Rotator gear boxes

Post by Cmcintosh721 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:45 am

Are the new rotators as loud as the older ones

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Rotator gear boxes

Post by scottyroll » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Mine was built in 2012 and all I hear while running is the harmonics in the composite Superwide prop I run. Some people run different oils than the manufacture recommends and have claimed that it quiet's it down and free's up power with out harming the box.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by dodobird » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:24 pm

They sound the same to me :florida:
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

Cmcintosh721
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cmcintosh721 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:29 pm

What gearbox are people running now I really don't wan the noise of the rotators

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:33 pm

ballistic and ox-box are gaining popularity. Plenty of satisfied customers.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Cmcintosh721 wrote:What gearbox are people running now I really don't wan the noise of the rotators

I have had stinger , rotator and an OX box . I believe the ox is the best box on the market. They have had no failures . Brian and Candi are first class people. I never had a problem with stinger or rotator other than the noise. Give Brian with Ox Drive a call at 863 581 9710.
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

simpleman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by simpleman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:51 am

Ive owned a rotator a stinger and a ox box and two ballistic boxes and hands down i like the ballistic box the best, and building another boat now and going with a 2.7 ballistic again.Two of my old boats are still running the rotator 2.68 boxes and have had no problems but very noisy under 1100 rpms,but both guys are saving up to put ballistics on there boat,if anyone is interested those rotators will be for sale soon for a great price,and also have a friend with a brand new ox box 2.68 for sale for $3000 ran only once to start his motor but took it off to put a ballistic box on his show boat. Alls i can tell you as a CUSTOMER is that the owner at ballistic gear drives is hands down one of the best customer service you could ever deal with.At the end of the day they are all good ,theres a seat for every ass. :old_glory:

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:15 am

Helms I am not gonna get in a pissing match with you but it's obvious you ppm ppm for whoever gives you the biggest discount . Do you remember the conversation on the phone that me and you had when shane sent you your first ballistic and you said that you were only gonna run it to pacify shane ? Do you also remember telling me that you were thinking about drain the oil out of that same box and then telling them that it failed ??? Do you remember that you wouldn't sell me your generation 1 ox box because you liked it so much ??? And how many new generation ox boxes do you see forsale and how many used ? So helms you wanted to stir the pot you got it buddy.

Airjack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Airjack » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:17 am

Had a Rotator narrow gear for 12 years and broke it only because of too much HP. It was a great box but now I run a Ballistic to handle the power. They look great also.
Attachments
IMG_203963630561151.jpeg
Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
fast is the other half.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:31 am

helms24 wrote:
getchasumairboats wrote:
Cmcintosh721 wrote:What gearbox are people running now I really don't wan the noise of the rotators

I have had stinger , rotator and an OX box . I believe the ox is the best box on the market. They have had no failures . Brian and Candi are first class people. I never had a problem with stinger or rotator other than the noise. Give Brian with Ox Drive a call at 863 581 9710.
No failures at all.... Are you shure about that? :fishing I have owned the Rotator and the OX and I am putting a new Ballistic on my new boat also...Ballistic has over 200 boxes sold and good customer service and boxes on the shelf to ship... Still some of the fastest boats run Ballistic for a reason :thumbleft:
No gen2 Ox drive has ever failed. Take it to the bank! And the fast boats run em because they were free. Do we really need to go through this again?
A Gen1 and Gen2 ox are not the same.

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:46 pm

So are you saying that I am lie in ? I am sure you don't remember telling me at the dry ground races that your ballistic was ( Ok just noisy ) ???? And you have told others about possibly draining oil out of a box. Don't get mad just because the truth comes out on your fence jumping ass.

Gobigred1
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Gobigred1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:57 pm

I think I just hurt myself laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:
15x8 Hamant, OX Box 2.68,Waterthunder RHS 490 EFI, Sensenich 4 blade R

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Bullshit you had that conversation with me on the phone and we spoke at the lake.

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Cmcintosh I am sorry this thread got so far off track but this has been coming for awhile. Again I apologize.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:44 pm

helms24 wrote:Tell us what's different...
Call 863-581-9710 and talk to Brian. He will talk to you about it.

Cmcintosh721
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cmcintosh721 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Don't apologize to me I find this whole conversation entertaining

Hamant Airboats
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Hamant Airboats » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:51 pm

Hands Down The Gen.2 OX Box Is The Strongest And Quietest Box Out on the Market Today Give Brian A Call At OX Drives
Hamant Airboats
321-259-6998
800-840-6998
http://www.hamantboats.com
airboatsbyhamant@yahoo.com

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Rotator gear boxes

Post by DynaMarine » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:39 am

Hamant Airboats wrote:Hands Down The Gen.2 OX Box Is The Strongest And Quietest Box Out on the Market Today Give Brian A Call At OX Drives
I've got to ask the question...just how can one make a claim of being the "strongest"...is there any data on what each box is rated to?

There's been rotators, stingers, Ox and Ballistic all on high horsepower race boats without failure...so how do you determine which one is stronger??

I could be wrong but Andy Matthews and his Nitro Express boat the only one that I'm aware of that broke any boxes

I think all the gearboxes are rated far beyond the HP that the average ride boat would put to it, then again I could be wrong
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Hamant Airboats
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Hamant Airboats » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:15 am

There are very few race boats that put more then 5hrs or 10hrs for that matter on their box's before they try something new. It would be hard to judge that fact using a race boat as an example.

Marsh boats are extremely harder on a box than a race boat due to constant strain, changes in acceleration and deceleration, and 360's plus they have many many hours on the boats compared to a race boat.

There is no data rating boxes other than HP ratings (do you collect any?) but I can make a claim due to my 20 years experience in airboat building. Brian at Ox box has had no Gen 2 boxes come back to him broken while every other box company has. However we put Stinger, Rotator, and Ox boxes on boats all with good outcomes. Since gen 2 Ox boxes have come out (not gen 1) there have been no failures up to this point with 99 boxes completed. Can any other box company state that?
Hamant Airboats
321-259-6998
800-840-6998
http://www.hamantboats.com
airboatsbyhamant@yahoo.com

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:34 am

Yeah I'd tend to agree with you on that. Race boats don't have the constant loading and unloading a ride boat sees. Definitely more variables and stress factors in a ride boat application that race.

What I meant by strength is what you said, HP. I think all the boxes are rated well beyond what a ride boat would put to it, so it's really hard to back up a statement regarding each ones "strength". Hard to put a durability or reliability rating to a box as it's pretty difficult to calculate or measure that kind of data outside of an hour meter. I think you could measure efficiency but that a whole different pot to stir :stirpot:

IMO I think all the boxes would be within 10-15% of each other and Ballistic and Ox being closer due to them both using AGMA 12-14 gear sets which would be stronger than the commercial cut gears you'd find in a typical Stinger or Rotator. Although I heard thru the grapevine that Rotator was going to, or have gone to, ground polished gear sets to reduce noise.

We want to talk about strength, lets get down to brass tax. In simplest terms, helical gears are stronger than spur cut. So all things equal (gear width, size, tooth count) a helical gear will be stronger than a spur cut gear. Here's why. A spur cut gear can only achieve a maximum contact ratio of 1.2-1.9. What this number represents is the number of teeth that are in mesh at any given time. Now helical gears commonly see anywhere from 2.2 - 4+ at any given time. A helical gear is capable of having twice as many teeth in mesh at any given time over a spur cut gear.

Spur cut gears are however more efficient because the don't have the axial thrust loads that a helical gear does. Whole other topic there.

IMO, they are all great gearboxes and have their benefits. Brian has definitely done a stand up job turning around Ox Drives and nobody can say any different. If we as manufacturers don't continue to improve we'll be playing catch up to the guys that are. EVERY manufacture of boats, gearboxes & belt drives and props has had some failure of some sort failure, its all on how it's dealt with I suppose.

So since we're talking Generations of gearboxes, I can say the same. Since we started making the latest gen. gearbox we've had ZERO failures. Now I haven't put 99 of the newest boxes out like Ox, only 56...guess time will tell.

Looking forward to seeing you guys up here for Thunder on the Loup. Hamant, WT & Ox is a combo that's set the bar high and should be even better racing and riding than last year as long as the weather plays along!
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:59 am

But how many of those gen2 ballistics came back because they sounded like 2 skeletons phucking in a closet?

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Tony480 wrote:But how many of those gen2 ballistics came back because they sounded like 2 skeletons phucking in a closet?
Those were Gen 1 gearboxes with the commercial cut gears like a Stinger...probably 15 of 60-70 boxes I ended up swapping gears out for new ones. We did the Gen 2 gearboxes that had a ground polished pinion and cut drive gear, that helped...only had maybe 5 or 6 of those out of another 60 run set that were a little loud once the gears run in, but not as loud as some of the Gen 1 boxes. Now out of the latest Gen we went to both AGMA 12 gears and had zero "loud" gearboxes. Only made 50+ of those but so far so good. Only time will tell.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Well i don't know about most people...but I tend to look at what all the big name builders sell...and I know Hamant, and D Back both sell OX drive and stingers.

sidejobs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sidejobs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Gearboxes :lol:

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Tony480 wrote:Well i don't know about most people...but I tend to look at what all the big name builders sell...and I know Hamant, and D Back both sell OX drive and stingers.
Well you don't think they are going to buy gearboxes from another manufacturer who also builds boat do you? Ecotec box might change that a little, but....I doubt it LOL
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Return to “Automotive Power Only”