 2013 ss Malibu. 259 horsepower stock. It's a ltg 2.0 turbo. Great motor you will love it.

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Any update on the build?

Return to “Automotive Power Only”