belt box to gear box

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Plastertech2518
Southern Airboat Member

belt box to gear box

Post by Plastertech2518 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:21 pm

If I'm running a CH2 belt box and want to change to stinger gearbox can I just change out the back to legs on engine stand? Or does the motor need to be positioned different? Is it as simple as cut the back legs and reweld 2 new ones to fit gear box? Any info helps thanks
14.5 2018 DB hull, Waterthunder 418 LS EFI, 2.68 oxbox, 3 blade JX 82inch, stainless rigged :old_glory:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: belt box to gear box

Post by Deano » Sat May 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Unfortunately no, it isn't quite as quick and painless as that. If you center the prop in the same place, the engine will not be the correct height or positioned correctly front to back. For all the scabbing that can done, it is far preferential to just build a new stand.

I have some notes with the different measurements, but not where I'm at now. This has been discussed here before though, if you [Search] I'm pretty sure they have already been posted. If not, and no one else replies, I will look for them in the morning.

I think it may have been OneEyedGator that posed the same question a while back if that helps the search.
Or, if that was the case, maybe he will see this and comment.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sat May 02, 2015 7:11 pm

This is a thread that has the dimensions you're after (I think).

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... 5&p=551284

The relevant part that you are after is about half way down.
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Plastertech2518
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Plastertech2518 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Thanks I appreciate the quick response. Didn't think it would be that easy, never is. Lol guess I will just stay with a belt box!
14.5 2018 DB hull, Waterthunder 418 LS EFI, 2.68 oxbox, 3 blade JX 82inch, stainless rigged :old_glory:

Plastertech2518
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Plastertech2518 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Well there lies another problem. Since I can't go with a gear bow I'm gonna go with the CH3 coming from the CH2. I realize that they bolt up different as well. What needs to be done to engine stand to go from Ch2 to the CH3?

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Sat May 02, 2015 8:41 pm

Not to mention Your talking about a new prop (belt/Gear) drive! If a new stand is out of budget then a new prop is way out of budget unless you have a trade already lined up!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sun May 03, 2015 8:34 am

The outlook is much more straight forward going from a CH2 to a CH3. The later, uses a belt one inch wider than the CH2, so I would guess that the fore and aft dimension is probably a fat inch longer anyway. As far as I remember :lol: the other measurement is similar if not the same.

If you have a couple extra inches between where your prop currently sits and the rudders, I believe you will be able to redo the back leg mounts and get away without having to cut them out and completely replacing them. If you don't have enough excessive clearance, you'll likely need to slide your rigging forward a little bit.

My notes say the guy I've spoken to there is Rob, who has been very helpful anytime I've needed anything. Their phone number is (at least was) 814-677-7100. If you call him, I'll bet he can give you the difference in the mounting dimensions off the top of his head.
- Carl Sagan

aggiejim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by aggiejim » Mon May 04, 2015 1:28 am

your belt box sits lower due to the grater distance from centerline of crank shaft to big belt cog on the prop side and the belt drive is 4 inches longer pushing the prop closer to cage and transum
16 x 8 floral city ls2 6.0 aluminun block 2.3 ch3
can u say addicted
16.5 x8 alumintech new build
6.0 ls2 2.3 ch3 3 blade
the aggie

Return to “Automotive Power Only”