new corvette engine

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

new corvette engine

Post by Bdriller » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:09 am

while searching for a ls motor for a new boat build I ran up on a 2016 NA corvette motor with 3 miles on it for a ridiculous low price includes all hardware, computer and harness anybody know any down sides to this engine came out in 2014, so far all I see is no power steering bracket. Also I have selected a ls6 with 243 heads going with edelbrock carb and msd need cam recommendations.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: new corvette engine

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:44 am

Bdriller wrote:while searching for a ls motor for a new boat build I ran up on a 2016 NA corvette motor with 3 miles on it for a ridiculous low price includes all hardware, computer and harness anybody know any down sides to this engine came out in 2014, so far all I see is no power steering bracket. Also I have selected a ls6 with 243 heads going with edelbrock carb and msd need cam recommendations.
Honestly I would lean toward a mass performance engine. Not mocking that engine I would rather a purpose built engine that is made for my application. In the long run you will be much happier.

blow boat
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by blow boat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:56 am

Yeah mast motors are the only ones
You should run nothing else is any good..
The thought process of some people astounds
Gm crate,water thunder, whites anybody
Other than Mast is sub parr...... Better
Hurry call mast :violent1:

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:45 am

The Gen V LS motors look really cool. The stock LT1 makes 460 HSP and is direct injected. The problem with the Gen V motors is that the aftermarket isn't that strong. This makes it harder to get parts and the parts are more expensive. Personally I am waiting on an aftermarket EFI for the Gen V to come out from Holley or FAST before I give one a shot. 8)

So I saw a DB rigged boat getting pulled back to the ramp 3 months ago with a brand new 416 CI MAST motor. :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: Don't know what was wrong, but they pulled it 8 miles back to the ramp. :shock:

Also there are more stock components in these "purpose built for airboats" motors than most people realize. The LSA motors are all stock except for the tune. For engines under 700 HSP, nearly all of the engines from WT, MAST, TKE, etc. are using the following stock parts:

1. Engine Block
2. The stock crank will definitely survive in an airboat. Most builders recommend upgrading the pistons and rods along with ARP rod bots.
3. Heads (with double springs and trunnion kit; also the stock LS3/L92 heads flow 317 CFMs)
4. Lifters
5. Rockers
6. Oil Plan (my WT 418 came with a Gen IV truck pan)
7. Intake Manifold
8. Coil Packs
9. Front, Rear, and Valve Covers

And you don't have to take my word on this. Go look at the websites for WT and TKE. Also there is a ton of info on the web on this topic. Given how well stock LS components do in an airboat, why would anybody want to run an A/C motor. :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:40 am

@ blow boat - Not that it effects the point you are making, but just so you are aware . . .
There are MAS Performance engines and there are MAST Motorsports engines.
They are two different outfits. When people use the names interchangeably it only creates confusion.

@ CarMotorBarge - You make a very good point about 'purpose built' vs 'purpose tuning'. That is all good information and could save someone a lot of time researching before they jumped in that end of the pool. I will watch for your indication that such a Gen V EFI has become available. On a similar but different note, when comparing such similar later model apples, should one just simply seek out the one that produces the most HP at WFOT, or should the associated torque curve possibly be given some kind of consideration? :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:08 am

Going to the 2014 Gen V LS may be like taking on an EcoTech build. They have a lot of technology that may prove a challenge in an airboat application.

1) Active Fuel Management - direct injection turning cylinders off and on

2) VVT

Note: Compression 11.5 : 1 with a new piston design could be risky.

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bdriller » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:34 am

All good points I think its to soon for the new corvette engine need to let the after market catch up, and glad mas,mass, mast, has been cleared up, I recently met keith from MAS performance hell of a nice very informed fellow, based on his knowledge and theyre warranty I would recomend them.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:15 pm

blow boat wrote:Yeah mast motors are the only ones
You should run nothing else is any good..
The thought process of some people astounds
Gm crate,water thunder, whites anybody
Other than Mast is sub parr...... Better
Hurry call mast :violent1:
I was just giving a good example of a good engine for an air boat I never said they were the only ones. :slap:

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 21DiamondB » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Still tryin y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------- 16.5 x 8 Diamondback - 632ci - Oxbox 2. 55 - Sensenich 5-Blade JX---------

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Deano wrote:@ CarMotorBarge - You make a very good point about 'purpose built' vs 'purpose tuning'. That is all good information and could save someone a lot of time researching before they jumped in that end of the pool. I will watch for your indication that such a Gen V EFI has become available. On a similar but different note, when comparing such similar later model apples, should one just simply seek out the one that produces the most HP at WFOT, or should the associated torque curve possibly be given some kind of consideration? :)
Who cares whether it is HSP or torque that turns the prop. 8) As long as you got a car motor and it turns more prop than an A/C motor or an EcoTurd, you are good to go. :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:44 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Going to the 2014 Gen V LS may be like taking on an EcoTech build. They have a lot of technology that may prove a challenge in an airboat application.

2) VVT

The compression ratio doesn't scare me. The new motors coming out keep increasing the compression and making more torque. Would like to see the torque curve on a Gen V motor with a few aftermarket upgrades. 8) Give the aftermarket time and they will get it figured out. Just think 20 years in the future everybody will be talking about how the Gen V motors are obsolete technology.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:00 pm

CarMotorBarge wrote: As long as you got a car motor and it turns more prop than an A/C motor or an EcoTurd, you are good to go. :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:
CMB that hurts man, why you lumpin me in with the e-turds? :shock: :stirpot: :toothy7:

Can't you CM guys just get along?? :violent1:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:09 pm

That's right, "If", you can turn more prop than a ecoturd....:). I like how you put that JR!

:stirpot:

:angel4:
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

blow boat
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by blow boat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Deano wrote:@ blow boat - Not that it effects the point you are making, but just so you are aware . . .
There are MAS Performance engines and there are MAST Motorsports engines.
They are two different outfits. When people use the names interchangeably it only creates confusion.

@ CarMotorBarge - You make a very good point about 'purpose built' vs 'purpose tuning'. That is all good information and could save someone a lot of time researching before they jumped in that end of the pool. I will watch for your indication that such a Gen V EFI has become available. On a similar but different note, when comparing such similar later model apples, should one just simply seek out the one that produces the most HP at WFOT, or should the associated torque curve possibly be given some kind of consideration? :)

Your right it doesn't effect the point,but note taken :thumbleft:

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:25 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Going to the 2014 Gen V LS may be like taking on an EcoTech build. They have a lot of technology that may prove a challenge in an airboat application.

2) VVT

Note quite like an Scotch but not far off LOL.

Kolby and the crew at TKE has had the Gen V engines running stand alone for a good 6 months already. They've worked with the GM COPO program and even done a LT 418ci with 2.3L blower...very impressive but Kolby still wants to do another 6 months of hammering these things on and off the dyno before he'll offer them with a warranty out the door. Not bad business, and I can't wait to have a 418/427 LT motor on one of my boats. :D :D :D
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

Return to “Automotive Power Only”