Electric water pump????

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Electric water pump????

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:28 am

I am considering going to an electric water pump for those fast shut downs during hunting anyone here running one?

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Electric water pump????

Post by southern safaris » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:33 am

Ive ran several on small blocks and big blocks and really like them, never had an issue yet and i like the fact i can shut down and still be circ water if i ever get one hot .. And i was very skeptical when i tried my first one but i like them now
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:56 am

I like them but hate them for customers. Unless you racing I would never run one. I refuse to put one on a customers motor I have seen 6 plus people tear up a motor because of some weird issue. I STRONGLY SUGGEST DO NOT RUN ONE BUT IF YOU DO,,,,, USE THE POWER WIRE TO YOUR water pump to also run your TACH SO IF YOU FORGET TO TURN IT ON YOU WILL NOTICE YOUR TACH NOT WORKING AND NOT BLOW UP YOUR MOTOR. This way you can run your water pump safely without having a hot ignition. But I will say once again you will gain very very little with a electric water pump but will DRAMATICALLY INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF PROBLEMS. I have even seen a bad battery connection over heat a motor with a electric pump.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 am

southern safaris wrote:Ive ran several on small blocks and big blocks and really like them, never had an issue yet and i like the fact i can shut down and still be circ water if i ever get one hot .. And i was very skeptical when i tried my first one but i like them now
What brand have you used?

I would run a relay from the water pump line that relay would go to the ignition so if the pump shuts down so does the engine.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Careful with anything that kills engine automatically. You may lose power when you need it most to save a life or avoid something serious.

Loud alarms are a good choice in my opinion. Set the trigger temp sufficiently low and you will have time to safely shut the engine down.

Certainly can relate to a quick shut down desire for hunting and engine longevity.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southern safaris » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Not sure if id run it where it would kill engine .... My luck it would shut down when i was on plane in deep! I always just wired them in where it would run when key was on ,(relayed and fused ofcourse) and i can definatly see daves point and im not suggesting use one but they worked for me...
But to answer your question on where i got em i cant remember the brand but they where just ebay specials about $150 bucks i think , ones still on a boat 2 years old and no telling the hours on that ol thing but it gets run 2 to 3 times a week bowfishin
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:01 am

OneBFC wrote:Careful with anything that kills engine automatically. You may lose power when you need it most to save a life or avoid something serious.

Loud alarms are a good choice in my opinion. Set the trigger temp sufficiently low and you will have time to safely shut the engine down.

Certainly can relate to a quick shut down desire for hunting and engine longevity.
Good point I can wire it to my warning alarm that's loud enough.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:51 am

I'm still wondering why U want to run an electric pump on a hunt boat. Might want to figure out a way to make your motor run cooler if that's the issue?
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:34 pm

Rich Andrews wrote:I'm still wondering why U want to run an electric pump on a hunt boat. Might want to figure out a way to make your motor run cooler if that's the issue?
If we are running hard sometimes we shut down real fast that stops the water pump bringing the heat up so if there is a electric water pump it will still pump cooling that extra heat down.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:41 pm

hmmm I get that, but it still doesnt justify the risks associated w running an electric water pump. Especially hunting but some people hunt off trails, others make them. I'd be really cautious about pulling one of those tiny wires off w a stick, but that's just me. My motor never sees over 200 no matter how hard it is pushed, unless a stick goes thru the radiator which caused me 5k worth of rebuild. Good luck, the message has been clear here, the choice is yours

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Ok so everything I can find tells me these boats are being built backwards as for the radiator it really needs to be level or higher then the engine and a electric water pump may cavitate with the radiator lower then the engine. Possible another project needing to be fixed?

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:24 am

What type of hunting are you doing? What temperature is the engine running at when you run it hard?
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:43 am

CarMotorBarge wrote:What type of hunting are you doing? What temperature is the engine running at when you run it hard?
What was happening is we would be going through some wooded are hunting a gator down when we got close we'd either shut down or drop to idle and the temp would rise around 200-210 if I gave it a little gas it would cool right off or if I just waited it would cool down but I want to get rid of that whole temp rise. I put a block off plate in place of my thermostat that may fix it but figure if I put an electric pump on that would still pump strong and keep it from ever rising. The thermostat may have been the issue but like the idea very much of an electric pump.

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by CarMotorBarge » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Just keep in mind that with the engine off a large percentage of the cooling capacity of your cooling system will be lost because the prop isn't pulling air thru the radiator. The electric water pump will be handicapped with the motor off. My recommendation is to figure out what is wrong and fix it. You aren't running the boat that hard because you are still in the water.

Also here is a data point to compare your boat to. Last weekend I had to pull a broken down tour boat 4 miles to the ramp. I had to run at a constant 5,200 to 5,300 RPMs to keep the boat on plane. My motor is set to 5,800 5,900 at WOT. While pulling this tour boat, my engine only got up to 180 to 185. Also I have an aluminum block which helps with the cooling. Aluminum dissipates heat twice as fast as cast iron.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:40 pm

if your getting that hot hunting gators you have other issues w your motor or cooling system...imo

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:05 pm

You have other problems. I hunt eggs in the middle of July as hard as you can run and do not have a temperature problem at all. I run a 4 core radiator that I bought from hamant. I absolutely would not risk an electric water pump on a hunt or ride boat.
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:27 pm

I agree ..... a larger radiator and a conventional but dual belt water pump drive (for backup) makes a lot more sense to me. It's the old adage .... K.I.S.S.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:00 am

I have not tried it out yet since going to a restricted plate but that may have been the issue the thermostat.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:47 am

Ok found out that a Motown aluminum engine block does not have a water pump bypass hole so you can not run a thermostat in it or you will experience what I have been gong through. We shall see how it does next time I go out.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:45 am

My old SBC block I had Felber drill some extra plum lines in the block and heads and that motor never got hot...until i put a stick thru the radiator

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:18 am

Rich Andrews wrote:My old SBC block I had Felber drill some extra plum lines in the block and heads and that motor never got hot...until i put a stick thru the radiator
I was running a thermostat I am sure that was my issue. But will test it this week to be 100% sure.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”