LS3 Oil Cooler / Oil Change

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
JTodd1976
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JTodd1976 »

Hey All,

I have a MAST 550 Cyclone on my "new to me" 17x8 Air Ranger. I'm getting close to time to change the oil for the first time on this engine. I'm also a bit anal about maintenance on my equipment, and have run into a situation I hadn't anticipated. This boat has an oil cooler mounted below the engine, in front of the radiator. The ports on the Oil Cooler are facing upwards, which during an oil change leaves some qty (1/2 qt maybe?) of oil pooled in the Oil Cooler.. Any tips or tricks to drain / purge the oil cooler short of yanking it? Should I just not worry about that last little bit of old oil and allow it to dilute?

JT

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: LS3 Oil Cooler / Oil Change

Post by Olf Art »

Would tilting the trailer help? Just a thought. Actually, I'm kinda anal about oil changes too, and
a 1/2 qt. of the old oil in the system may be better than an air pocket in the cooler? :dontknow:
Last edited by Olf Art on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker »

Compressed air in one outlet / hose in a jug on other.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

JTodd1976
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JTodd1976 »

No way tilting the trailer would help.. Would really have to flip the boat upside down.. Ill have to look at the Filter Adapter to see if I can get a compressed air line on it.. Thought about taking it out and welding in a bung and drain valve at the lowest point.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

Need to flip that cooler if you want it to work efficient, heat rises, so the ports on the bottom lets the hot oil rise and the cool oil to leave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTodd1976
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JTodd1976 »

Thanks Comanche.. I really like the idea of flipping the cooler from a mechanical perspective in that it would be much easier to fit a drain valve on either of the ports.. However I think that would create a situation making purging air from the system very difficult..

Regarding temperature stratification, I'm not certain it's an applicable concept in a low gross volume, reasonably high flow rate system like this, but that would just be an initial relatively un-researched disposition.. Are there any studies available?

Dr.Dan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dr.Dan »

My thoughts:

1. I would just leave the residual oil there. I don't think 1/2 quart will make any difference granted you're using a quality oil (synthetic) and reasonable change interval.

2. The orientation of the cooler is unlikely to affect cooling performance as long as there is no air bubbles. It is a closed system with relatively high flow as it's pumped through.

So I would leave it as-is.

dd

JTodd1976
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JTodd1976 »

1. Valvoline VR1 Racing 20-50 per MAST.

2. Agree totally.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

Well the other theory is leave how you have it so it stays primed at all times so you dont lose oil flow, that half quart in the cooler wont hurt a thing with oil changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTodd1976
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JTodd1976 »

That's what I'm leaning towards.. Appreciate everyone's help thinking through it.

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

My Vet also uses an oil cooler mounted in the drivers front fender and we never drain the cooler. I would leave that oil in there, starving the oil pump until prime has got to be harder on the engine than have 1 qt of old oil blended with the 6 qts of new oil.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

Aeon
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Aeon »

ever check to see what your oil temps are? Might want to ditch the oil cooler ls3's just do not need the extra cooling. I run mine in both hot and cold and never see temp problems. its not like a small block chevy
17x8 Circle H powered by a TurnKey LS3, 2.55 ox box and 82" 3 blade JX

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

Aeon wrote:ever check to see what your oil temps are? Might want to ditch the oil cooler ls3's just do not need the extra cooling. I run mine in both hot and cold and never see temp problems. its not like a small block chevy
If you have a data reader the computer should show you your temps. I will have to disagree with you on this Aeon, my oil temps would get is high as 250* before I installed an oil cooler. That said I did not have my engine on an airboat it was in a car so it could be different. When I installed my oil cooler it also lowered my coolant temps.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by T-REX »

Going back a few years I remember Dave posting that the aluminum motors 'barely' get up to temp to burn off the water( condensation) that collects in the oil and a oil cooler in a airboat is more harm than good.
It was a much older post..... What are your oil temps anyway? Your computer should have that info....
Not talking about the car application of course....

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll »

T-REX wrote:Going back a few years I remember Dave posting that the aluminum motors 'barely' get up to temp to burn off the water( condensation) that collects in the oil and a oil cooler in a airboat is more harm than good.
I remember seeing that as well.
Basically if you find signs of moisture while running an oil cooler it makes sense to take it off because the oil system inst getting hot enough overall to burn the excess moisture out.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

rbjscott
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rbjscott »

I was considering an oil cooler for my 502. Put a temp. probe in the oil drain pan and temps were at water temp. or barley above. Did the same test on my son's 1998 Tahoe (350) and oil temp. 250 to270 and it had a factor cooler. I think an engine in an auto. can't get ride of the heat. Temps under the are surprising.
"The price of Freedom is high! And the sound of Freedom is loud!" (Jet fighter pilot)

Return to “Automotive Power Only”