455 buick

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
cycoles
Southern Airboat Member

455 buick

Post by cycoles » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:13 am

would like to hear every ones take on 455 buick compared to other engines running direct drive
13'5" wide nose gileo 220 gpu 5 blade warp , old caddie puller

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: 455 buick

Post by Scarecrow » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:44 am

Probably need to get with Whitebear, he knows those motors. :thumbleft: :rebel:

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:02 pm

their about equal to a 472 caddy. have potential for more' whitebear is the man to ask.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:18 pm

When talking about this old engine, you have to keep in mind its big time old school. Direct Drive is likely the most successful application. Reduction drives have been used but it just doesn't like them. It has a shortcoming that is NOT an issue with Direct Drive and that is the oil system. There are well known mods to help this for the higher RPMs of a Reduction Drive.

The Buick is a bit lighter weight then the Caddy and is about the same HP and Torque. It will run with no mods but there are a few simple ones that really wake up the old girl. It comes with the best carburetor to use on it which in many cases goes against the wants or wills of many airboaters. The Rochester QuadraJet is both simple and reliable, but a bit different than the Holly but it is well worth the time to learn.

At one time these engines were free or nearly free by just hauling off the old cars they were in. Lots of power but in the airboat world still heavy. With today's wider boats that likely may not be an issue. They are easy to set up and easy to get the right prop going on.

As with any application in a wet environment maintenance is paramount. Maybe I should say service instead of maintenance. Keep clean oil and filters in it, filter the fuel, monitor the temperatures, she will run on regular or premium pump gas. Easy to cool with a tiny high rear mounted radiator or just as easy with a huge low under the engine mounted radiator. Safety wire the dip stick, air cleaner, radiator and oil breather cap.

Olds 455s are nowhere near the same engine and have a history of snapping cranks and flattening off cams. Caddillac 500s pay the weight penalty. Anything can be made to work but the 455 is just a fine engine. In today's world you may find parts hard to come by, especially factory not after market parts. If you are resourceful and now your way around the shop it should provide long life and decent performance ranging from a real O-470 to a 260 HP O-540. There are a few different versions of 455 some are easier than others to get set up. Some make a bit more or less power. All will run well though.

Not sure what all you want to know so I will let ya ask anything you are interested in and I will chime in where I can offer something intelligent. I won't play the bashing game against other motors though. Ask away.....
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

hash4077
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hash4077 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:07 pm

my 455 Buick is a 13 foot big o I run a Quadrajet I'm turning a 72/36 paddle 3000 direct drive run good

cycoles
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cycoles » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:10 pm

what I am reading you are right on wickapedia states that the engine is only 25lbs heavier than a small block chevy

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes it is a Siamese engine meaning the middle two cylinders have no water between them. Makes for a smaller block and heads. You can shave a lot of weight by using a cast aluminum manifold instead of the stock cast iron intake. This is significant. We made our own headers out of 3" EMT and chromed them..... Cheap but beat the current (at the time) laws about open headers. We ran 72x40 or 70x44. I preferred the 70 inch prop because of the added snap and top RPM safety.

The block used what at the time was a novel alloy to reduce weight as well.

Here is a shaky old Polaroid from the 70s. There should be more in my gallery, help yourself.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

cycoles
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cycoles » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:02 am

thanks for ur imput we are enjoying the ride

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:25 pm

I can count about 10 old timers (and I use that term as loosely as I can because they are a little older than I am) that have run them personally.. And every one of them have said, at different times alone, that the 455 Buick motor was one hell of an airboat motor back in the day.. Now, I say "back in the day" because of the technological leaps and bounds the motor industry has come since then... But man, the stories they tell, the abuse they put them thought, the ease of working on them, simplicity of the motor and being a direct drive made this motor the pride junk yard pick !!!!! Heard some unbelievable stories of dry running ability that you would not think was possible.. But when enough of them owned them, and see their face glow when speaking of the old boat, makes you really believe how nice they were for them back then....

Just a thought, some of these veteran riders have been around and have sampled just about everything throwing HP to a prop..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Southern Style wrote:I can count about 10 old timers (and I use that term as loosely as I can because they are a little older than I am) that have run them personally.. And every one of them have said, at different times alone, that the 455 Buick motor was one hell of an airboat motor back in the day.. Now, I say "back in the day" because of the technological leaps and bounds the motor industry has come since then... But man, the stories they tell, the abuse they put them thought, the ease of working on them, simplicity of the motor and being a direct drive made this motor the pride junk yard pick !!!!! Heard some unbelievable stories of dry running ability that you would not think was possible.. But when enough of them owned them, and see their face glow when speaking of the old boat, makes you really believe how nice they were for them back then....

Just a thought, some of these veteran riders have been around and have sampled just about everything throwing HP to a prop..

This old timer misses his......for all the reasons mentioned above. bought, built a bigger and more powerful boat...

That was only a year and half ago but I`m already "nostalgic" about Dirt Road Sport.

:scratch:

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:06 pm

Just glad I am still around and able to share some of what we learned back then. Cant share ALL of the tales cause for some things there is no statute of limitations.......Grinn

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:53 am

Whitebear wrote:Just glad I am still around and able to share some of what we learned back then. Cant share ALL of the tales cause for some things there is no statute of limitations.......Grinn
I love your 'Buick days' stories, Scotty. The older that I get, the more convinced I am that there is a lot to be celebrated about 'old school' ways. On another thread on here everybody is fawning on about those new Ecotech motor combos. The operative word here is 'combo'!! Them old Buicks didn't need no stinkin combo ... you could bolt a prop to one of them and run it for years. :thumbleft:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:22 am

My old buick was a great DD motor. It would surprise alot of people with its dry running abilities. Then I tried to go gear box with it and did it wrong!! I went 2.3 gear and a 3 blade,turning 5200. It was a piston eating machine then!! Lol. They do well with the old school thinking,like a 1.5 to no more than a 2to1 box and keep them under 4500 and put a bunch of pitch in the prop. I gave up on mine and went BBC. Built my motor in 09 and havnt looked back. Any time I think I miss the days of DD I go to the ramp and look and the DD 350a trying to get on plane
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:06 am

Joe wrote:My old buick was a great DD motor. It would surprise alot of people with its dry running abilities. Then I tried to go gear box with it and did it wrong!! I went 2.3 gear and a 3 blade,turning 5200. It was a piston eating machine then!! Lol. They do well with the old school thinking,like a 1.5 to no more than a 2to1 box and keep them under 4500 and put a bunch of pitch in the prop. I gave up on mine and went BBC. Built my motor in 09 and havnt looked back. Any time I think I miss the days of DD I go to the ramp and look and the DD 350a trying to get on plane
Joe, back in the day if you turned a big Olds, Buick, or Pontiac past 5,400 you were an idiot to think you could get away with it. I did a couple times with a 421 Pontiac and paid for it bigtime! :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:42 pm

When I did it it wasn't stock anymore by any means. I had upgraded rod bolts big sump oil pan better cam better pistons.... the people I know that have run buicks hard,they eat pistons. It costs ALOT of money to make them live at higher rpms,just like caddys. And the after market isn't very big for them. TA performance is the best company out there for buick performance parts,they got alot of money from me,Lol.
I remember I called Jegs looking for a set of forged pistons for it and the guy told me to junk the pos and buy a real motor! They have never gotten a dime from me since
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Olf Art wrote:
Whitebear wrote:Just glad I am still around and able to share some of what we learned back then. Cant share ALL of the tales cause for some things there is no statute of limitations.......Grinn
I love your 'Buick days' stories, Scotty. The older that I get, the more convinced I am that there is a lot to be celebrated about 'old school' ways. On another thread on here everybody is fawning on about those new Ecotech motor combos. The operative word here is 'combo'!! Them old Buicks didn't need no stinkin combo ... you could bolt a prop to one of them and run it for years. :thumbleft:

…simplicity, affordable, reliable.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Return to “Automotive Power Only”