New to here, questions on boat

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Vansh
Southern Airboat Member

New to here, questions on boat

Post by Vansh » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Won this at an auction and have been using it 3 days a week for the past year. Only have had to replace the radiator and electrical wiring. I've been reading a lot from the forum just never posted. It's finally time to replace the propeller it's dry rotting and coming apart. I have no idea my horse power or anything. I know it has a 1978 Subaru Brat engine in it but the engine specs say 75 hp but I find that hard to believe. It's a 15' Aluminum jonboat with a 54" arrowprop propeller. I have no issues with how hard the propeller pushes now. I have been thinking of going to a 3 blade propeller. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone who makes a carbonfiber less than 60" and or carbon fiber tipped for that low of horse power. I only have room give or take 60" for a propeller. I am pretty sure it is reduction drive, I am not sure though, the starter is connected to the belt that connects to spin the propeller. Any help would be appreciated and I would be thankful!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1424230349364_1.jpg

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Re: New to here, questions on boat

Post by Swamp Parrot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:22 am

go with a Warp drive prop, they use them all the time on Gyrocopters. the engine for Brat is called an EA-81. main thing will be finding out what the prop bolt pattern is on the reduction drive. can you post a close up photo of the drive?

depending what has been done to the engine, they can put out as much as 115 h.p. from the EA-81, that little engine is about bullet proof. a buddy of mine has one on a 2 place gyro that has over 1000 hours on it. always wondered why ya don't see more Subaru's on airboats. the EJ-25 like is in my forester is 167 h.p. stock. and i know of a few Subaru Foresters pushing 500 h.p.

btw you can cut down a Warp drive prop with a hack saw, just make sure to rebalance it. I know as I cut down a 72" to 68" for my old Gyro.
Attachments
img_0002.jpg

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:52 am

That looks a lot like a rig I bought a few weeks ago. From what I can tell from the picture it looks like the same belt reduction. I could not find a name on it but it has a 2 to 1 ratio and the engine is rated for 4400 RPM. That means the prop will only be turning 2200 RPM.

When I got the boat it had 2, 61" x 38 wood props "stacked" to make a 4 blade. The man I got it from said it worked good but the props were rotted at the hub and I would not dare spin them up. I talked to a man in Georgia that said he could make me a 60 inch paddle for a little over $600 that would replace the two props that were on the boat. He had an ad here in the classifieds but unfortunately it's no longer here and I did not write his number down. You might try Arrow Props, also located in Ga.

Is there any numbers on your prop? Also measure the bolt pattern on your hub, probably 6, 3/8" bolts spaced 4 3/4" at the two opposite bolts. That would be the most common bolt pattern, (except for the bolt size, bigger props have larger bolts)

I don't have any experience with the warp drive props so I don't know if they will perform at 2200 RPM. Maybe some with knowledge of the warp drive will share what they know.

I did try bolting my 72" Q from my other boat on it to see what it would do. I had to remove part of the cage to make room for it but it did push pretty hard on the trailer. The trailer was hooked to a riding mower and it pushed the boat, trailer and mower across the yard. Probably not the best setup because the Q likes 2850 RPM's.

I'm with parrot on the Subaru engines, don't know why there's not more of them used on airboats unless there's just not a belt reduction available that will handle the higher HP on the newer engines. It would be interesting to hear from anyone else that has experience with these engines.

By the way Vanish, where are you located?
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

Vansh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Vansh » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:19 am

I am located out of Ingleside on the bay area in Texas. I will get some pictures up of behind it. I am quite sure it is 2:1. The bolt pattern is the same on arrowprops site and it does have a 54" arrowprop at the moment. Like you said at low idle it's 3,800 at operational speed it is 4,400 and high is 5,000. I was looking for something lighter like carbon fiber or as I said carbon fiber tipped props for the bays down here. Unfortunately there aren't any airboat shops down here ironically for as many airboats as there are in the area.

It's definitely a work in progress, I won it at an auction for 1,500$ including trailer. I've probably put double into it already. I am going to have to replace the rudder after I replace the prop. Which will be an endeavor by itself, whoever made it was a mechanic and did the welding. The rudder looks custom done with height, it's 2" short of most manufacturers.

I appreciate the responses.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Parrot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:27 am

skinnypockets wrote:
I don't have any experience with the warp drive props so I don't know if they will perform at 2200 RPM. Maybe some with knowledge of the warp drive will share what they know.

I did try bolting my 72" Q from my other boat on it to see what it would do. I had to remove part of the cage to make room for it but it did push pretty hard on the trailer. The trailer was hooked to a riding mower and it pushed the boat, trailer and mower across the yard. Probably not the best setup because the Q likes 2850 RPM's.

I'm with parrot on the Subaru engines, don't know why there's not more of them used on airboats unless there's just not a belt reduction available that will handle the higher HP on the newer engines. It would be interesting to hear from anyone else that has experience with these engines.

By the way Vanish, where are you located?
They use Subaru's every day on the RAF-2000 and sparrow hawk Gyroplanes. and old Friend of mine has a 200 h.p. Subaru on his Modified Raf-2000 gyro.

The red and white Gyro, even had an inflight adjustable prop.

not to mention there are several companys that make planatary reduction units for the Subaru engines.
Attachments
91_1.jpg
1a1a1a1a1a1a1a1a1a1a1a142j.JPG
Pat_McNair_landing%202.jpg

justin m
Southern Airboat Member

Post by justin m » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:54 am

229-723-2071 I think this may be the number Skinnypockets is talking about. They make smaller props for airboats and i happened to write the number down when the AD was posted here on SA
A/V 540 on a 13ft Navigator hull, swingin a 72" 2 blade WW signature series. Go boat, not a show boat.

Vansh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Vansh » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Up close of propeller
Attachments
8114_1.jpg

airjohn81
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airjohn81 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:32 pm

if your under 100hp including the redrive take a look at compition aircraft.. the ultra prop is what i use an its one tough sum beotch.. adjustable an affordable
:old_glory: :florida: :rebel:

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Vansh, If you're wanting a carbon fiber prop you can call Darrin Grooms at Sensenich, 813-752-3711 in Plant City Fl. I was over there a couple weeks ago to get my "Q" refurbished and was talking to him about a carbon fiber prop for the Subaru. He said he is working on a set up for a motorcycle engine that might work on the Subaru.

I'm not ready for a prop yet because I'm rebuilding the rigging on mine. It'll cost a good bit more for a carbon fiber prop but if you plan on keeping the boat it will be money well spent.

Parrot, Do you happen to know the name of any of the companies that makes the planetary reduction units for the Subaru engines. I'd like to find out more about them. Thanks, Rich

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Vansh wrote:Up close of propeller
Hard to tell with the prop in the way but from what I can see it looks like you have the same redrive unit as mine.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Don't forget to check the MINI AIRBOAT section on the main page.. There is a TON of info on motors, props, boxes, upgrades, etc.... Good luck and let us know.......

Be safe...
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Parrot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:09 pm

skinnypockets wrote: Parrot, Do you happen to know the name of any of the companies that makes the planetary reduction units for the Subaru engines. I'd like to find out more about them. Thanks, Rich

I will have to dig out my old paper work and find the Info for ya, might take a day or 2 as we just moved to fl. in aug. and a lot of stuff still packed up.

there are several companys that make them.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Swamp Parrot wrote:
skinnypockets wrote: Parrot, Do you happen to know the name of any of the companies that makes the planetary reduction units for the Subaru engines. I'd like to find out more about them. Thanks, Rich

I will have to dig out my old paper work and find the Info for ya, might take a day or 2 as we just moved to fl. in aug. and a lot of stuff still packed up.

:thumbleft:

Vansh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Vansh » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 pm

So my boat is in between a mini airboat and a real airboat?I am debating between composite and carbon fiber or tipped still.

I wanted a Sensenich for there carbon tipped wood prop originally but could not go below 60" and said horse power was too low and suggested arrowprop. So I started looking at arrowprop and wanted to get a 48" 3 blade wooden arrowprop.

I would love the idea of composite but if it pushes a wooden propeller that's full sized no problem will it be too much force for a composite?

I also like the idea of a carbon fiber just worried about trimming it down.

I have read a lot about how many propellers and most places I read say 3 is a good number but assuming most are on opinion.

I am good on the water and a decent mechanic but propellers I am very very cherry and just want to buy the best prop I can with the best combination so I can get my airboat up again.

Thanks for all y'all's input.

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Didn't read thru all the posts but I never see mention of powerfin props on this site. They make badass props for lower HP engines
http://www.powerfin.com/selections.html

Vansh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Vansh » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:50 am

Swamp Parrot,

I am going to go with the Warp Drive, 2, 3 or 4 blades?

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Parrot » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 am

Vansh wrote:Swamp Parrot,

I am going to go with the Warp Drive, 2, 3 or 4 blades?
go with at least 3, 4 is better. I had a big 3 blade on my Gyro.

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Parrot » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:41 am

Swamp Parrot wrote:

Rich I put a call into a friend that sells geared reduction drives for a 2 place Gyro that uses the Big Subaru engine, will post pics of what he sells as soon as I get some info. there are a few Companys that sell redrives. will be looking thru more of my stuff today. Monday I am getting a 40 foot shipping container, so I can then start sorting thru all my stuff that is packed up.
you can sometimes find the Planatary reduction drives used on www.barnstormer.com it is a used aircraft web site.

hope this helps ya some.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks Parrot, I'll watch for the pictures.

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:04 pm

I have a set of standard 4 blade WD plates i'll make you a good deal on if your interested. LXL pattern I believe.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

Vansh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Vansh » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:50 pm

How do you know your bolt pattern?

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:57 pm

from my understanding,, almost all airboats you will ever come in contact with will be the LXL (lycoming) bolt pattern. Even continentals need a adapter to make them accept the Lycoming bolt pattern because it is the standard bolt pattern. If you are running a gear reduction on it, it should be a lxl pattern already.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

Swamp Parrot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Parrot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Ok called my buddy that sells the reduction drives for Subaru's he can get the belt driven and gear driven reduction drives.

for a price he can even get a 180 h.p. Subaru with reduction drive, gear box and the ECU as a complete set up.
for info contact.

E-mail Anthony at anthony@swisstoolcraft.com

or call him at 919-340-0038
he is in n.c.

all my photos I have are to many megs to post here, so I have to figure out how to resize them, I am running a Linux Computer.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:57 am

This is the one I use. Just 3 steps and follow instructions.
http://www.picresize.com/
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Vansh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Vansh » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Finally can get some decent pictures of my airboat. Have been away on business. Have been working on the starter. It is 4 and 3/4 inch between the bolts on the propeller.
Attachments
IMAG0280.jpg
IMAG0278.jpg
IMAG0288_1.jpg

Return to “Automotive Power Only”