Gearbox talk

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Gearbox talk

Post by Prototype »

Swamp?
It's about like people searching old posts to look for a deal on a new to them drive?

Golden is posting to a year old post and probably lucky things havn't changed substantially. Other than scotty rolling him to the classifieds for a used something.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Exactly why I commented with "research" Proto, and your comments to James back in January ring true. That said a person cannot look at another persons choice without knowing all the specs and base the decision off of their choice. My Cadillac application is a prime example.
LevyNole
Southern Airboat Member

Post by LevyNole »

I was surprised to see someone had a Felber motor that was still alive.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality Ayn Rand
Oligarchy: It's a big club and you ain't in it.
Moritz
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Moritz »

He built a good motor when hestatted
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

He still builds a bad ass motor, jut wont sell to airboaters he doesn't know any more.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

You gotta wonder why that is Bear when Branch builds nearly all his for airboats and MAS does too.

MAST removed airboat engines in the 2018 catalog online.

My guess it's the "severe duty application" putting a car motor into a role it was not designed for. Really a shame because you always heard good things about his builds.
Moritz
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Moritz »

The first one he built for me has over 300 hours on it and it was not built with cheep parts. Had a comp cam roller fail at 300 hours and on inspection it was built with best parts. motor still running. I bought from Mike direct in 2007. The second -built in 2013 - I bought 2017 from the owner new. It laster 4 hours and it was built with junk parks and poor machine work.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

I will comment on the last from personal experience I choose not to run CompCam lifters.

Now there are folks on here I'm sure that will argue but having built numerous engines for airboats the only failed roller lifter I ever encountered was a CompCam brand purchased factory direct from them.

Howard's are my choice and I don't care if someone says they all come from the same supplier the Comp spec lifter failed me from day 1 and one bitten twice shy.

Love their cams but I'll pass in the lifters.
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

LevyNole wrote:I was surprised to see someone had a Felber motor that was still alive.
Not that it does not apply but having trouble finding a link between FELBER and Gearbox Talk from a year ago?

I'm surprised daily at other airboaters and drivers but has nothing to do with Felber and less with a gearbox talk!

Post your own Felber ? That has nothing to do with Gear drives unless it's timing gears!

Swamp
Twisted my retro roller comp cam up in a sbc and nothing but delight. Nothing but delight with properly installed comp lifters!
No Worries! Many people do the same thing wrong over and over but Felber is not one of them.
LevyNole
Southern Airboat Member

Post by LevyNole »

Prototype wrote:
LevyNole wrote:I was surprised to see someone had a Felber motor that was still alive.
Not that it does not apply but having trouble finding a link between FELBER and Gearbox Talk from a year ago?

I'm surprised daily at other airboaters and drivers but has nothing to do with Felber and less with a gearbox talk!

Post your own Felber ? That has nothing to do with Gear drives unless it's timing gears!

Swamp
Twisted my retro roller comp cam up in a sbc and nothing but delight. Nothing but delight with properly installed comp lifters!
No Worries! Many people do the same thing wrong over and over but Felber is not one of them.
LOL interwebs soup Nazi. At least my comment generated some new convo on an old thread. Including yours. Maybe you should start one on time limits regarding what others are discussing so you may police it in your rather incoherent fashion.

To the topic: I wouldn't mind trying a 2.38 to see how it would perform compared to my current 2.55 swinging an 80" R blade.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality Ayn Rand
Oligarchy: It's a big club and you ain't in it.
Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

Guess I got lucky, ran the dog piss out of mine for many yrs, not sure how many hrs it had on it and I keep it at 4500 plus off the trail. If it wasnt for a stick thru my radiator id still be running the same motor.

Rebuilt it with a new block, same new cam, same pistons,same rods, same high dollar parts Felber specked out for it, turned the crank and re did the valves and its still a bad ass motor. But I also make sure the carb is properly tuned and dialed in thanks to Ed Mack.. something a lot of people dont take the time or $$ to invest in. Seen many new motor builds and someone slapping a carb right out of a box off the shelf and off they go. SMH

Worst thing Felber ever did was let people talk him into using old junk parts and not let him spec everything himself.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Indeed !
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”