ECOTEC AIRBOAT CHEAP

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

ECOTEC AIRBOAT CHEAP

Post by gyrocopter582 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:47 pm

CHANGING HOBBIES, SELLING THE LEGENDARY COMBEE "TROUBLEMAKER".
50 CENTS ON THE DOLLAR, NEED IT GONE, CHECK THE CLASSIFIEDS.
"Amaze your friends, annoy your neighbors"

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: ECOTEC AIRBOAT CHEAP

Post by Whitebear » Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Are you still going to be a rotorhead?
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Mon May 16, 2016 1:16 am

Hmmm .... sounds to me like you Ecotec boys have finally figured out that an engine won't live forever at 6,500 rpm.
Maybe that's why there are 0-540 and AV200 Lyco's still around after over 50 years. Screw gearboxes and high rev BS.
Give me a DD something ..... A/C or car motor, and let's go to the river.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Mon May 16, 2016 1:39 am

Old fart, it is really hard to respect your elders, such as yourself, when you make comments like that.

Are you saying that Mike is selling an airboat with a broken engine? Because nowhere in his ad does it say that and it is pretty damn offensive to try and torpedo a sale with a negative post. How would you like someone to do that to you?

It is pretty darn consistent that certain people are really rude and inconsiderate. I would hope you wouldn't fall into that bunch. You see people complain about how awful and bad the "new blood" is all the time. Truth be told, I see bad behavior from all age demographics on here.

Who cares what engine someone is using? Seriously, if you want airboating to stick around for future generations, everyone is going to need to start encouraging participation and not drive silly wedges and form cliques based on engine choice, prop type, etc..

Anyway, good luck on the sale Mike. Certainly worth your asking price.

For the record, most ecotecs never see north of 5400RPM. Less than a lot of SBC/LS boats.

-R
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Mon May 16, 2016 3:47 am

OneBFC wrote:Old fart, it is really hard to respect your elders, such as yourself, when you make comments like that.
I don't require your respect. When you have lived long enough you will learn to respect certain timeless principles, not just old men like myself. The Ecotec engines are an interesting experiment. When one of them has run mostly trouble free for well over a half century then they might be worth considering as a viable airboat power plant. Until then, they're just expensive Bling.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Mon May 16, 2016 8:22 am

Now come on Olf, that entire premise is bordering on being a little bit silly.

I have great respect for both you guys and don't have a dog in this hunt, I agree with you both, and as such I am still the EcoTech fence myself. I will admit to doing some quick math when I first saw his ad though. :shock: I just can't, no matter how hard I try, justify having another boat, our place looks like a marina already. That is not to say I won't recommend it to a boatless friend though.

Just because the first one has gone up for sale doesn't mean they are all bad (and not the way of the future).
At any given time, if you look at the classifieds for engine parts, the Aircraft listings outnumber the Automotive by between four and five to one. I however, do not interpret that to mean they are junk and/or no body sells car motor parts because they never break.

I won't try and convert you, as I am not there myself, but I do agree with the bulk of what Russ posted as well.
I do understand your logic and my preferences are very similar to yours, but there's no reason to make things difficult for another brother wanting to sell a boat at a fair price.

No disrespect intended to anyone reading this but, "learning to respect certain timeless principles" sounds more like a line from the Harley-Davidson marketing department than a justifiable reason to not run an EcoTech. :lol: :lol:

In spite of the reasons you perceive it ain't the best choice,
I still would like to put you right in front of an old Cadillac. :D
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine » Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 am

If an engine has to run trouble free for "well over a half century" before its considers a "viable airboat power plant" in your opinion....I am glad you are not in charge of any kind of R&D or powertrain development of any sort. Most engines now a days have been torture tested by manufacturers to simulate YEARS of abuse in the worst conditions. Hell they done one test where they took an LS (can't remember which model) and ran it for something like 100+hrs going back and forth from peak tq (4800ish) to peak HP (6400) and the sucker still wouldn't spit it's guys out. Try that with your SBC or BBC. I'm no AC guy but how would an AC engine due running back and forth between 75% and 100% throttle for 100+hrs straight?

These ecotechs are tough little motors and every bit a viable option in IMHO. I built one for the Dtate of Kansas game wardens and they LOVE it. Run 50+ mile trips and average 6-7mpg using a 200hp 2.4L Ecotec with 2.38 box and 2-blade 74" NGQ. On a 13'6 x 7'6 aluminum poly boat that'll run sticky sandbars...seems viable option to me. Then again to each their own.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Post by gyrocopter582 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 am

Hey fart, my ECOTEC runs perfect, same as always, started in two blades after sitting three months.
I'm going offshore fishing now. MUCH nicer people in that hobbie.
This is a perfect illustration of one reason I'm finished with airboats.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:07 am

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gobblerD » Mon May 16, 2016 11:04 am

Leave Olf Alone. You Harsh Non airboaters. He was just tickling the old AC V CAR nerve. :lol: :lol:

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gyrocopter582 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:26 am

White bear, I'm still flying my whirlybird, just not as much as I would like. I'm the lead mechanic on the local trauma helicopter here in Melbourne, and it requires a lot of my attention. Thanks for asking!

Shane, I shake my head when I hear the stupid response to modern engines used in an airboat.
This comes from the same guy that would drive cross country in his late model car, and demand nothing
Less than a trouble free trip with his family.

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe » Mon May 16, 2016 11:28 am

It's just olfs dementia kicking in!! LOL. Read his old posts,you can kinda see a pattern when he's doing good on his meds and when Hes getting squirrly!! Lol.
Damn,knew I didn't like or respect him one bit but damn,not cool to kick a man's add for no reason. Go take a pill
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon May 16, 2016 11:37 am

gyrocopter582 wrote:I'm going offshore fishing now. MUCH nicer people in that hobbie.
Ha!! Obviously haven't spent much time offshore, have you? Wait until you pull up on a weedline that's producing. :lol: :lol: You'll find all kinds of niceties from the offshore hobby crowd. :lol: :lol: I have never met a nicer more helpful bunch than the airboat crowd and I've had many a hobby over the years. JS
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Skeeter-Gee » Mon May 16, 2016 6:26 pm

lol im with diggin , offshore people are pretty ridiculous too. I deal with em daily .

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gyrocopter582 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:00 pm

WOW, gotta love participants on this here For-Emm.
So the "TROUBLEMAKER" ECOTEC airboat sold today.
The buyer, a 'good old boy', has deep roots in this sport.
He saw the potential, and was happy to acquire my hot rod.

You guys be safe. I'm out. :thefinger:

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold » Tue May 17, 2016 8:02 am

stay safe out there--the offshore is wide and deep. oh, and you're welcome back any time you want.

90chevy396
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 90chevy396 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 am

congrats gyro figured it wouldn't last long at that price weather people like the concept or not that was a hell of a deal. I spoke to you about the 240 fisherman. really liked the idea of having a go cart style boat but wasn't in the cards. good luck with the offshore lifestyle. good talking to ya
13' LASER W/455 BUICK DD SINGLE FRONT DOUBLE REAR WHIRL WIND PROPELLER

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:42 am

Great deal 4grand for any good airboat you will never find an aircraft airboat at that price. Too bad it's a Chevy :)

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gobblerD » Tue May 17, 2016 10:28 am

gyrocopter582 wrote:
You guys be safe. I'm out. :thefinger:
Once your a member here there is NO getting OUT!! LOL

JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:10 pm

My Ecotec runs fantastic has 120 hours on it. Old fart always thought you were kind of an ass this definitely removed all doubt in my mind.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:46 pm

DynaMarine wrote:If an engine has to run trouble free for "well over a half century" before its considers a "viable airboat power plant" in your opinion....I am glad you are not in charge of any kind of R&D or powertrain development of any sort. Most engines now a days have been torture tested by manufacturers to simulate YEARS of abuse in the worst conditions. Hell they done one test where they took an LS (can't remember which model) and ran it for something like 100+hrs going back and forth from peak tq (4800ish) to peak HP (6400) and the sucker still wouldn't spit it's guys out. Try that with your SBC or BBC. I'm no AC guy but how would an AC engine due running back and forth between 75% and 100% throttle for 100+hrs straight?

These ecotechs are tough little motors and every bit a viable option in IMHO. I built one for the Dtate of Kansas game wardens and they LOVE it. Run 50+ mile trips and average 6-7mpg using a 200hp 2.4L Ecotec with 2.38 box and 2-blade 74" NGQ. On a 13'6 x 7'6 aluminum poly boat that'll run sticky sandbars...seems viable option to me. Then again to each their own.
What about the other 2 you built?

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy » Thu May 19, 2016 3:24 pm

im just pissed off i didnt see this before ya sold it

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Thu May 19, 2016 3:27 pm

me too, when I went go look it was already sold.

pierson skunkape
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by pierson skunkape » Fri May 20, 2016 9:41 am

Wanna start offshore fishin....ain't many REAL people in that sport anymore :lol: :roll: ....grew up fishing out of Ponce inlet when you didn't need to haul an attorney to tell ya what you can bring home......30 ft...offshore boat 2 yes dry......but I drag that beat up Airgator anywhere I can get away in the marsh............just ramblings of an old daytona cracker......good luck with that offshore thing, won't last long....long as you got deep pockets........riding Potts Preserve or Ponce Inlet ..... :slap: :violent1: .....nobrainer....CCAA wins....poker run tomorrow....swimming hole... :cheers: :florida: :rebel:

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick » Fri May 20, 2016 1:51 pm

we will be there looks like it's going to be a good day

Return to “Automotive Power Only”