Big Trouble Brewing?

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Big Trouble Brewing?

Post by digginfool » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Tony480 wrote:Your a special kind of stupid! Lmfao.
Dropped a cylinder but didn't miss and now has more oil pressure. Wtf kind of **** are you smoking?
Not as stupid as the guy who keeps getting his clock cleaned by the boys from Kansas. All excuses, all show and bluster, no go. JS 8)
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

nunook
Southern Airboat Member

Post by nunook » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:06 pm

If there is pressure in the case unless you have a good locking oil dip stick, you would shoot the dipstick right out of the block, I had a blown 327 which blew the dip stick right out of the engine due to blow-by.
2006 Floral City 14' Deckover Lycoming GSO-480

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:14 pm

nunook wrote:If there is pressure in the case unless you have a good locking oil dip stick, you would shoot the dipstick right out of the block, I had a blown 327 which blew the dip stick right out of the engine due to blow-by.
That's probably true. It's just odd that the oil pressure jumped up the way it did and then I find this. To me, it looks like the cylinder not firing hasn't been going on very long since there is still some carbon soot inside the exhaust port. There's also oily residue inside the exhaust port, which is not very comforting. If there's a good point to all of this, if it hadn't been for the header bolts snapping, I probably would not have found out about this issue until it was way too late.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:28 pm

Dang I like my waterthunder . Maybe you should find a new hobby you seem to struggle with airboating .
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:36 pm

digginfool wrote:
Dropped a cylinder but didn't miss and now has more oil pressure. Wtf kind of **** are you smoking?
Not as stupid as the guy who keeps getting his clock cleaned by the boys from Kansas. All excuses, all show and bluster, no go. JS 8)

:happy1: Tony next...................... :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: Better wake up Whitebear someone Tony going to have something to say :stirpot: :stirpot:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:44 pm

digginfool wrote:
Obviously mine runs better than yours. Hell blown motor,broke gear box,how many props have you tore up,running on 7 cylinders and high oil pressure from a burnt piston. You are right up there with that Obama lover from Alaska as far as dumb shit I've seen people post on here.

Jgamble
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jgamble » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Take this as a grain of sand but, a LS engine doesn't take 15w-50 at all and i don't care what anyone says. The max oil thickness you should be running is 10w-30 you could also buy it with a zinc additive. If you switch to a thinner oil you will have less drag on the supercharger and also less drag on the engine. The journals in a LS aren't the same as the old school engines back in the day. Now all engines have tighter clearances. Like i said grain of sand because if you listen or not its no skin off my a** as i don't have to pay to fix it.

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AceNtheHole » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:36 pm

I don't care what the others say about you diggin, I still love you, man! You did me the biggest favor and you don't even know it. I almost bought that boat but you beat me to it.

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:28 pm

so much for the LSA
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Took a look inside the cylinder with the bore scope. There was some vertical scoring and pitting on the head of the piston. My guess is broken oil ring. Motor is still under warranty and Marine Power told me to use whoever their local distributor recommended to use. Just so happened they recommended one of the best engine shops in South Florida. We'll see what happens next.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:15 pm

AceNtheHole wrote:I don't care what the others say about you diggin, I still love you, man! You did me the biggest favor and you don't even know it. I almost bought that boat but you beat me to it.
I'll make you a deal. :lol: One thing for certain, this boat has given me plenty to talk about.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:35 pm

swamper2 wrote:so much for the LSA
I wouldn't discount the LSA. I got a little over 170 hours out of it. Heck, if I hadn't found this, I probably could have gone 200 before she blew to pieces. I've been saying for quite a while now; buy a purpose built motor. Waterthunder, TKE, MAS, MAST; anything that's built to take the punishment. Obviously, my Beaner motor gave me what I had coming. You all know the old saying; you get what you pay for.

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:05 am

Looking at spark plug that is fouled, would suggest a new set of plugs. Vertical scoring in the cylinder is not uncommon.

Exhaust port does not look like culprit cylinder is pumping oil.

Noboby knows if you put a new plug in the engine and monitored burn for a short time.

Possibly, she is perfect after you put 5W30 oil back in the engine and a new plug?
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:15 pm

flying fish wrote:Looking at spark plug that is fouled, would suggest a new set of plugs. Vertical scoring in the cylinder is not uncommon.

Exhaust port does not look like culprit cylinder is pumping oil.

Noboby knows if you put a new plug in the engine and monitored burn for a short time.

Possibly, she is perfect after you put 5W30 oil back in the engine and a new plug?

I thought the same. Put new plugs and check header temps with a heat gun. U will know pretty quick if it's firing or not

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:57 pm

I have always been told to go lighter with oil. Less restriction , cycles quicker to remove engine temperatures. We ran a mechanical gauge at motor along with electric in console during break in. The electric will spike faster than mechanical , but usually read the same at constant throttle. Heat gun reading each header tube is fastest way to see if dropped a cylinder , if you can't tell by your feel . If a motor is hurt or hurting , you should feel it.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Diggin,

You do know your holding two totally different plugs correct? Same motor?

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:32 pm

[quote="Prototype"]Diggin,

You do know your holding two totally different plugs correct? Same motor?[/quote

I do believe they're the same, just one is inside a socket.
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:34 pm

GCRedfisher wrote:
Prototype wrote:Diggin,

You do know your holding two totally different plugs correct? Same motor?[/quote

I do believe they're the same, just one is inside a socket.
That is correct; one is inside a socket. The clean plug is from the adjacent cylinder and all the other plugs looked just like that. Fish, there is a pretty heavy film of oil on the walls of the exhaust port. The other cylinders are dark with soot. There's a big difference between the offending cylinder and the others. It could very well be something that could be fixed with a spark plug and going back to the 5W-30. But, Marine Power is making the calls and they want the engine looked at. It's their warranty so got to take their direction. One thing for certain, that cylinder was no longer firing, there's burnt oil and chunks of carbon on the plug, scoring on the cylinder walls and the exhaust port is coated in oil. Not good signs at all.

wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by wildcard » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:59 pm

I'll stand my ground you don't know sh$$ about a motor scrambletown has you peged :stirpot: :fishing

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:32 am

Jgamble wrote:Take this as a grain of sand but, a LS engine doesn't take 15w-50 at all and i don't care what anyone says. The max oil thickness you should be running is 10w-30 you could also buy it with a zinc additive. If you switch to a thinner oil you will have less drag on the supercharger and also less drag on the engine. The journals in a LS aren't the same as the old school engines back in the day. Now all engines have tighter clearances. Like i said grain of sand because if you listen or not its no skin off my a** as i don't have to pay to fix it.
from what I read in the gm lsa breakin section is 5 w 30 is the recommended oil and also they have a piston oil spray set up as to where the hi viscosity might not let it cool them properly
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:02 am

I run 5w-30 Amsoil in my mostly stock LS3 and it has worked great. My observation with an oil pressure spike as described was seeing a rod bearing scar then spin blocking oil flow and raising pressure. Fellow then ran it about an hour past the spike and noticed a tapping. Some scenarios like this report a power loss but this guy had no loss of power. Be interesting to see what is learned from the tear down and if in fact rings were involved. I still don't understand why the header bolts are breaking.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:53 am

This is the reason I switched from the 5W-30 recommended by GM to the 15W-50. No more, no less. BTW, the motor does not hold 10 quarts. That spec has to be either a typo or for their inboard applications. As far as the header bolts snapping, no clear answer on that but the header flange was warped. Taking it to the manufacturer to have it straightened. I spoke with and sent pictures to the bolt manufacturer and they are sending a new set. In turn, I'm sending the failed bolts back to them so they can see if there is some defect in the casting or hardening process. The header manufacturer suggested that perhaps the header bolts I'm using are too hard, causing the brittle fracture. He suggested a softer metal.
Attachments
Marine_Power_spec.pdf
(368.73 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:07 am

Hopefully you've learned to drive since you got the boat and haven't blown anymore boats over. Maybe you should take the money you've spent on the boat and fix the guys boat you blew over. JS

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:00 pm

Tony480 wrote:Hopefully you've learned to drive since you got the boat and haven't blown anymore boats over. Maybe you should take the money you've spent on the boat and fix the guys boat you blew over. JS
Tony, if there was a jackass smilie, I would use it but this works just as well. :tool: :knob:

You know nothing more of that event than a boat was blown over. While I feel for the guy, my conscience is clean, as well it should be. Nobody that knows the whole story would feel otherwise.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:54 pm

digginfool wrote:
Tony480 wrote:Hopefully you've learned to drive since you got the boat and haven't blown anymore boats over. Maybe you should take the money you've spent on the boat and fix the guys boat you blew over. JS
Tony, if there was a jackass smilie, I would use it but this works just as well. :tool: :knob:

You know nothing more of that event than a boat was blown over. While I feel for the guy, my conscience is clean, as well it should be. Nobody that knows the whole story would feel otherwise.
Actually everyone feels otherwise! You told the man you'd pay to fix his boat and then you dodged him like the plague. You were told to watch behind and if it was gonna lift it would be drug out of the way...instead you jump on that barge and put your retard honda goldwing headsets on and hold it to the grate and shake the rudders trying like hell to get off,never looking back. Be a man and pay for the boat you tore up! Douche!

Return to “Automotive Power Only”