Automotive powered airboat discussion.
akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

6.0 Mercury Crusader

Post by akblackdawg »

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/Boati ... /23604.cfm

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bpo/5286258389.html

Just stumbled onto this motor listed here in my area on Craigs List for $5000. Not really what I want, but might be very workable if I changed out the cam, took off the marine heat exchanger and other stuff specific for marine engines, would prefer a aluminum block, but with the iron block this still should be considerably less weight then my 495 BBC. I'm trying to find out more about it, it is still available, includes the wiring harness, wanted to see what the "experts" opinion is of my find. No shipping, i could make offer and pick up today if i decided to. All new, not rebuilt, trying to find out about what pistons are in it now.
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 6.0 Mercury Crusader

Post by GCRedfisher »

I'm sure that being in the great white north your options are somewhat limited but 5k seems like a lot of money to spend on something you really don't want.JMO. especially if you have to sink more money into it for you to be able to use it in your particular application. Maybe some of the "Airboat Specific" engine builders can give you the answer your looking for.
On a side note, the videos from you guys up there are great! That is truly amazing country up there!
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

GCRedfisher wrote:I'm sure that being in the great white north your options are somewhat limited but 5k seems like a lot of money to spend on something you really don't want.JMO. especially if you have to sink more money into it for you to be able to use it in your particular application. Maybe some of the "Airboat Specific" engine builders can give you the answer your looking for.
On a side note, the videos from you guys up there are great! That is truly amazing country up there!
i would rather go with less weight of the all aluminum motor, but my understanding the same motor with the iron block is only about 75 lbs more, so really not significant. i'm looking for the best bang for the buck, i think i can get this cheaper then the 5k, i can sell parts off it like the heat exchanger, etc, a hot cam should boost it another 50 hp, and the fact that it is new, 6l motor is a big plus if it is built ok for airboat. still trying to find out what pistons it has, etc. i don't need a screamer, just need reliability and something with enough power to get off the mud, and with it losing a couple hundred lbs off the ass in should help a lot in that regard,

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

jmo; if you are going to a smaller engine, you're going to have to scream it to replace the brute power you have now.

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

akblackdawg

what kind of stuff do you run up there? Is it just shallow or is it swamp, grass, dry ground etc?
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

mudflatgary2.JPG
crowhater wrote:akblackdawg

what kind of stuff do you run up there? Is it just shallow or is it swamp, grass, dry ground etc?
primarly use the boat to hunt. run mostly tide flats and have to leave the boat sitting on the tide flats while i walk into locations to hunt. i can leave it sitting in 10 ft of water, and come back to same place 4-6 hrs later and it is sitting on very sticky glacerial silt mud with a lot of suction. sometimes the 496 would push it off, sometimes not. if i'm able to push boat around with jack, to where it points down the tidal slope i have a much better chance. there have been times when i've walked off to pick it up later, or spend the day waiting for the tide to come get me.

bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bkmail »

Bud,
For about 2X that motor we can possibly order up a LS3 ready to run and built for an airboat application......
Just a thought.
Bk
https://www.bkmarineservices.com
https://m.facebook.com/BKMarineServices

502 BBC on a 18' Alumitech 2.68 Stinger box, w/84" 4 blade Whisper Tip Whirlwind blades.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

bkmail wrote:Bud,
For about 2X that motor we can possibly order up a LS3 ready to run and built for an airboat application......
Just a thought.
Bk
yep, and that is a option still, but i am always looking for a good deal, even if not so good in the end.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Bud it just seems like to me that of all people you are the guy who needs a "top shelf" purpose built airboat engine. Over the past few years if my memory is correct you have worn through or had defects in the "bargain" engines and endured significant down time and headaches.

With the extreme environment you run in having a purpose built engine that is both strong and reliable becomes a tool of survival and a true need more than a bragging right.

T-REX
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by T-REX »

That's so beautiful man!!!
Wow.
Big country out there.....

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Those tides are crazy!

ps: Spoke with Bud on the side and he sounds like he will pass on this 6.0 an opt for a real build.

CBL
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CBL »

The problem you end up with using a marine specific engine with open loop cooling is there's usually more piston to cylinder wall clearance machined into the cylinders because they're designed to have a constant supply of cool water running through the block, which reduces cylinder expansion compared to a closed loop cooling system. I think running high rpm's with loose pistons rattling around would be a bad deal.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

CBL wrote:The problem you end up with using a marine specific engine with open loop cooling is there's usually more piston to cylinder wall clearance machined into the cylinders because they're designed to have a constant supply of cool water running through the block, which reduces cylinder expansion compared to a closed loop cooling system. I think running high rpm's with loose pistons rattling around would be a bad deal.
makes sense to me...i really thought a marine engine might be a good reliable way to go, and this being new and affordable made it very attractive to my ignorant ass. thanks to everybody for steering me clear. I am going to try and get a airboat specific build, now looking at the turnkey ls1 engine as being almost affordable a little later this winter.

12PSI
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by 12PSI »

It says it's LH rotation, your boat would be going backwards all the time.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”