Motor choices/reliabilty can of worms!

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
marshrat
Southern Airboat Member

Motor choices/reliabilty can of worms!

Post by marshrat »

In the market for a new ride and seriously thinking about leaving the AC world! Had some questions for those that have them or know.
I have had the opportunity to test drive some stupid powerful boats recently, but I just ride and watch the speedsters!
I want a ride/family/hunt boat 14x8 aluminum hull w/polly pretty basic ,seating for 3-4 450-500hp w/2.3 or 2.68 box.
I do not race or have the need to go 80mph !!!!!
Most of the big builders are pushing the PCM 6.o or 6.2 Ls motors the 6.2 having the supercharger on it and slightly more Hp. Pretty tame motors and I have driven both they seem plenty powerful.
The Big LS guys like Wt,TKE Mast etc are available and slightly less weight with great motors, but again just looking at long term ownership costs. Im looking at it like a daily driver vs a trailer queen maybe thats wrong?
Meaning my Chevelle was always being tinkered with vs my Silverado that just needed fuel,oil, and started when the key was turned and did what it needed to do.
With the amount of $$$ some of these boats are pushing I'm really questioning if I may be slightly crazy for even considering it, just looking for some feedback from folks that have made the choice on powering their boats!
Thanks
Team ChugMonkey Drink Hard or Go Home
14x8 DB with Ls Power :naka:

odcjohn
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Motor choices/reliabilty can of worms!

Post by odcjohn »

ive built both ls, sbc, caddy etc. for a bunch of boats seem like the best bang for your buck is a sbc 383 i just finished one up last week that makes over 450hp its on a 13ft diamond back cost him 4500$ intake to pan all new parts except for block

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Being a CSOB an unable to justify half of what some of those rigs go for,
I will sit this one out and watch . . . as I try once more to see how that is done. :lol:

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Dixiedog60
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dixiedog60 »

After many blown engines--- AC , Caddy, 383 , I did not seem to matter, I broke them all in short order, its a special nack I have even though I am a maintainence nut!!! ,then I went with the WT418 ( FI added this year). First three it was carbed with a Holley. I wish I done that FI alot sooner. Now I am Happy Happy ! Thanks Dave!!
Freedom is Abridged by Silent Encroachment.---James Madison

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge »

marshrat wrote:In the market for a new ride and seriously thinking about leaving the AC world! Had some questions for those that have them or know.
I have had the opportunity to test drive some stupid powerful boats recently, but I just ride and watch the speedsters!
I want a ride/family/hunt boat 14x8 aluminum hull w/polly pretty basic ,seating for 3-4 450-500hp w/2.3 or 2.68 box.
Most of the big builders are pushing the PCM 6.o or 6.2 Ls motors the 6.2 having the supercharger on it and slightly more Hp. Pretty tame motors and I have driven both they seem plenty powerful.
The Big LS guys like Wt,TKE Mast etc are available and slightly less weight with great motors, but again just looking at long term ownership costs. Im looking at it like a daily driver vs a trailer queen maybe thats wrong?
Meaning my Chevelle was always being tinkered with vs my Silverado that just needed fuel,oil, and started when the key was turned and did what it needed to do.
With the amount of $$$ some of these boats are pushing I'm really questioning if I may be slightly crazy for even considering it, just looking for some feedback from folks that have made the choice on powering their boats!
Thanks
I am not that far from you. Let me know if you would like to go for a ride and see how an LS performs. It is hard to beat first hand experience.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

I recently did what you are thinking of doing. The hardest part was parting from an ac engine I have worked on for several years and that is just it the wording WORKED ON. Either way ac or car engine if you spend you get a good boat if you do not spend you will be working on it. The pros and cons I see so far.

Cons-car engine boat is heavy like a barge.
Cost is pretty high to get started the right way.

Pros-believe it or not it is quieter then my old boat.
has WAY more power-go anywhere and pull a boat with you.
parts well is there a parts store and Jeg's, Summit and the rest of them are a simple click on the internet away and CHEAP.
Stability went up 100% guess it is because it's heavy.
I could go on and on.

Wish I had done this many years ago. To all the parts are getting harder to find guy's----I can now find them even on Amazon. :dontknow:

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats »

I have had a three 540's and even went the gearboxed 540 route for a while. Then I had waterthunder build be a 500 hp efi ls 3 that I beat on for 4 1/2 and put a pile of hours on it . It has been an awesome motor I just had him build me another engine and I am sure it will be as good as the last one.
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

462kwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 462kwells »

CarMotorBarge wrote:
marshrat wrote:In the market for a new ride and seriously thinking about leaving the AC world! Had some questions for those that have them or know.
Thanks
I am not that far from you. Let me know if you would like to go for a ride and see how an LS performs. It is hard to beat first hand experience.
Let me caution you about riding on the LS3 CarMotorBarge he took me for a ride a couple of years ago and it cost me $45,000. reason being I was so impressed I had one built

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

462kwells wrote:
CarMotorBarge wrote:
Thanks
Let me caution you about riding on the LS3 CarMotorBarge he took me for a ride a couple of years ago and it cost me $45,000. reason being I was so impressed I had one built
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn that's funny right there!

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Lot's of great choices out there :stirpot:

Pick a competent engine builder and you don't have problems.

DIY, mickey machine shop, crate cheapie get what you pay for regardless of platform.

Over and over the lesson is a purpose built engine from a qualified builder is the key to longevity.

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge »

462kwells wrote:
CarMotorBarge wrote:
Thanks
What else are friends for. LOL
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

Return to “Automotive Power Only”