Robicheaux hull rebuild, 496 stroker

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Robicheaux hull rebuild, 496 stroker

Post by jopete »

cool. best of luck with that new motor!!!! sounds like u are on the right track!!

I used to have a 15' porier hull with a 454 and a 2:1 and always wondered what it would do with more reduction. them deer peas are hard to pass over in the summer!!!! lol

RJC5778
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RJC5778 »

yes, summer running is always hard to run. well the running gear is all back together and now im just waiting on a few upgraded parts to finish her up and run her. im interested to see what kind of pitch i can spin now with the bigger motor. all things being equal minus the extra cubic inches should be a good comparison. still staying with the 850 carb but went up 4 jet sizes all around. gonna set her at 34-35 deg of total timing and let her run for a few hours then pour the coals to her and see how she does.

side note, BBC guys, where you like to run an oil cooler and not affect radiator air flow? i dont want to mount above the engine. have any of you guys run it perpendicular to the main prop with a small fan? let me know your guys tried and true methods and locations if possible please.

RJC5778
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RJC5778 »

running gear is back together and got a chance to run it on the trailer a bit to see where it stood. set the prop and around pitch mark 2 and got 4500 rpms out of the 2:1. for comparison, i could only spin the NGR's at pitch mark 1 at 5400 rpm with the 498. this motor seems to be smoother at idle over the 498 and has consistent power up to max rpm. she ought to move now. will update once i get a few hours on it and prop to desired rpm. prolly keep it around 5200 max and 34/35 deg total timing running 93.

RJC5778
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RJC5778 »

well, she is all back together and i have to say she is quite powerful. 1st thing i noticed i that the 540 is smother than the 496. 2nd alot more torque (spinning 3 blade 80" NGR at pitch mark 2 at 4900 on the trailer static. overall im pleased with the new motor, time will tell and after a few hours to break her in she ought to slide pretty well. ill keep everyone posted as to the progress and real world experience.
Attachments
ab.png

RJC5778
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RJC5778 »

Update: ran the new motor this weekend to put up 5 deer stands at our lease, boat ran fantastic, major improvement over the 498, the boat cruises in deep water with me, full fuel, ice chest, 20 gals extra fuel and a sprayer tank full at 3000 rpm. on dry ground during mid day with a full 14 treated deer stand and myself and older brother broke free at 3500 rpm and cruise in the skinny water at 2800 with all the weight, had no issue running on the hard to pin point the location of the stand prior to unloading and using the winch to lift. cool day here in south la and boat never got above 160 during the hard running. all in all the boat performs very well and time will tell on reliability, interested to see how she will run with a little more rpm and harder dry ground running after a few more easier hours on the motor.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”