Adapting sending units and gages on my new engine

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Adapting sending units and gages on my new engine

Post by akblackdawg » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Some of you know I no longer have my BBC and have been slowly making progress installing a new LS3 in my boat. Problem and questions I have now regarding gages. I have Faria gages in my boat, motor came with stock chevy instrument sending units for oil and temp. It also came with automotive wiring harness so I have all sorts of extra wires and plugs that I will need to take care of once the boat is up and running. Tomorrow I will go out looking for bushing, etc, to adapt my Faria sending units to the metric threads in the block. Does not look like temp unit will be a problem, plenty of room around it, oil pressure unit is small diameter coming out, and my much larger sending unit from Faria will not fit due to the FI. Will I have a problem using a 4 inch tube extension up above the engine to mount the oil unit, I hate to have it sticking up like that, but see no other choice. I will call Faria tomorrow and see if they offer a unit that will fit without using a extension in the LS3 block. After the sending units are in, I expect I will have to run separate wires to my gages, since it appears the harness supplied just sends the wiring to a plug for the chevy instrument panel. I hope there isn't any kind of sensor that comes with the stock harness that will cause to motor to shut down if the stock wires are not connected to the stock sending units.
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Swampbuggy
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Adapting sending units and gages on my new engine

Post by Swampbuggy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:34 pm

We use a short pipe and a 45 so that the sending unit at a angel

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:39 am

I know autometer makes an oil sending adapter part #2268 it is 16mmx1.5 to 1/8" female and Classic gauges make a 12mm water temp sensor for the stock location.

A few companies make a blockoff style plate with the 1/8" female coming out the side instead of the top. ICT Billet part #551534.

hogdoggin
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by hogdoggin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:52 am

Just something to think about a buddy of mine had a problem with a caddy motor couldn't get the oil sending unit to fit down by the intake so he put a pipe extension On well about 3 rides later the pipe broke at the threads and he wiped the motor out. I personally would look into doing it some other way.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:39 pm

just thought I'd mention, but one problem I ran into in switching my sending units was with the temp sending unit. with adaptors, I had removed the stock chev automobile unit that came with the motor and installed my aftermarket send unit to match up with my gages. instead of using the harness that came with the engine, I ran the wires separate for the sending units. when I was ready to fire up the motor, I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out why it would not start, several calls to the mfg, etc, until I mentioned to them that I had changed sending units. it seems that this sending unit is critical to motor running. it has a feed to the computer that tunes the engine to run correctly as it warms up, once I plugged in the old (new) sending unit, motor fired right up and ran great. Little thing like this make a big difference with the ls motors,
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:42 pm

You might want to carry a spare one of those!

I love my old Cadillac...lol

Return to “Automotive Power Only”