The First Ecotec LF3 is available

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

The First Ecotec LF3 is available

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:45 am

The GM 3.6L V6 Twin Turbo LF3 has become available. Only one. The car has less than 10 miles use. I can get all the parts from this car I need to set it up for an airboat. This engine is 420 HP in the car. My Tuner has a 2014 Cadillac CTS with this engine and has tuned past 475 HP. This is the only one available at this time. Who wants to be the first one with this engine?

Want to see how it is put together? http://youtu.be/8LKB6fBYVaw
Read about this engine.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Mar/nyas/0318-lf3-engine.html
After the link comes up, go down to the blue highlighted words: LF4 ect and click on it to get the specs.

Thanks, Chuck
Last edited by chuckitt@earthlink.net on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: The First Ecotec LF3 is available

Postby DynaMarine » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:03 am

Bad ass chuck!
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby gso480jr » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:19 am

Your tempting me, would have to find a new owner for my supercharged 480 first!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:42 am

The intercooler is under the engine cover so no piping needed. The weight is 485 lbs and includes both Turbo's and intercooler.
If someone wants this for their hot rod car, I can get the 8 speed automatic transmission with the Trans controller complete.

Chuck

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DynaMarine » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:11 am

Like an LSA, but 6-banger and turbo. Definitely a cool little motor!
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

darrell
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby darrell » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:45 pm

i know the naturally aspirated 3.6 vvt motors are bad about the timing chains stretching causing some timing issues. it is mainly due to lack of maintenance i'm sure that won't happen in an airboat since these are our pride and joys but just food for thought
if you argue with an idiot who is the real idiot
12x7 traditions hull Moore built av540 74" ww

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:22 pm

MILSAR wrote:Like an LSA, but 6-banger and turbo. Definitely a cool little motor!

But not..because an LSA is a v8 and supercharged... :scratch:

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DynaMarine » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:18 pm

I meant with the intercooler under the intake lid, and piston squirters. Thanks for pointing out the obvious bud
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Yea guess it was real obvious in your original post...

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby DynaMarine » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:21 pm

I'll be sure and be more specific next time...thanks for busting my balls man haha
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Just a thought: If JB550's 2.0L is turning a 3 Blade 76 inch Maximus with a 2.3 reduction, maybe we should try a 4 blade 78 inch Maximus with the same 2.3 reduction on this V6. I think it will work.
Thanks, Chuck

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:39 am

Engine on a tilt stand:
http://bcove.me/i8u1fx5b

Chuck

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:22 pm

So far, I have had 4 airboaters contact me about this engine. The cost for me to buy this engine and all the parts to make it run put it out of their budget. This cost is about $ 16000.00 dollars. I know many engines can be bought for less that even has more power. On the other hand, this is the worlds most advanced engine made and there is only one available. There will more available as the cars get wreaked and will be sold for less but these will be used and this is a new engine.
A complete new boat built with this engine might cost around 40,000.00 dollars depending on what extras are wanted. There are many boats built that exceed this amount and they will never be as efficient as a boat built with this engine.
You can not build a budget airboat with this engine. I was hoping to find a customer that wanted to have the first one built and have the most advanced technology on the boat. Turning a 4 blade Maximus with dual exhaust just might make it one of the cleanest and quietest airboats ever built. I sure would enjoy putting a project like this together before I retire.
This engine may not be available long.

Thanks, Chuck

WaterWalker
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby WaterWalker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:37 pm

chuckitt@earthlink.net wrote:So far, I have had 4 airboaters contact me about this engine. The cost for me to buy this engine and all the parts to make it run put it out of their budget. This cost is about $ 16000.00 dollars. I know many engines can be bought for less that even has more power. On the other hand, this is the worlds most advanced engine made and there is only one available. There will more available as the cars get wreaked and will be sold for less but these will be used and this is a new engine.
A complete new boat built with this engine might cost around 40,000.00 dollars depending on what extras are wanted. There are many boats built that exceed this amount and they will never be as efficient as a boat built with this engine.
You can not build a budget airboat with this engine. I was hoping to find a customer that wanted to have the first one built and have the most advanced technology on the boat. Turning a 4 blade Maximus with dual exhaust just might make it one of the cleanest and quietest airboats ever built. I sure would enjoy putting a project like this together before I retire.
This engine may not be available long.

Thanks, Chuck

December 9, 2014

To Chuckitt & interested airboaters:

Plum, Andrew & I have been following the EcoTech engine variations and their developments in airboating with great interest.

I believe that a ‘top preforming’ four place airboat requires between 4 & 5 hundred available rotational Horsepower to develop the range of 1400 to 1600 pounds of thrust possible from ‘top preforming’ propellers like the ones we produce at Water Walker. The Maximus line is among those propellers.

This new Cadillac V6 twin turbocharged engine that you describe is such an HP range engine and importantly among a host of other advanced technologies such as minimal weight per HP, it embodies the four main integrated highly advanced automotive engine mechanical technologies that assure high performance with minimal fuel burn (excellent specific fuel consumption ratings). Read ‘more miles to the gallon’. These are;

• Turbocharging that ‘tricks’ the engine into preforming as if it were living on a much larger planet. Our plain old earth’s gravity only generates about 14.7 psi typical air density at sea level. More pressure from turbocharging means more oxygen delivered for fuel burn efficiency.
• Variable engine ignition timing matched to operational ranges in real time.
• Direct high pressure fuel injection of measured amounts into individual combustion chambers optimized to RPM, combustion timing and workloads.
• Variable valve operational timing and interactions that combine with the above three technologies to assure the best possible fuel/air/compression/ignition timing at an optimal position of the combustion cycle for best power and efficiency.

The above are among the mechanical advancements. Added to them and controlling their operations is the modern Engine Control Computer. With the advent of ‘Nearly Instantaneous Solid State Switching” it is able to silently and seemingly magically sense all perimeters of the engine’s operations and constantly send out the electrical commands that function like a living nerve system to operate this engine.

I like it! The 400 to 500 HP normal peak range of this engine and the operational ranges are centerline of its power production design range and long life can be expected from it. While it could be tuned to higher HP ratings, it would likely not be needed, opting for longer service life instead.

Plum, Andrew and I would also like to see such a highly efficient and quiet airboat developed by Chuck Rackly and an ‘Early Adaptor’ for a really ‘State of the Art’ airboat. To that purpose, until the end of this year and hopefully in time for someone to bag this particular engine, we offer a $2000.00 credit towards the purchase of a four blade Maximus propeller set to be a part of such a boat that our friend Chuck could produce for a deserving customer.

David Wine, for Water Walker props. Inc.
Working to make airboating better

highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Postby highlife57 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Sign me up for 2 of them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drunken:

farcry305
Southern Airboat Member

Postby farcry305 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Bold David, Ill be following the build.

Alpha Fab
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Alpha Fab » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:41 pm

Hey Chuck,

Send it to me and we'll finish the harness/ECM combo for you on the engine dyno. That will save you $ and time from having to deal with Vince. Then you can pass that savings to your customer. Just a thought.

-AFI
Specializing in EFI Systems Design, Engineering, & Tuning for the GM Ecotec, LF3, and LSX Platform
http://www.alphafabindustries.com
(734) 794.3082
sales@alphafabindustries.com

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:49 pm

That would not save me any money. I would have to pay you to do my job which is the wiring and setup plus pay shipping too. The only reason I do the direct injected engines is for the pride of being able to learn the newest systems as they come out. If it was just a production job that anybody can do, I would not enjoy my job.
I don't have any trouble with Vince doing my calibration files. He is the only one I know that can wright a base calibration file for the LAF when GM didn't have one for that engine to be used in a manual transmission car. He has also sent me customers that needed systems wired.

Thanks for the offer, Chuck

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:27 pm

i'd go ahead and get it, but my GPU won't die!!!!!!! lol

WaterWalker
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby WaterWalker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:53 pm

jopete wrote:i'd go ahead and get it, but my GPU won't die!!!!!!! lol

Most any 'Sky Pilot' would tell you "Its probably not a good idea" to get a new wife before the old one dies.

Any 'Pilot' that takes to the sky will likely tell you "it is a good idea" to get a new motor 'before' the old one dies.
Working to make airboating better

Alpha Fab
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Alpha Fab » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:27 pm

chuckitt@earthlink.net wrote:That would not save me any money. I would have to pay you to do my job which is the wiring and setup plus pay shipping too. The only reason I do the direct injected engines is for the pride of being able to learn the newest systems as they come out. If it was just a production job that anybody can do, I would not enjoy my job.
I don't have any trouble with Vince doing my calibration files. He is the only one I know that can wright a base calibration file for the LAF when GM didn't have one for that engine to be used in a manual transmission car. He has also sent me customers that needed systems wired.

Thanks for the offer, Chuck

Sure, if you're using the stock harness... I was offering to do a custom harness and ECM for free, but good luck. The stock Bosch ECM is junk. Vince basically bricks the ECM's with a overwrite of the stock OS rendering it useless for diagnosis and/or replacement. He does that because the ECM isn't made to be used in a stand-alone environment. It never will be.

Our DI stuff, including the LHU, LNF, and LAF, we use the versatile E39 controller, setup properly for stand-alone.

Interested to see what it does when you have it complete!

-AFI
Specializing in EFI Systems Design, Engineering, & Tuning for the GM Ecotec, LF3, and LSX Platform
http://www.alphafabindustries.com
(734) 794.3082
sales@alphafabindustries.com

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:49 pm

I don't use the Bosch Controllers, never have and never will. I use the AC Delco E39. I have used the E78's on the 1.4L and 1.8L.
I didn't know you were going to do it for free, but I enjoy getting into the circuits and learning on an engine I haven't done. This 3.6L Twin Turbo is a work of art. Just hope I get a customer for it. If not, Dick said he might let me set it up for his 1976 Chevy Truck with the 8 speed Automatic Transmission.

Thanks, Chuck

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Dave's building DD LS3s. Could this be DD?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:40 am

Hey digginfool, it might work as a DD but I sure would not want to give up all the power you get after 3000 rpm.
If someone wants this engine and don't want to pay $ 15,000.00 dollars. Then Make a serious offer. The owner might except it. I will take the offer to them. Add 6 % to the offer for my commission. You can call me at 352-330-1015.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
Chuck

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby chuckitt@earthlink.net » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:21 am

This engine is so reliable it will be used in the 2015 Cadillac ATS-V.R, Race Car. They want be using the V8. The RPO code is LF4. It will be using the stock Block and heads. The main change is the Turbo's and the Tune. It will produce up to 600 HP. Here is a link to check it out.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/12/sportscar365-gets-a-closer-look-at-the-new-cadillac-ats-v-r-coupe/?utm_source=GM+Authority+Newsletter&utm_campaign=76182e70fc-Mail+Chimp+Daily+Digest+RSS+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ee2a2d8e48-76182e70fc-308595441

I hope it works, Chuck

Return to “Automotive Power Only”