351w going ballistic

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
mc1253
Southern Airboat Member

351w going ballistic

Post by mc1253 »

Im working on putting a ballistic box on my 351w boat and have a few questions for the Ford guys that can give me some info on how to make it happen. the motor stand will have to be modified a little bit in the rear to mount the box but no complete rigging job. I currently have a manual tranny flywheel on it now and it is not perfectly straight. Do they make a flexplate that will fit the ford with the chevy bolt pattern that will match up to the gearbox? I bought the 1/2" thick aluminum adaptor to fit the ballistic to the motor, what kind of spacers do you guys advise to make up that 1/2" difference?
351w pushing a 79" whisper tip ex , 2.68 ballistic on a 14' laser
1600 vw dd on a 12' sportcraft
the best time to fish is thru a hole in the ice
92-97 USMC

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: 351w going ballistic

Post by Deano »

I don't know that somebody doesn't make such a flexplate, but IMO you're better off with a regular flywheel like you have than to use a flexplate anyway. The additional thickness will provide more strength and help minimize the offset you need to bridge because of the adapter. Nothing really special about drilling the flywheel to match the pattern on the box's driveplate.

As far as spacers go, I'd call GTO (or PM Muffled500hp on here) and ask them that question. They sell those adapters, so I would expect that they would not only have that answer, but would be able to point you in the right direction to acquire what you need if they don't have it on hand.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Hammer00
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hammer00 »

What is important is, who made your adaptor plate and where the starter is located. With the Fords, this adaptor will mount your starter unlike a Chevy where its mounted to the block. Ford offers 2 diff size flywheels. With my adaptor plate, I run the 164 tooth (14.5 inches in dia) flexplate. Better make sure flexplate/starter teeth engagement is correct before you take all the time to mount, drill, bolt up, and last thing, go hook up the starter and you have the wrong size flex plate on :lol:
Motorheads Racing Engines
(941) 378-7033

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by nebraskaairboater »

I would get with Shane or Terry at Dynamarine to get you all hooked up for the drive unit you have. They built it and I'm sure he probably has mounted them on Fords before. Otherwise I know GTO had put out several Ford boats with drives on them in the past.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 454 Chevy/ 2.38:1 OX Drive / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

ffcracker
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ffcracker »

GTO is one of the leading authorities on here for small and big block fords, I'm sure they can fill in the blanks.
A RESENTFULL CITIZEN OF A DICTATORSHIP CALLED alachua county

mc1253
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mc1253 »

Thanks for all your posts, Terry from Dynamarine and Danny from Motorheads hooked me up with all the right info, flywheel has got to come off n I need to get a flexplate.
92-97 USMC

Bodean
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bodean »

off topic but how does your boat run with it bein DD? I'm a ford man just curious :salute: I've seen a 300 straight 6 DD on a boat before an i was impressed 8) ther're torque monsters anyway
Just be yourself

mc1253
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mc1253 »

I think it ran great, but the only other airboat Ive been on was my vw powered dd. U had to run it up to 3000 rpms to plane in deep water n cruise at 2200 to 2400. I could not get it to run dry. All rigging made of 1" steel square tube, its rugged but heavy so I'm putting a ballistic on it to have a go anywhere boat.
92-97 USMC

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Windsor built?
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

mc1253
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mc1253 »

Stock right now, want to put alum heads and cam in this winter sometime.
92-97 USMC

Return to “Automotive Power Only”