Cadillac

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Cadillac

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:09 pm

Headed to Potts / Hernando in morning to do some testing on the new 542 stroker.

Mr. Branch is going to ride along if your a Cadillac fan and want to see the new engine opinion we should be at the swimming hole around 11am for lunch.

fhp6
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Cadillac

Postby fhp6 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:01 pm

I headed to Inverness early Sunday morning from Georgia. Gonna try to visit the swimming hole around 4. If your still out I hope to see you.
:old_glory: FHP6
Citrus County Airboat Alliance (Member)
"USMC"
:florida:

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bdriller » Sun May 29, 2016 1:53 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Headed to Potts / Hernando in morning to do some testing on the new 542 stroker.

Mr. Branch is going to ride along if your a Cadillac fan and want to see the new engine opinion we should be at the swimming hole around 11am for lunch.

I am totally interested please post up, he builds caddy beasts with long shelph life expectancy !!

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Sun May 29, 2016 10:38 am

Good Luck. I'm sure she is gonna be a beast. keep us posted and tell Buddy I said Hello.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:22 pm

The new build ran great, lots of torque and turning lower RPMs than expected. Had some rain move in so we headed back to the ramp early but had a great day none the less. Lot's of boats out today, sorry we missed you fhp6!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 pm

John C wrote:Good Luck. I'm sure she is gonna be a beast. keep us posted and tell Buddy I said Hello.

John C, how much time do you have on that ol' Branch Caddy by now? I know you used it hard for a lot of years. :glasses7:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Let me tell you about that engine!

It was recently run in an overheat by the person that JC had sold it to. My understanding was it slipped a lower radiator hose and cooked off. The gentleman had done some work on it himself but had issues with it and decided to leave the Cadillac family and go BBC.

The old JC engine a 519 with a solid lifter mechanical cam running TD shaft rockers was sold back to Mr. Branch as a pile of parts. On my occasional visits to the Branch shop to help with my 542 build I got to see the old JC engine get torn down. Let me tell you for an engine that ran on a box and had who knows how many of hundreds of hours on it over almost 10 years the darn thing looked like new inside. In fact Branch is in the process of doing a freshen up (ball hone, rings, mains, cam, rod bearings) on it and will put the short block on a stand until he decides what to do with it.

JC what oil did you run and what fuel were you using? It was clean inside and hardly any wear.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon May 30, 2016 10:33 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Let me tell you about that engine!

It was recently run in an overheat by the person that JC had sold it to. My understanding was it slipped a lower radiator hose and cooked off. The gentleman had done some work on it himself but had issues with it and decided to leave the Cadillac family and go BBC.

The old JC engine a 519 with a solid lifter mechanical cam running TD shaft rockers was sold back to Mr. Branch as a pile of parts. On my occasional visits to the Branch shop to help with my 542 build I got to see the old JC engine get torn down. Let me tell you for an engine that ran on a box and had who knows how many of hundreds of hours on it over almost 10 years the darn thing looked like new inside. In fact Branch is in the process of doing a freshen up (ball hone, rings, mains, cam, rod bearings) on it and will put the short block on a stand until he decides what to do with it.

JC what oil did you run and what fuel were you using? It was clean inside and hardly any wear.

Thanks, Swamphunter .... yeah, I know John C. pretty well and he always took good care of his stuff, but when he gets ready to go it's 'game on'.
I know that he ran it for years, and as a box motor, which is way out of the norm for most Caddiys. We do know that block is well seasoned now and will probably run another man many more years one day. :thumbleft:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby pontoon outlaw » Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 am

:thumbleft: well take some pics of that beast and post em up dang!!!!

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:51 pm

That was a strong running motor. I sure miss that Caddy boat. I always ran 93 in her. And the most important thing is listen to Buddy and do what he tells you to do, from break in, to oil changes. One of his motors will live for a very long time on an airboat. If it wasn't for that radiator hose failure that motor would still be running strong today.

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby crowhater » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:29 pm

My old Stroker Caddy engine is still alive and kicking in my old Redriver boat in West Texas. The new owner said all he has done is change oil and plugs since he purchased the boat years ago.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

Return to “Automotive Power Only”