Sbc or bbc

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Sbc or bbc

Post by Txmallymurker » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:45 pm

I am in the process of buying my first hull. It is a 16 x 7.5 alluminum with poly bottom. No rigging or stands. I'm getting a really good deal on the boat IMO. I am wanting opinions on what motor to go with as well as what belt drive and blade. I am wanting the most dry run power I can get... Speed is not what I need. And of course I'm not rich so the best bang for my buck is what I'm looking for thanks in advance :old_glory:

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Sbc or bbc

Post by Afflicted » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:49 pm

No replacement for displacement. I'd say bbc or Ls

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:02 pm

I can get my hands on a 454 with mild cam for a pretty decent price... What about belt drive and blade? Any suggestions

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Hate to say it, sounds like you are making some of the same mistakes I made with both of my boats, going as cheap as possible. Better off not having to buy something twice to end up with something that will work for you. There are bargains to be found, but be careful. I'd rather have a stout high performance SBC then a stock 454, but a built BBC will supply lots of torque. My choice would be a LS, and you can buy those used and upgrade for modest price, but need to know enough not to buy junk. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:36 pm

That's why I am here on this forum. So I can keep from making mistakes like that. I am not wanting to go cheap. I will be building the boat a little at a time. But that being said I can't spend 10 to 15 k on a motor it's just not possible for me to do. A local engine guy claims to have a reman 454 that's pushing 600 hp for 5k. Supposed to be a "brother in law deal" he was building at home. Just not real sure what to do now.

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:40 pm

That's why I said claims lol... It's hard for me to believe as well. I am wanting to buy the right motor. Just don't want to buy someone's junk and don't want to spend 10 to 15k... I know there is no industry standard with airboats . so what is your suggestion?

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

I know this is a stupid question but... When you say ls motor you are talking about a corvette motor correct... Like a Ls1-Ls7

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Ok just making sure that's What you were talking about... I'll take a look and see what I can find

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:36 pm

you can also buy a 383 new, with warranty from Whites in TN, for under that 5k figure, i bought a 480 hp 496 crate for under 5k, but it didnt work out too well. I know some on here have spoken highly of Whites, and he will make a specific airboat motor. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:35 am

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... Grp=search

Would this Ls motor be a good choice? It is right around my price range and seems to be everything I need in one kit.

BGREEN427
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BGREEN427 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:21 am

16 ft boat and 327 horses would struggle on the ground. The sbc 604 crate motors are about the same price and have more horsepower, better parts. I think BBC 454 bored out 468, forged pistons, good rods or at least good rod bolts would be a solid start . Balance everything and spend what you have left on aluminum heads. I think it could be done for $5000 if you have a local machine shop you trust who has built airboat motors.

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:01 am

With a BB I would think that a gearbox reduction might be the way to go, rather than belt reduction, as the torque of the engine with a belt and the prop going the same direction will torque roll the boat more than the crank going one way and the prop going the other partially cancelling each other out, especially in slow turning and adding or reducing power (depending on which direction the turn) and the risk of dipping a corner.... Just my opinion, what do BB owners think? Any truth in that? :dontknow:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Everglades_Rebel
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Everglades_Rebel » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Well a big block will be a lot more expensive than a small block and will use moee fuel. On the other hand it will have more torque and pull a lot more boat. Small block will probably be cheaper and will use less fuel but will not have the torque of a big block. Both ways you'll need a gearbox most likely if you want to go over dry ground. If you're going to haul more than 5 people I'd say big block.
Last edited by Everglades_Rebel on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:rebel: 2013 14x8 Diamondback Ultra Lite Hull, 400HP hopped up SBC, 2.38 Stinger Gear Box, 3 blade Sensenich 80' inch prop :rebel:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security, will deserve neither and lose both"

general1eye
Southern Airboat Member

Post by general1eye » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:41 pm

How much does an all aluminum big block weigh?

Everglades_Rebel
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Everglades_Rebel » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:49 pm

general1eye wrote:How much does an all aluminum big block weigh?

It depends on the motor but probably around 500 pounds
:rebel: 2013 14x8 Diamondback Ultra Lite Hull, 400HP hopped up SBC, 2.38 Stinger Gear Box, 3 blade Sensenich 80' inch prop :rebel:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security, will deserve neither and lose both"

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 21DiamondB » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:18 pm

The LS motor is going to cost you alot more money in the end than a big block will with enough horsepowerr/torque to get the job done. Sounds to me like you are really trying to build this on a budget. With that being the case I'd go with a 454 425hp BBC. It's not the most ideal engine out there, but neither is your budget. I've had that one a 20' boat that would run dry and get the job done. Eventually I wanted more, as always and stepped up to a different boat with bigger horsepower. The next step up is another three grand.
-------- 16.5 x 8 Diamondback - 632ci - Oxbox 2. 55 - Sensenich 5-Blade JX---------

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Well more money will just take more time. My first thought was to go with a 454 just for the fact that they've been around a while and they make a decent amount of tourque and hp. I would like to spend 10k on a motor it's just not reasonable for me to do at this point. I have to keep in mind that I still have a lot of money to spend even after I purchase a engine. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Im sure I'll be posting more stuff on here as the build goes on.

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 21DiamondB » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:39 pm

I wouldn't spend the money on a 454 that someone says has this and that. Spend it on a crate 454 with 425hp so you know what you are getting.
-------- 16.5 x 8 Diamondback - 632ci - Oxbox 2. 55 - Sensenich 5-Blade JX---------

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 21DiamondB » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:18 pm

He said he's not looking to spend 10K on a motor right now, hence the reason I would recommend the 454.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:42 pm

a 454 gm crate motor, 2 to 1 belt drive, demon carb, and a 15x7 porie' hull will go just about anywhere with a few people and supplies. and it won't break the bank.

good luck

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Was planning on belt drive since they seem to be a little cheaper.... Was planning on getting a good 3 blade prop and as big as I can get away with.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:03 pm

My suggestion would be no matter how you go make sure that the engine you buy has all forged internal parts which marine engines usually are for I don't know about airboats but I've found in the past lots of people would let their marine boat engine freeze and bust (up north) and would buy an auto engine trying to save money and in no time would blow the auto engine for they aren't built to take the punishment a forged engine will. You guys fell free to correct me if I'm wrong.

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 21DiamondB » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:31 pm

Stick with a 78" three blade if you have room for it. Panther sells the marine crate engines as well.

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:35 am

I'll be building all new rigging from ground up... Going to go with stainless... Plan is to get engine then reduction then prop... Then I will build rigging to fit what I have.

Txmallymurker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Txmallymurker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:09 am

Figured I would make it clear a 80" prop and call that good... Pretty sure that's all the clearance I'll need... But the rigging is a whole different ball game I understand that. I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there. ... I'm sure I'll need some input when I start that project

Return to “Automotive Power Only”